🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Unitas9

In defense of Nick Cage?

So I'm not going to go around like a madman say Nick Cage is a good actor... But oddly enough his pformance in Adaptation is fantastic! Anyway not much point to this post than to convince people to see Adaptation

I think Cage is a good actor, but the thing is there are a lot of good actors who really go off the rails. I think most people are aware that he can be great, but being an oddball person he makes some oddball choices. Sometimes they can serve him well, like in Bad Lieutenant Port of Call - New Orleans, which is a fantastic movie. Yeah, Nick is nuts in it, but it's very appropriate to the kind of film it is. That's a film that does have small flaws (the self indulgent lizard shots in 2 scenes) but is a VERY good movie and surprisingly done in a lower key than it's reputation give it credit for. I'm not saying you need to like it, but if you are dismissing it as mere Nick Cage nuttiness, you are doing it a disservice.

• Like 1

I don't think of Cage as a tool so much as a resource. A good director can harness this resource to the benefit of the script, but a lesser director will have an explosion of inappropriate Cageyness all over the screen.

• Like 1

Yeah Cage is a good actor, and when the projects right he does a great job. He's great in Raising Arizona, Leaving Las Vegas, Moonstruck, The Rock.

Problem is, he has like terrible debt, mostly from tax, probably not helped by the fact he's bought several castles in Europe. That means he'll just do any fucking movie that comes his way, because he needs the cash.

Personally, I'm fine with truly entertaining actors throwing as much crap against the wall as they can in their lifetime. I'd rather watch an actor who can be great sometimes in an over the top performance than a mediocre actor taking themselves too seriously.

Cage is definitely leaving a treasure trove of entertaining performances for future generations, and even though some of them are in just insanely bad movies, they'll probably be more fun to watch in 50 years than George Clooney's ninth Soderbergh film.

• Like 1

Nicolas Cage is legitimately one of my favorite actors, he is never NOT amazing to watch, whether he's giving a great performance or a bonkers one, he is captivating. I always feel like he commits 100% to every role. To me he even some times improves shitty movies by being in them. A film that would normally just be unwatchable with another actor becomes amusing when you have Cage being his kooky self in it.

Nicolas Cage is god, end of story. I love Nicolas Cage movies, no such thing as a bad Nicolas Cage film, just isn't. even his worst films are still entertaining movies to watch.

End of line...

Sign in to follow this