🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 59.5 — Minisode 59.5

Paul mentioned that MAYBE we will get this episode next week? Maybe?

I'm scared.

what i like about this reference is that before you specified which guy from step by step i had honestly already thought of three other people from the show to be "Guy From Step By Step." amazingly i had forgotten THE CODESTER

LOL, I would love to see a martial arts movie starring Patrick Duffy.

I went to see this at the theaters when I was a kid, and it was AMAZING. Second only to Mortal Kombat (hint hint, Paul Scheer).

Its STILL amazing.

• Like 1

To this day, Phantom Menace is still the only movie I've ever been to that received a standing ovation. I did not agree with this ovation, but clearly that movie wasn't as big a kick in the fans' balls as everyone now thinks it was...

The only people who would have given The Phantom Menace a standing ovation would have been huge fan boys, and you can't trust their opinion. They had been watiting decades for that to come out so no matter what Lucas made they were going to make themselves love it.

It's like people who believe the moon landing was fake, they've believed it was fake for so long to admit they were wrong would be admitting they've wasted most of their life.

The only JCVD movie that is any good is Bloodsport.

van-damme.gif

• Like 5

street fighter! only one thing to say...oh boy oh boy

Something to keep an eye out for when viewing - the final shot of the movie has all of the actors in the body positions that they take in the video game when they win a match. It's like an amazingly crazy exclamation point at the end of the movie.

Also, I think that at some point HDTGM is going to have to Do "Street Fighter: the Legend of Chun-li" so that they can experience Chris Pine channeling the spirits of Nic Cage and Don Johnson's Crockett character from Miami Vice. it is insane.

• Like 1

van-damme.gif

"SAY IIIIIIIIIT!!!!!"

As a former HUGE Van Damme fanboy (Vanboy?), this is one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

I remember seeing The Phantom Menace opening night, people came in costumes, kids dressed up as Jedi's. everyone had so high spirits, the moment the Lucas film logo came up everyone was cheering. about a week later I got sucked into seeing it again with another group of friends and it was a different reaction. no energy in the crowd everyone got up and quietly left the theater.

Not really excited about Street Fighter. i'd rather see Paul,Jason and June play the game Street fighter video game then watch this movie. I hope the podcast makes up for the movie selection . sometimes that happens, you watch a movie from this podcast with no excitement at all like opening a bad crappy Christmas gift and the next day your filled wtih the heart of laughter at it all.

"SAY IIIIIIIIIT!!!!!"

As a former HUGE Van Damme fanboy (Vanboy?), this is one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

Fun fact: the bad guy in Bloodsport is Bolo Yeung who was also in the most famous martial arts movie of all time, Enter the Dragon. He's a big star in Asia, but never got a movie, or the lead, that broke him out here in the States.

what i like about this reference is that before you specified which guy from step by step i had honestly already thought of three other people from the show to be "Guy From Step By Step." amazingly i had forgotten THE CODESTER

I think he got kicked off the show because he karate chopped his girlfriend and/or wife. He was crazy, which makes me wonder how he acted on the set.

His side of the story is that he was protecting his kids from their drug addicted, physically abusive mother, and given that he has full custody and she has limited access, the courts appear to have agreed with his side.

Yeah, sorry Paul, but considering Uwe Boll's body of work, this is hardly the worst Video Game adaptation of all time.

And Raul Julia is awesome in this movie. You can tell he was having a fucking blast making one last movie for his kids. Just keep in mind that this is also not even close to being the worst Raul Julia film of all time. (*cough*overdrawnatthememorybank*cough*)

• Like 1

His side of the story is that he was protecting his kids from their drug addicted, physically abusive mother, and given that he has full custody and she has limited access, the courts appear to have agreed with his side.

Well, if there is any reason to karate chop a woman...

wikipedia says code-man is a black belt in tae kwon do. way too unironically interested in Guy From Step By Step now. i think we have the antagonist for the movie bolo yeung finally gets to star in.

