Jump to content


Episode 100 — Atoms


18 replies to this topic

#1 Earwolf Admin

    Administrator

  • Administrators
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:03 PM

Time to celebrate the 100th episode of Professor Blastoff! Kyle starts off the show by admitting to a disease, David has a suspicious new shirt, and Tig reads live tweets from fans about her radiance. Then science expert, Christina Ochoa, comes to the show and explains atoms, noble gases, and the periodic table. They ask her about being a member of Mensa, her work in physics, and her acting career. She's a triple threat. Then it's time for a legendary round of "Name That Punky"!

#2 NameThatPunky

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:14 AM

I had no idea this was a live podcast. Was it on the VPN? No one advertised it as far as I know. Disappoint.
Top Ten Punkys on the board

#3 Shehu

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:01 AM



#4 Kickpuncher

    Sentient Meat

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

View PostNameThatPunky, on 16 April 2013 - 05:14 AM, said:

I had no idea this was a live podcast. Was it on the VPN? No one advertised it as far as I know. Disappoint.


Yeah, I had no idea until shortly before the show, I've just gotten into the habit of checking which show is on VPN each week. I think the PB Twitter account mentioned it, but I don't recall seeing it anywhere else.

#5 Inthehallwaynow

    the captain

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

it was soo good live everyone was soo pretty haha ive heard/seen this episode like 5 times now and it still makes me laugh soo loud great job everyone!

#6 The Fuhrer of sausage people

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostShehu, on 16 April 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:




Thanks you are the bestest!

#7 The Fuhrer of sausage people

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

AS and also IF! this is'nt the best live episode of any podcast ever!

#8 yayamo

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

Is Christina Ochoa the best looking yet least informed "scientist" on the planet?

#9 Matt Miller

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

I've been watching that "Full episodes" playlist on the Earwolf Youtube channel, waiting for this video to appear. Why was it only posted on the VPN account? Should I be watching the VPN playlist instead?

#10 Shehu

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

View PostMatt Miller, on 16 April 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

I've been watching that "Full episodes" playlist on the Earwolf Youtube channel, waiting for this video to appear. Why was it only posted on the VPN account? Should I be watching the VPN playlist instead?


it's up now. finally.

#11 Photozinski

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:27 AM

Really upset that they didn't get the "Doug" reference, which is Sarah Silverman's suuuper old dog. The one that Kyle almost killed with the elevator. Suprised no one realized that's what they were getting at.

Also, David said Steve Irvin instead of Steve Irwin. I got a chuckle out of that.

Loved the live broadcast, a nice primer to catching the first leg of the live tour in Phoenix... on my birthday none the less!

#12 Kickpuncher

    Sentient Meat

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:47 AM

View Postyayamo, on 16 April 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

Is Christina Ochoa the best looking yet least informed "scientist" on the planet?


Well, for starters, she's a science student, not yet a scientist (or "scientist").

More importantly, scientists generally study and work in one area of expertise, and that gets more narrow the further along they go. Guests get invited to appear on this show because someone (one of the hosts, presumably) thinks that they logically fit with the topic, but that may or may not actually be the case (and I wouldn't expect them to know the nuances of the guests' expertise). Depending on the specific stuff she's studying in physics, "atoms" (a typically nebulously-defined show topic) may or may not actually have a lot of overlap with it.

I hope that's a satisfactory answer for a question that was important enough to warrant creating an account.

#13 yayamo

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:32 AM

View PostKickpuncher, on 17 April 2013 - 04:47 AM, said:


Well, for starters, she's a science student, not yet a scientist (or "scientist").

More importantly, scientists generally study and work in one area of expertise, and that gets more narrow the further along they go. Guests get invited to appear on this show because someone (one of the hosts, presumably) thinks that they logically fit with the topic, but that may or may not actually be the case (and I wouldn't expect them to know the nuances of the guests' expertise). Depending on the specific stuff she's studying in physics, "atoms" (a typically nebulously-defined show topic) may or may not actually have a lot of overlap with it.

I hope that's a satisfactory answer for a question that was important enough to warrant creating an account.


It wasn't. But we all gotta start somewhere before we become a pro of the earwolf boards.

#14 Bruce Reid Robinson II

    Over-educated and under-employed

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • LocationChecking out the beavs in Corvallis

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:41 AM

If she is on ANY scientific publication she is considered a scientist, you don't have to have a PhD to be a "real" scientist.

As a physicist she probably doesn't deal with "atoms" as much as "particles." Both can be very nuanced terms depending on the studies being done.

KickPuncher is right, the further you go into a field the more narrow it becomes. I'm a biochemist, but my research/work/publications have all been in Plants via hormonal responses regulated by nucleic acids, which means I have a large amount of knowledge on that one thing but not (for example) human hormonal responses.

This was a great episode. Ochoa always plays well with everyone.

#15 Kickpuncher

    Sentient Meat

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

View PostBruce Reid Robinson II, on 17 April 2013 - 06:41 AM, said:

If she is on ANY scientific publication she is considered a scientist, you don't have to have a PhD to be a "real" scientist.


Well, yeah, that's true, so I shouldn't have assumed "not yet a scientist". I don't think they ever gave a sense of how far along she is in her studies.

#16 Bruce Reid Robinson II

    Over-educated and under-employed

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • LocationChecking out the beavs in Corvallis

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

View PostKickpuncher, on 17 April 2013 - 06:51 AM, said:


Well, yeah, that's true, so I shouldn't have assumed "not yet a scientist". I don't think they ever gave a sense of how far along she is in her studies.


I can't tell myself, I would venture a guess as somewhere in graduate studies. Maybe she already has a MS.

I didn't mean that as a correction to you either KP. Most people I know don't think of anyone without a PhD as a scientist, but that isn't the case. P.I. or PhD's generally run the labs and teach lectures, and occasionally perform experiments. Most of the "work" that gets published by anyone's lab is done almost exclusively by the graduate students and their undergraduate minions.

#17 jenzahara

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

Sorry but I didn't see where she was uninformed. She knew her physics and held her own, I thought.

#18 ProfessorTony

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

Tig was right.
Tiny bugs pooping on Kyle's face potentially causing rosacea.
http://jmm.sgmjourna...4.full.pdf+html

#19 Shannon

    Moderator

  • Administrators
  • 880 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

Video is up y'all!




and for future reference, videos post 10 days after the live episode.