🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 76 — Foodie Terrorists

Join Billy Merritt, Andy Secunda, and Betsy Sodaro as they dive into a war between foodies on today’s improv4humans! They’ll do what it takes to look cool at a vampire rave, try to survive a life long game of assassin, and communicate with aliens through popular YouTube videos. Be careful of the fuck melons! Make sure to pick up an improv4humans shirt from the Earwolf Store and follow @MattBesser on Twitter to send in your improv suggestions. Music by Bobby Matthews and Dragoon. You can also now get Matt Besser’s new comedy album “Woo Pig Sooie: Comedy for Atheists” at mattbesser.com!

I feel like I say this every other week, but this was an absolute classic. The potato chip comercial audition sketch is one for the history books.

• Like 1

Betsy's scene ending F-bomb in the first scene was hilarious.

I agree with Jacob C. This show is consistently firing on all cylinders lately.

Since Veep was your sponsor this week and some of the show was dedicated to discussing casting, I was hoping I could ask a question about one of your frequent guests that you may be able to present to him next time he’s on. It’s for Zach Woods regarding the role of Jonah the White House aid on Veep. Jonah is incredibly similar, if not exactly the same in every way, to the character Zach played on In the Loop, Chad. Since Veep is essentially In the Loop for t.v. (same writers, director) and Anna Chlumsky was able to parlay the new version of the character she played on In the Loop to Veep, I’m just wondering what happened with Zach. The guy who plays Jonah is doing a fine job, but I’m a huge fan of Zach Woods and would much rather see him on there.

I know there are instances where a role will be written specifically for somebody, but the network decides to go with somebody else. Was this one of those? If it’s a sore spot, or un-kosher to essentially ask “hey why didn’t you get that part” I understand. The characters just seem too similar to be a coincidence and, in my opinion, he nailed it in In the Loop, so I’m dying to know what happened! Who made the terrible call not to go with him? Anyways, if it’s an interesting story, maybe you guys could do a scene off of it.

Also, if sucking up helps, I’m more than willing to say that I watched Veep because of I4H. I’d been meaning to watch it already, but it was the testimony after the first time they sponsored you that sealed the deal.

Christ, I nearly busted a guy laughing so hard....brilliant.

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before but are there any plans to do another Ask the UCB episode? I really enjoyed the first one.

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before but are there any plans to do another Ask the UCB episode? I really enjoyed the first one.

Definitely. You got anything to ask?

I'm moving to corvallis, OR in the fall. That will allow me to get cheap plane tickets to L.A. and I have a friend that lives and works there (supposedly in some grilled-cheese shop near Earwolf). Do you think it would be possible for me to take intermittent classes at UCB as long as I scheduled my trips accordingly? Do I really need to live in L.A. or NY is what I'm asking I guess?

Another great episode, Matt & Co.! Keep up the good work.

I do have one question. Maybe this was unique to the most recent VPN epsiode, but I loved listening to the post-scene banter. I noticed that it wasn't included in the podcast version of that episode or other podcast episodes for that matter. Do you think it ruins the flow of the audio-only podcasts? Have you played with the idea of keeping it?

Speaking of the live episodes, when's the next one? Love them. I live on the east coast so I watch it at 9 PM. I make sure to keep my Thursday evenings completely free so I can watch!

Thanks,

Noah

Bruce you should call Lindsay at our theater who can answer all your class questions. 323 908 8702

Also, hopefully our improv book will be out in a couple of months which will be a great tool for someone who can't get to a bigger city to take a regular class.

Next live ep is April 25, 6pm PST

Bundi, yes I do think the flow is generally better by cutting post chatter. If I think it's really funny I sometimes let it stay.

• Like 1

Not sure if my questions would be interesting enough for the podcast, but you talked a lot about the origins, business side and inner workings of the UCB last time - I'd be interested in hearing more about the classes and what the typical experience is like for the people that taking them. What kind of people usually apply? Do people generally go there with the serious intention of becoming an improviser/ writer or for most people is it less serious than that? What do they go on to do afterwards? I think it'd be neat to hear about that kind of thing, as well as things like how you put the class structure together and if they've changed at all since you started.

• Like 1

Oh man! What are the visions for the future? There have been rumors that a second theatre has been purchased in LA. I know the UCB East theatre tried to be more inclusive to the stand-up community in New York; if there’s a second theatre in LA, what will the goals for it be? How was the process of purchasing and renovating it compared to New York?

Are there any plans to increase accessibility to the rest of the country? I know it’s kind of been held that improv is best experienced live, but I feel like I4H disproves that. ASSSSCAT was recorded for a while (and anybody who likes this show should listen to those), would it be possible to start a UCB podcast network with different teams performing audio only improv? This could even include sketch teams and it would give a chance for people outside of LA and New York to get to experience the different players. I hope this isn’t sacrilegious asking this on an Earwolf forum.

What are the current roles of the UCB four in the theatres now? On episode 58, Ian Roberts made it seem like you’d all left them in good hands and just come around once in a while to check on things or to try out a show.

Anything about the history where you might pause and go “That’s too inside baseball, my listeners might not understand that.”

What were those Road Rules people really like?

Maybe you could discuss the viability/challenges of long form improv on TV with your attempts (UCB/ASSSSCAT pilot) in contrast to short form and games based improv shows like Whose Line which has had quite a bit of success and was just recently announced to be making a return.

For another ask the UCB:

I was wondering, would you (and whoever your guest will be) be willing to go into the process of writing for the UCB TV show? You talked about it some in the commentaries and what I remember was a lot of season 1 was adapted from stage sketches, but what was the writer's room like? How did you vet and bring in extra writers? What was the creative process like?

I know you guys were also fond of Kent Alterman and I heard he came back to Comedy Central a couple of years ago, which magically coincides with a lot of new shows getting multiple seasons. Is there a correlation there? Comedy Central seemed to give up on shows really quickly for about 8 years, poor Stella...

Any chance of season 3 coming out?

Anyway, I'd love to hear anything about the show you'd be willing to talk about. Thanks.

I have a question for Matt that's not UCB related but has had me puzzled.. awhile ago you were talking about seeing a big lizard in your backyard at home in Boca. Is there a Boca in LA? With lizards? Do you live in FL but commute to CA? What the hell is going on!? Thanks.

My in-laws live in FL.

I'll try to answer those UCB ?s soon. Thanks!

Sign in to follow this