🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 135 — Work Segregation

The incredible Jen Wang of Disgrasian.com talks to Andrew about work segregation, who had the worse high school, and where the stereotype of Asian people doing laundry came from. Hang in there everyone and make sure to leave us a message about anything you think is racist at (323) 389-RACE.

While I agree that this is almost certainly a racist situation, there is a problem with singling out a specific example like this.

It is possible (I would like to stress I don't think this is likely considering the size of the company and that they just now are trying to take steps to "fix" this situation) that the area is predominately white and that when people are applying for positions there they are self selecting certain types of jobs that would put them with others they know. As bad as it is that people often times keep to people like them it does happen and forcing them to go to a different area where they did not apply for nor did they want does not seem right either. There friends or friends of friends say "hey, you should apply for this job, you can work with [friend, relative or whatever]". There are things the company could do of course to make the positions through out the company more visible to everyone and get people to apply from all walks of life but that could be much more difficult. The jobs may be being advertised mostly word of mouth, especially in the economic situation and job market we are in.

But if we take this situation to a more general level and look at how companies do this over all those arguments fall away and there is no way to see it as anything but racist. The citing of specific examples can cause lots of problems where people will point out why it is wrong in this case to be judgmental. The reason this really came to mind is the spoken word poem by Rachel Rostad, (I am assuming you know about it) she talked about a specific and then in a follow up explained herself more fully. My understanding was not that there was anything wrong with how JK portrayed but that is the only way Asian females are portrayed in fiction. Never having other possible character qualities is the problem and trying to hold this particular author accountable caused people to not listen to the overall message of "yes, you can have characters like this but not only this in fiction, people are people with many different types of personalities, don't stereotype!"

Sign in to follow this