LOL, I would love to see a martial arts movie starring Patrick Duffy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2msIhcjomM

Wish granted. I taped this episode of Step By Step as a kid and watched this scene over and over because I thought it was so cool. I know it so well, I can actually tell there's a fight with a henchman missing from this clip. They worked Sasha Mitchell's martial arts abilities into the show on occasion, but this was obviously the most gratuitous example.

• Like 2

What I don't understand about this movie is how hard it tries to invent a plot for an adaptation of a video game called "Street Fighter." I mean, you could have basically made a Bloodsport sequel, just with different character names and designs and you would have a perfectly serviceable adaptation of that game. Instead, you have a movie that attempts to create a dozen main characters and nothing makes any sense. The Mario Brothers movie suffers from this as well, what with all its added "story." At least the first Mortal Kombat movie is basically about a tournament of people fighting, which is what the game was. I mean, this movie even casts JCVD in a role and, as pointed out earlier in this thread, the "best" JCVD movies follow a certain formula and that formula would probably have made for a less moronic movie.

Still, Raul Julia is fun as all hell to watch in this thing. His monologues are all great and especially that "for me, it was Tuesday" bit is fucking classic. RIP, good sir.

I caught this movie last night, luckily for me it is on both Netflix and LoveFilm Instant here in the U.K.

Having watched this as a kid I have to say I really enjoyed re-watching this, not just at how bad it was but genuinely funny and enjoyable. If it wasn’t for all the fighting it could have been a funny dictator spoof movie in the vein of The Great Dictator and the like.

More than a few really good crazy moments, some highlights include:-

The assault on Bisons base turning into a terrible video game homage, including joystick and button controls in the exact layout as Street Fighter.

The amazing P.A. announcements at the beginning of practically every scene M*A*S*H style. Props to the punch up writers.

"Good morning, Shadoloo!"

Whatever Kylie Minogue shouts as she kicks a henchman during the assault. (I rewound it like 10 times and still couldn’t make it out)

Ming-Na Wen’s terrible reactions.

Ken’s very brief character arch.

Japanese soldiers watching the Zangief and E. Honda fight and it turning into a Godzilla homage literally had me laughing for about 5 minutes.

Whatever Kylie Minogue shouts as she kicks a henchman during the assault. (I rewound it like 10 times and still couldn’t make it out)

I dunno, it sounds like "Jurasskick." Maybe the character is a fan of dinosaur puns? I have to admit, I hardly ever played as Cammy when I played the games, so I'm not familiar with the character or her catchphrases.

Also, I do find it sort of hilarious that Guile's heroic moment comes from usurping the UN-analog's (AN, in the movie) authority and, after being fired, taking its armed forces for his own personal use, turning him into basically a paramilitary warlord.

And of course, the person giving the orders to the Officious Bureaucrat to bring Guile in is only referred to as MADAME Secretary, never to be seen on screen. Oh blatant sexism in action movies, what fun you are.

I dunno, it sounds like "Jurasskick." Maybe the character is a fan of dinosaur puns? I have to admit, I hardly ever played as Cammy when I played the games, so I'm not familiar with the character or her catchphrases.

Yeah, it's definitely close the that, I was thinking 'giraffe kick' for a while because it was such a high kick, either way it was hilarious.

here comes probably my most vulnerable and embarrassing post yet, but: cammy's signature move is cannon spike where she kicks upward, so maybe she was screaming that? im not really convinced tho, since she was my main in the series for a while and knew what she was supposed to yell there but still couldn't hear it.

but it's definitely a fun movie and a lot of the throw-away lines are pretty good. it's a movie that knows exactly what it's supposed to be and revels in it, which is also why i really like cool as ice. really the only part that is forgettable and doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the movie is the whole charlie/blanka thing, but i feel like this movie actually retconned that character? i thought in the second video game blanka was basically given the story of "oh, look at this weird thing that was found in the amazon."

• Like 1

One of my favorite things in the movie is when they're creating Blanka and they have a bunch of neon IV bags labeled "DNA Mutagen"

• Like 2

One of my favorite things in the movie is when they're creating Blanka and they have a bunch of neon IV bags labeled DNA Mutagen

DNA Mutagen is clearly only half of the equation, you also need plenty of Anabolic Plasma.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this