Sign in to follow this  
robinsbruce

Shredsta-Thread

Ok! This thread looks new and cozy. Let us nerd out here for a while.

Guitar players. Who blows your mind? Lets start with a top 5. I know that's hard for me so we should establish some parameters for narrowing it down. Also include a youtube clip of someone people should know about. That would be cool.

I especially would like to know what Brett thinks. People who play multiple instruments seem to appreciate totally different things about bass vs. 6-string or guitar vs. banjo etc etc.

I'm going to make a rough list...

Edit: my thoughts on rules would be

1. all time (so dead guys are in)

2. think about how long their career was/is

3. how much material they produced/how good any of it was

• Like 1

Hmm.. 5 6 of my many favs in no particular order

David Gilmour, for his feel and texture

John Fahey, for being a weird genius that everyone's stolen from

Edward Van Halen, for his innovation and raw energy (early EVH)

Kurt Cobain, for knowing like maybe 10 chords tops but using them perfectly to save rock

Mick Ronson, for being an unsung hero of classic rock

Paco de Lucia, for being a legitimate virtuoso

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oyhlad64-s

Jimmy Herring - I HATE widespread panic. However, Jimmy has some super fine technique and his solo stuff is pretty progressive. Here's a show I was at...

Wes Montgomery - What is there to say? He is the only reason I took jazz lessons as a teen. He made guitar a jazz instrument and still gets way less credit than he deserves. Hell, Pat Martino made a whole career on just playing like Wes. This video is from '65 and by that time he was mostly playing other peoples stuff. His earlier bebop stuff is even faster and some of the arrangements he put together without reading music or using a pick fucking blow me away.

https://www.youtube....h?v=fXvdU7f-q7I

Also, repects for the Paco de Lucia. Friday Night in San Francisco is gold. Everything I have read would indicate that Paco is actually a nice guy in person where as the same cannot be said for Mclaughlin or Di Meola.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlaCZ106b5w

Flamenco always makes me think Bossa so in that vein I offer Joao Gilberto. I know he is one of the most famous Bossa Nova players, but I still haven't heard anyone better. Here's a song about dancing ducks. It's much more charming if you can't translate it.

WOOT, I just fist-pumped through those videos. You have exquisit taste SpiritBear.

Couple of notes: Dave Gilmour - the only strat I own I modified with the EMG active pick-ups designed by Dave. It sounds amazing. He is one of the most tasteful players EVER. He never plays too many notes.

EVH: My uncle had an '82 Kramer hanging in his shop for years and years. I took it down one day and he gave it to me, so I fixed it up and keep it close. looks like...

pink.jpg

Perfect for any self-serving, ostentatious guitar solo.

HOW HAVE I NEVER HEARD OF ADRIAN LEGG? - thank you for that.

Vinnie Moore lives a mile away from me, or at least he did when I was in high school. A girl in my homeroom was his next door neighbor. In hindsight I should have tried to hang out with her... I was going to post a Steve Howe vid last night but passed out. Nice!

• Like 1

Hedges, man I had forgotten how good he was.

Makes me think of other people who had more talent in their pinky than I do in my entire being.

Ten minutes in is where they give you a taste of what he was able to do.

Edge of insanity? More next level insanity. I really dig the chord selection from that first track. Played differently it could have sounded sweet instead of "BAM in the FAAAAAAAAACE. Widdley widdley widdley WAAAAAAAAHHHH!"

I'm enjoying this thread a lot. I could upload some of me playing through scales and arpeggios if you want some shits and gigs.