🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 100 — Atoms

Time to celebrate the 100th episode of Professor Blastoff! Kyle starts off the show by admitting to a disease, David has a suspicious new shirt, and Tig reads live tweets from fans about her radiance. Then science expert, Christina Ochoa, comes to the show and explains atoms, noble gases, and the periodic table. They ask her about being a member of Mensa, her work in physics, and her acting career. She's a triple threat. Then it's time for a legendary round of "Name That Punky"!

I had no idea this was a live podcast. Was it on the VPN? No one advertised it as far as I know. Disappoint.

I had no idea this was a live podcast. Was it on the VPN? No one advertised it as far as I know. Disappoint.

Yeah, I had no idea until shortly before the show, I've just gotten into the habit of checking which show is on VPN each week. I think the PB Twitter account mentioned it, but I don't recall seeing it anywhere else.

it was soo good live everyone was soo pretty haha ive heard/seen this episode like 5 times now and it still makes me laugh soo loud great job everyone!

Is Christina Ochoa the best looking yet least informed "scientist" on the planet?

I've been watching that "Full episodes" playlist on the Earwolf Youtube channel, waiting for this video to appear. Why was it only posted on the VPN account? Should I be watching the VPN playlist instead?

I've been watching that "Full episodes" playlist on the Earwolf Youtube channel, waiting for this video to appear. Why was it only posted on the VPN account? Should I be watching the VPN playlist instead?

it's up now. finally.

Really upset that they didn't get the "Doug" reference, which is Sarah Silverman's suuuper old dog. The one that Kyle almost killed with the elevator. Suprised no one realized that's what they were getting at.

Also, David said Steve Irvin instead of Steve Irwin. I got a chuckle out of that.

Loved the live broadcast, a nice primer to catching the first leg of the live tour in Phoenix... on my birthday none the less!

Is Christina Ochoa the best looking yet least informed "scientist" on the planet?

Well, for starters, she's a science student, not yet a scientist (or "scientist").

More importantly, scientists generally study and work in one area of expertise, and that gets more narrow the further along they go. Guests get invited to appear on this show because someone (one of the hosts, presumably) thinks that they logically fit with the topic, but that may or may not actually be the case (and I wouldn't expect them to know the nuances of the guests' expertise). Depending on the specific stuff she's studying in physics, "atoms" (a typically nebulously-defined show topic) may or may not actually have a lot of overlap with it.

I hope that's a satisfactory answer for a question that was important enough to warrant creating an account.

• Like 1

Well, for starters, she's a science student, not yet a scientist (or "scientist").

More importantly, scientists generally study and work in one area of expertise, and that gets more narrow the further along they go. Guests get invited to appear on this show because someone (one of the hosts, presumably) thinks that they logically fit with the topic, but that may or may not actually be the case (and I wouldn't expect them to know the nuances of the guests' expertise). Depending on the specific stuff she's studying in physics, "atoms" (a typically nebulously-defined show topic) may or may not actually have a lot of overlap with it.

I hope that's a satisfactory answer for a question that was important enough to warrant creating an account.

It wasn't. But we all gotta start somewhere before we become a pro of the earwolf boards.

If she is on ANY scientific publication she is considered a scientist, you don't have to have a PhD to be a "real" scientist.

As a physicist she probably doesn't deal with "atoms" as much as "particles." Both can be very nuanced terms depending on the studies being done.

KickPuncher is right, the further you go into a field the more narrow it becomes. I'm a biochemist, but my research/work/publications have all been in Plants via hormonal responses regulated by nucleic acids, which means I have a large amount of knowledge on that one thing but not (for example) human hormonal responses.

This was a great episode. Ochoa always plays well with everyone.

If she is on ANY scientific publication she is considered a scientist, you don't have to have a PhD to be a "real" scientist.

Well, yeah, that's true, so I shouldn't have assumed "not yet a scientist". I don't think they ever gave a sense of how far along she is in her studies.

• Like 1

Well, yeah, that's true, so I shouldn't have assumed "not yet a scientist". I don't think they ever gave a sense of how far along she is in her studies.

I can't tell myself, I would venture a guess as somewhere in graduate studies. Maybe she already has a MS.

I didn't mean that as a correction to you either KP. Most people I know don't think of anyone without a PhD as a scientist, but that isn't the case. P.I. or PhD's generally run the labs and teach lectures, and occasionally perform experiments. Most of the "work" that gets published by anyone's lab is done almost exclusively by the graduate students and their undergraduate minions.

Sorry but I didn't see where she was uninformed. She knew her physics and held her own, I thought.

Sign in to follow this