🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RyanSz

The Poughkeepsie Tapes

This movie's trailer was released in front of a pretty big movie, I can't remember which other than I thought the movie looked too small time for the slot it got before a movie, but it had a small release on the festival circuit and then never came out. When I say never, I mean NEVER. It never went into wide release and has up to this point, not come out on DVD. It has though, been released as a free full movie on youtube.

There's no real story outside of it's a serial killer filming all of his misdeeds and leaving them in his house which is discovered by police. There is no real rhyme or reason to the segments other than to ape the Se7en notebook room where hundreds of notebooks are strewn about in no particular order detailing the life of a killer.

I would love an episode on this just to hear the background information of how this movie came to get a decent amount of publicity and then just disappear.

Here is the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMcgNZqg6tw

Truthfully, I can't see this as an episode. Just reading the synopsis on Wikipedia makes me feel like showering. It strikes me as the kind of movie David Fincher said he didn't want to make with "Zodiac," namely the kind of film a serial killer would masturbate to.

As for how it got some publicity and then fell off the radar, part of the problem may be that it was going to be released by MGM, which has been in dire financial straits for years. For instance, "The Cabin in the Woods" was produced by them and was supposed to come out in January 2010. Then they decided to push it off for a year so they could convert it to 3D; halfway through, they went bankrupt. It finally came out last year, released by Lionsgate.

Yeah I remember the story of Cabin, but with this one it had a fair amount of press when the initial trailer came out. But after watching a bit of it on youtube, I don't understand how as it comes off as a real low rent, straight to DVD flick. I can't for the life of me remember what movie I saw the trailer in front of but even then I knew it had to real reason to be in front of it.

I DO remember a trailer or two, but I'm having a hard time remembering what it was supposed to be, as I'm sure it was originally being heralded as "the next _______________", but I can't remember what the big horror trend was at the time that it would have been capitalizing on. "Saw"? "Hostel"? I don't think the found footage thing was really in full swing yet.

I know it wasn't in front of a movie like those, though it might have been in front of the Halloween remake, though I doubt it because I was shocked to see the trailer for a movie like this in front of a legit blockbuster and not a horror movie.

I recall seeing the trailer years ago and always wondered what the hell happened to it. I recently watched Quarantine with commentary (I know, I'm a geek) and was shocked to hear the filmmakers talking about it even then. Definitely have to check it out on YouTube...

Sign in to follow this