🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 60 — Street Fighter

There is a theory that the movie was reverse-constructed from the freeze frame finale...

street.png

...which makes sense, from a director's standpoint of "How do I get all these characters in their video game counterpart costumes before the end credits?"

-----

This is my favorite podcast on the network. The dynamic between Paul, Jason, and June is literally perfect.

JCVD should sue Mo Farrah...

It was funny that Gemberling got stuck essentially defending the movie even though he didn't like it, purely because he knew the characters from the game.

The Mortal Kombat movie was bad, but at least it stuck with the idea of a fighting tournament.

Nah, he said, "It was a wedding, a black wedding. It was two weddings, first a regular wedding with white people, then a black wedding."

The first part was just him listing the order and signifying the second wedding was different from the first.

Then he said it was a regular wedding with a white bride and groom. Not regular because they're white people, but regular because it's a traditional wedding. Followed by a shot of a wedding with a black bride and groom.

Not racist, he just said regular instead of traditional, conventional, etc.

You're trying too hard and nothing you said makes any sense.

Totally disagree. He just used the adjective regular on one, and black on the other to set it apart. Plus, he seemed to realize what it sounded like and made a joke about finding certain weddings wrong. It was an innocent qualifier that sort of sounded odd.

I literally just looked at the clip (in some foreign language because I do not have, nor will I pay for this) and you see 1 second of a white bride and groom touching each other, cut to; a black bride and groom taking their vows. Definitely not enough info to quickly distinguish them to a listening audience without mentioning race.

There's really no other way to describe it other than a regular clip of a wedding. It's not overtly emotional, they're not kissing, there's no bouquet throw, nothing is really happening, especially not enough to brainwash a monster that this is good.

But Jason already had qualified that the two weddings were different when he said they the bride and groom in the two clips were comprised of different races.

But then he doubled down, just in case anyone was confused...

And said on one hand we have a regular wedding with white people (the word "regular" is modifying "wedding") and on the other hand, we have a black wedding (ominous tones sound) that naturally leads everyone to assume that is the furthest thing from regular because the modifier is not there. And by your own admission there was nothing irregular about the wedding clip of the black couple.

You are wrong in saying that there is literally no other way to make the distinction between the two clips (in fact, in the sentence before, he already had). It was a choice.

If anything the movie is more racist because it had to show a black wedding and a white wedding. That implies they are fundamentally separate ideas that deserve their own time.

Which is exactly what Jason did when he said that line!

• Like 1

Someone call Jesse Jackson and tell him some greasy Greek Taliban looking piece of shit needs to make an apology.

The reason I like Scheer is because he'll say something crazy, catch himself, and then be like, "that's wrong, shouldn't have said that because x".

Jason says something problematic and we have people making snarky comments and others trying to rewrite the English language so that adjectives aren't really adjectives.

I think Jason is fine. He actually caught someone else (Jordan Morris, I believe) making a reductionist statement about a black actor and corrected it. But that doesn't mean Jason can't make problematic statements. The people who were in the room at the time caught on it (big ups June) and people who listened to the podcast caught it (big ups Kickpuncher).

The way you end racism is by talking about it -- not trying to hide it under the rug by making snarky comments or denying that it exists by retroactively trying to rewrite the rules of the English language.

• Like 1

What word did I claim was an adjective that cannot be used as one? Regular, white and black are adjectives.

You don't have to say, "This was wedding was regular, and this other wedding was also regular." That's just retarded. A wonky sounding sentence isn't racist, you guys are too sensitive.

Claiming everything is racist isn't the way to stop racism. That just makes regular people overly cautious about every sentence they say. Oops I just said regular people. I guess I'm a bigot now because I implied that non-racists were regular. Sorry.

Also, if nobody actually had a problem with Jason saying something, why the fuck are you guys bringing it up? Saying something is racist when you're not offended is crazy.

I'm out of this convo.

Hyper sensitive nitpicking. None of which is nearly as rough as Jessica Chaffin's calling the black kid from Abduction "blackie".

To be fair my last comment was me making an ironic statement. Snarky would involve me asking how we stop blowhards from soapboxing social issues on a comedy forum thread about 4 comedians dissecting a JCVD video game movie.

• Like 3

One last point from me because I agree this has gone on long enough - I made a point of saying that I have absolutely no reason to think Jason is in any way racist, but it gets back to the "filter" point I made in my first post, and Shariq also touched on in with Paul. Even if there is no (conscious or subconscious) racist thought that goes into a statement, it's good to recognize that certain phrases can still sound racist, and either avoid using them, or retroactively acknowledge it (and if the latter is done in a comical way, great). I don't think that is being overly sensitive.

• Like 2

Claiming everything is racist isn't the way to stop racism. That just makes regular people overly cautious about every sentence they say. Oops I just said regular people. I guess I'm a bigot now because I implied that non-racists were regular. Sorry.

