🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 101 — Cars

The hatch is alive with questions in today's Professor Blastoff! The hosts start with a discussion about race and whether Kyle's impressions fall on the offensive side. Then they dive into the world of automobiles with car expert George Reddick. He talks about the car that started his automotive love affair, the douchiness of Lamborghinis, and the long term viability of the Google car. Plus Kyle does the greatest bro voice of all time, some flying car talk, and a full explanation of how combustible engines work. Believe it! And then a little What's Nuts and a wonderful round of Boring Texts!

I really hope they do a race episode with Andrew Li

I hope they do a race episode with Kyle as his racist characters the whole time.

• Like 4

Not sure what sort of expertise Li could add, since he pretty much always says everything ever is racist. I mean, I could do that if they want!

His name is Robert Paulson Andrew Ti.

P.S. I am submitting the fact that you called him "Andrew Li" to the Yo, Is This Racist? hotline.

• Like 3

" Hitler knew a good idea when he saw one." Whoah! I'm going to take that out of context and quote you everywhere now.

Skip Kendren seems like a really chill bro, I'd love to hang with him some time.

This was one of those episodes where I don't generally have any interest in the topic, but the episode kept me interested all the way. George was a really good guest.

• Like 1

I was listening to this episode as I walked through the gym. When Kyle came up with the "Wagonini," it actually made my knees buckle and I stumbled a little because I was laughing so hard. It's the first time that comedy nearly made me fall. Great episode, guys!

• Like 1

Please have Andrew Ti on for a Racism ep! DOOOITTTTT!!!!

• Like 1

The accents are racist because, of all the types of voices that the people of those ethnicities/race have, you use The stereotypical voices, which have been historically used to put people of those races down (in media/life).

Also, just because you think it's okay -or if someone of the race being imitated thinks it's okay- doesn't make it not racist. It's still racist. It can also be funny, and a useful tool to switch between characters on a podcast. It's really not up to the person who isn't offended/doing the voice to decide how not offensive it may be, because all you/that person would be saying is, "Well, I'M okay with it- so why should anyone else Not be okay with it?"

That said, if someone is offended, and you're not sure why, just ask- if they've been subjected to any racist treatment ever (and they probably have), they'll have something more to say than, "Ehh, I don't know. It makes me feel funny?"

• Like 1

Kyle I didn't know you were from Weston! Next time you visit mother swing by Trumbull so we can hang.

The accents are racist because, of all the types of voices that the people of those ethnicities/race have, you use The stereotypical voices, which have been historically used to put people of those races down (in media/life).

Also, just because you think it's okay -or if someone of the race being imitated thinks it's okay- doesn't make it not racist. It's still racist. It can also be funny, and a useful tool to switch between characters on a podcast. It's really not up to the person who isn't offended/doing the voice to decide how not offensive it may be, because all you/that person would be saying is, "Well, I'M okay with it- so why should anyone else Not be okay with it?"

That said, if someone is offended, and you're not sure why, just ask- if they've been subjected to any racist treatment ever (and they probably have), they'll have something more to say than, "Ehh, I don't know. It makes me feel funny?"

Well said!

So... playing with stereotypes in comedy. Complex stuff. I started to type a giant, wordy response with lots of hemming and hawing about the idea of using stereotypes, but it was way too long and incoherent. I do find Kyle's gay heaven greeter character to be very funny, even/especially as a gay person (though as the previous poster mentioned, this doesn't necessarily mean it wouldn't offend some). However, it is very useful to understand why stereotypical characters are so often problematic, and why the sorts of characters they discussed in this episode delve into some pretty darn racist territory.

I actually love most of Kyle's characters and they're one of my very favorite parts of this podcast - I love Kyle's work, in general - but the American Indian character is extremely hard to listen to. That character's brought out so often that it's difficult to overlook or write off, and I cringe the entire time it's being used. I think this character is such a bad offender for me, because the accent and the goofy takes on American Indian traditions or spiritual practices play into the broad, long-lived, still-strong culture of awful Indian caricatures that have been used to belittle a group of people who, historically AND currently, have been and still are treated so horrifically by white Americans and the U.S. government. And this portrayal treats Indian culture as being silly, and also as something out of the past, whereas there are plenty of Native folks still here (as hard as white people tried to make that not be the case). There are many, many people out there much better qualified to speak to why this character and this sort of thing are troubling, but there's one stab at it...

I don't think offending some people with creative work can or should be altogether avoided - some amount of offense is always going to be taken with just about anything, and pushing boundaries can, of course, be a funny and important type of comedy - but I guess I think it's useful to know if/how you're being racist (or some other -ist/-phobic), so as to make a more informed decision about if and how to continue with a certain type of material.

Anyhow, I really do enjoy this podcast and I love Kyle's work, but I'm glad the subject of racism/racist characters came up, because I'd been getting increasingly skeeved out by this character, and I like you guys and don't like feeling so weird about parts of the program. It actually would be very interesting to hear more discussion of the subject on the show, especially coming from comedians, who I'm sure think about this sorta thing a lot in the context of their work. I'm on board with people intrigued by the idea you pitched of having a episode on racism.

Yeesh. This post sure got long, after all.

It is not that serious, people.

Yeah, it's not like I think PB's the worst offender AT ALL with this sort of thing - far, far from it, in fact (even on this network, which I also love, in general). But, since the subject came up in conversation on the show, it seemed like a good time to talk about it, especially since the conversation veered towards genuine questioning of if those sorts of characters were racist and why. I totally respect that they brought up the subject. I don't like jumping in and complaining about shows I enjoy, but since the issue was raised it seemed like a good moment to address/discuss it. That character is the one thing that was making me super uncomfortable in listening to some episodes. (Specifically because it's a running gag that comes back so often, and wasn't just a questionable one-off... And also because it seems so entirely grounded in hurtful stereotypes, which is maybe why I love the gay heaven greeter, who seems more playful and absurd and interesting, and not constructed as a joke specifically using stereotypes as punchlines.) I really, really like the show and and am very fond of everyone involved in it. Just, y'know, it's a downer to have something you very much enjoy include content that you find so objectionable and hard to defend. It's not so much of a downer when something you don't like or respect does the same thing (more sad and predictable, oftentimes). But, also, people should make whatever they wanna make and listeners can decide how they feel about it. This is just feedback. The subject is worth talking about, at any rate, even if PB is far from the biggest offender out there.