🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 59.5 — Minisode 59.5

Your next viewing assignment is considered the worst video game movie of all time starring the one and only Jean-Claude Van Damme. Paul has a special message for all the people upset with the episode on Spice World during Corrections & Omissions, tells us which movie he would probably be afraid to watch now but loved as a kid while answering your Qs, and asks fans if it would be worth doing a LIVE show in London.

8 year old me would have given this movie the best 5 star movie review if amazon was around when this came out. I seriously fucking loved this movie, definitely gonna watch it again before this episode.

It's also blatantly not the worst video game movie ever made. Even 8 year old me knew that Double Dragon was a stinking pile of goatturd.

pretty much. there is no nostalgia for double dragon and i think the only interesting thing about it is that one of the brothers is now the chairman on iron chef. meanwhile i own jcvd street fighter on blu-ray and it's a blast whether or not im sober.

I am SO glad you've decided to do this movie because, as a guy who grew up on Street Fighter II, I went to this the day it came out in Britain.

One thing that you need to bring up is that they actually released "Street Fighter: The Movie: The Video Game".

The morons actually released a video game, based on the movie, based on the video game! Not only that, it's made by using the actual actors in the movie.

streetfightermovie-scrn.jpg

What makes it even more ironic is that JCVD lends his likeness to a Mortal Kombat rip off, he was originally going to be in Mortal Kombat!

I can keep going for ages about this, from the "American" General being Belgian, with a thick accent, yet has an American Flag tattoed on his arm, a 7' tall Muay Thai fighter, who is 5'10" and doesn't know Muay Thai... there's just so much to talk about.

I cannot wait for this episode.

• Like 1

i don't want to, like, DEFEND this movie at any length, but it's always been a lot of fun, and just as much so when i was 7 as now at 27. i think 90% of its redeemable qualities come directly from raul julia who is just amazing in this movie and either really loves playing bison or is the greatest actor of his generation. also i'm pretty sure kylie minogue is hell of responsible for kickstarting my adolescence

I love this movie, it was on TV a few days ago at like 2am, and I couldn't stop watching it all over again.

The only JCVD movie that is any good is Bloodsport. I wouldn't consider Street Figther a true JCVD movie.

His movies follow a simple forumula: good guy comes into to town to find brother/friend/mentor. Good guy sees that this brother/friend/mentor is in trouble, and he wants to help. The best way to help is to beat alot of ass. Also, there is a scene where the good guy is dancing. Also, the guy beds his love interest in an incredibly graphic sex scene. More fighting. Guy meets up with the main villain. Main villian rapes/molests the good guy's love interest. All hell breaks loose as the the good guy let's out righteous fury. Boobs. Explosions. Fin.

For a true JCVD experience, I suggest you all watch Double Impact. This is full on B-movie goodness and I know help usher in adolescence to many men in their early 30s.

• Like 2

Street Fighter! YES!

I would've settled for Cyborg as well, but Street Fighter... this will be brilliant!

• Like 3

The only JCVD movie that is any good is Bloodsport. I wouldn't consider Street Figther a true JCVD movie.

His movies follow a simple forumula: good guy comes into to town to find brother/friend/mentor. Good guy sees that this brother/friend/mentor is in trouble, and he wants to help. The best way to help is to beat alot of ass. Also, there is a scene where the good guy is dancing. Also, the guy beds his love interest in an incredibly graphic sex scene. More fighting. Guy meets up with the main villain. Main villian rapes/molests the good guy's love interest. All hell breaks loose as the the good guy let's out righteous fury. Boobs. Explosions. Fin.

For a true JCVD experience, I suggest you all watch Double Impact. This is full on B-movie goodness and I know help usher in adolescence to many men in their early 30s.

What about Kickboxer? That's a great movie

JCVD's best movie is JCVD

• Like 1

So two things.

1) This movie IS coming to Netflix Streaming on May 1 according to my Roku app that tells me what's coming soon. If you really really want to watch it you can get it there.

2) A while back one of the lead developers of Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game popped up on the internet and recounted and answered questions about the process of making the game. Unfortunately the blog has disappeared, but the thread where he recounted the movie still exists and is still well worth a read:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/21457/street-fighter-the-movie-broke-my-heart

• Like 2

Uhh, I belive you forgot Lionheart

Also, I think he should watch Explorers. I own it, and it is still pretty great. But he's right about the 80's cranking out kids movies. A lot of them were space themed for some reason. Exploreres, Mac & Me, E.T., Flight of the Navigaotr (which is still tits), The Last Starfighter, Space Camp, etc.

What about Kickboxer? That's a great movie

That's in the formula. In no other martial arts movie do you have a scene where the main character has a dance sequence that ends up being a fight scene, ala Jackie Chan (using random objects in his environment as weapons). Tong Po rapes the girl that JCVD is seeing and he gets pissed. That's when Tong Po goes down. Still I think Bloodsport was his best work.

Uhh, I belive you forgot Lionheart

That was ok. I go see a JCVD movie to see graphic sex and violence. This movie delivered on the violence part, but fell short on the sex part, which is weird. Usually all of his movies have some sexual energy, but I think the fact that they made the love interest his sister-in-law meant that he couldn't get down like we were used to seeing.

That's in the formula. In no other martial arts movie do you have a scene where the main character has a dance sequence that ends up being a fight scene, ala Jackie Chan (using random objects in his environment as weapons). Tong Po rapes the girl that JCVD is seeing and he gets pissed. That's when Tong Po goes down. Still I think Bloodsport was his best work.

Oh yeah, Bloodsport is by far the best JCVD movie, did you see any of the Bloodsport or Kickboxer sequels?

Oh yeah, Bloodsport is by far the best JCVD movie, did you see any of the Bloodsport or Kickboxer sequels?

I think I saw one of them. It had that guy from Step by Step -- the drughead, Cody -- in it. He apparently is a legit martial arts and skillful woman beater.

tumblr_mc8qde6AtO1qaa8d1o1_500.gif

Raul Julia was just the greatest ever. Watching his movies makes me way sad.

But I am very looking forward to this one.

• Like 5

I think I saw one of them. It had that guy from Step by Step -- the drughead, Cody -- in it. He apparently is a legit martial arts and skillful woman beater.

what i like about this reference is that before you specified which guy from step by step i had honestly already thought of three other people from the show to be "Guy From Step By Step." amazingly i had forgotten THE CODESTER

To this day, Phantom Menace is still the only movie I've ever been to that received a standing ovation. I did not agree with this ovation, but clearly that movie wasn't as big a kick in the fans' balls as everyone now thinks it was...

There's five Kickboxer movies in all, the last one starring Mark Dacascos and four Bloodsport movies, two of which star Pat Morita. Funny thing about the Bloodsport sequels is there's one guy who is in 2, 3 and 4 as the lead, in 2 and 3, he's playing one character, then, in the 4th, he's the lead again, but as a completely different character.

Also, I think he should watch Explorers. I own it, and it is still pretty great. But he's right about the 80's cranking out kids movies. A lot of them were space themed for some reason. Exploreres, Mac & Me, E.T., Flight of the Navigaotr (which is still tits), The Last Starfighter, Space Camp, etc.

I imagine that's just a reflection of the 80s, when we still had a lot of optimism about space exploration.

Sign in to follow this