Poor baby. Those sensitive minorities won't just let you speak to and about them any old fucking way. Your dad never had to put with this, he could speak to those darkies any way he wanted with impunity.

• Like 1

Hyper sensitive nitpicking. None of which is nearly as rough as Jessica Chaffin's calling the black kid from Abduction "blackie".

Did you call Chaffin out on that? If not, then what's your point, that you don't consider calling a black child "blackie" or implying black weddings are irregular problematic statements? Do you want a cookie for that?

To be fair my last comment was me making an ironic statement. Snarky would involve me asking how we stop blowhards from soapboxing social issues on a comedy forum thread about 4 comedians dissecting a JCVD video game movie.

Its only ironic unless Jesse Jackson had talked about his need to make one of the members of the Greek Taliban (who would that be? Greeks are mostly Eastern Orthodox Catholics) apologize in the past and you somehow confirmed that Jason was a member of this group (again, what would that look like, the Greek Taliban).

So, I took your comment exactly as you meant it. A snarky reply from someone who wanted to end a discussion on race.

Blatant insensitivity to the plight of underprivileged infants.

Jeez, here come the bleeding hearts. Hey, buddy, I can call them whatever I want because they don't matter.

As hilarious as this episode was, thank the heavens to John Gemberling for being there. Otherwise, this episode was really going to irk video game nerds. But, yeah Jason's reaction to the JCVD speech and June's questions to John was great.

• Like 2

Did you call Chaffin out on that? If not, then what's your point, that you don't consider calling a black child "blackie" or implying black weddings are irregular problematic statements? Do you want a cookie for that?

I think I made a comment at the time about that part being a bit rough, although the gang made a note of that in the episode itself.

I guess my point is that you should probably stfu because nobody cares about your, or anyone elses, "outrage". Its a comedy podcast, not an NPR symposium.

• Like 1

But anyways, I would just like to say THANK YOU PAUL!!! I knew I wasn't the only one who saw that there was a sexual tension to Ken and Ryu's relationship! I don't know why, but when they said 'I only saw the left side' 'Good I saw the right', it just felt dirty.

Also, June was amazing, Jason's high-pitched laugh at June was the highlight of my week, and after the disaster of the Spice World forum, the last thing we need is the 'Black Wedding/Regular Wedding' controversy. Overall Amazing episode.

• Like 1

I think I made a comment at the time about that part being a bit rough, although the gang made a note of that in the episode itself.

I guess my point is that you should probably stfu because nobody cares about your, or anyone elses, "outrage". Its a comedy podcast, not an NPR symposium.

Are you sure you weren't being "hyper sensitive" when you pointed out Chaffin's statement? After all, this is a comedy podcast and not an NPR symposium Did you really think that Chaffin's statement was problematic? Did anyone else think so? If not, then why didn't you apply your own advice and shut the fuck up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-tdYMGQ9FM

1:45 is where you can see Raul Julia's fancy bathrobe and scarf.

Also, the director seems to think that the story for this movie is analogous to Operation: Desert Storm, when Saddam Hussien kidnapped a gaggle of hostages and demanded that ???? deposited 20 billion dollars into his seemingly very public Swiss bank account.

Also, the actors playing Ken and Ryu eeeven look a little gay in this interview. They are way too close to one another to not have immediately follow this interview up with a makeout session.

• Like 1

Are you sure you weren't being "hyper sensitive" when you pointed out Chaffin's statement? After all, this is a comedy podcast and not an NPR symposium Did you really think that Chaffin's statement was problematic? Did anyone else think so? If not, then why didn't you apply your own advice and shut the fuck up?

This is what I said at the time: "Whoa... that Blackie stuff was starting to get kinda rough...."

And that was it. It was just a passing comment, certainly not a social-political indictment of THE SYSTEM. I certainly didn't have a protracted, mightier than thou, self righteous message board screed about it. If it bothered me that much, I'd stop listening to it. I did it when Adam Corolla slammed female comedians. Its no big deal to not listen to shit that bothers you, especially in a comedic environment because - guess what - comedians often feast on people like you, regardless of what they may actually really believe. So once again, I implore you; stfu or gtfo.

This is what I said at the time: "Whoa... that Blackie stuff was starting to get kinda rough...."

And that was it. It was just a passing comment, certainly not a social-political indictment of THE SYSTEM. I certainly didn't have a protracted, mightier than thou, self righteous message board screed about it. If it bothered me that much, I'd stop listening to it. I did it when Adam Corolla slammed female comedians. Its no big deal to not listen to shit that bothers you, especially in a comedic environment because - guess what - comedians often feast on people like you, regardless of what they may actually really believe. So once again, I implore you; stfu or gtfo.

Here's the social-political indictment of THE SYSTEM that started all of this:

Jason, black people are regular people too

So, once again, why didn't you take your own advice when Chaffin made her statement and shut the fuck up?

Sign in to follow this