🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 34 — If It Ain't Stiff, It Ain't Worth A Fred Armisen

Fred Armisen & Jake have been buds for a long time and are here to talk about all things Punk on today’s edition of THE FOGELNEST FILES! Fred tells us about filming interviews as different characters in his 1998 SXSW Guide to Music, gives us a behind the scenes look at the History of Punk SNL sketch, and explains why the idea of Portlandia was almost organic. Fred & Jake also take a look at The Specials SNL performance, The Damned on The Young Ones, and Dee Dee Ramone’s foray into Hip-Hop as Dee Dee King. Make sure to leave reviews for Crisis of Conformity’s “Fist Fight!” in “The Fogelnest Files” section on iTunes. If you’re listening to this the day it drops, be sure to tune in to a special LIVE video podcast of THE FOGELNEST FILES w/ Howard Kremer & Kulap Vilaysack of Who Charted? on Thursday, May 2nd at 6pm PST/9pm EST over at youtube.com/Earwolf!

Great episode Jake!

How do you plan on trolling the VPN chat for your own show?!?!?!

Also...

BJNCw28CUAASNKq.jpg

THIS IS INSANE!.....I didn't know you were left-handed!

• Like 2

Fred Armisen is the Zelig of indie rock & comedy. I'm not sure exactly what I mean by that, but I'm gonna stick with it.

The Thatcher/Ian Rubbish digital short was awesome for all the period details ... but the "Cadena Norton Wedding" was even cooler ...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/126479

... because it was one of those genius sketches that could only get onto SNL after 12:45 ... because it was so specific to the DC hardcore thing, with a little bit of Suicidal Tendencies added to it ... because it was aired live, which made the chaos of it all the more special ... because it had Dave Grohl, who was part of that DC scene before he got all famous ... and because Sudekis's "enthused dork" response is a perfect grace note to the whole thing. And JUST BECAUSE.

• Like 3

GOD DAMN, this episode.  Awesome guest, awesome clips.  Fred is one of my favorite SNL performers ever, and the weird specificity that he's able to bring to sketches fits so perfectly with this show.  Jake tweeted about that History of Punk sketch the night it aired, and I replied saying that it was their best sketch of the season; after watching it multiple times and listening to the songs, I've amended that opinion to it being an all-time classic.  LOVED the deep dive on that one.

• Like 1

Amazing episode! That clip of the Specials on SNL is the greatest single live performance of any band on television, simply perfect.

LOVED the deep dive on that one.

Had to do that, right? Too good! Very happy I got to talk in such detail with Fred about it.

Fred seems like the most genuine and nice person. Every interview I have ever heard or read makes me think he's just a normal yet hilarious artsy type. Thanks jake.

• Like 1

Had to do that, right? Too good! Very happy I got to talk in such detail with Fred about it.

Fred seems like the most genuine and nice person. Every interview I have ever heard or read makes me think he's just a normal yet hilarious artsy type. Thanks jake.

Yeah, it's amazing how you'd watch that sketch and think "Holy crap, Fred Armisen is AMAZING in this!" and that (knowing his reference points) he has to be the driving force behind it, and then you hear him talk about it and he's basically giving all the credit to everyone else. Such a sweet guy.

While Fred's releasing SNL songs on iTunes, please release a full-length version of Riot in London with Elton John. I still have that snippet on my phone and listen to it with great fondness.

In addition to the complimentary words other people have said, I just think the 'History of Punk' sketch is the perfect comedic response to the death of Margaret Thatcher. She was this incredibly influential and powerful figure, but she also alienated a ton of people and still remains controversial. So, not only does the sketch play on the fact that so many hated her fucking guts (the very source for a lot of great English punk), it also shows someone with deep affection for her. On top of all of that, there's some stellar perfomances and pitch-perfect music. An astounding victory on all fronts, and it's great to hear Fred Armisen talk about it.

Crisis of Conformity is one of the greatest comedy sketches of all time.

Is the German character he references at the beginning the same one that he did in Bob Odenkirk's "Next" pilot? That was my first exposure to Armisen -- he was doing sort of an Ali G/Between 2 Ferns thing, and you couldn't really tell if the celebrity subjects were "in on it." It's probably still online somewhere...

Great ep, as always.

Is the German character he references at the beginning the same one that he did in Bob Odenkirk's "Next"

Holy shit, forgot about "Next." It's totally online:

Holy shit, forgot about "Next." It's totally online:

Whoa - "Eee-it's Been" awhile since I saw that... Bob Odenkirk, Fred Armisen, Jerry Minor, Jay Johnston, Zach G, I think I saw Jill Talley in there, and probably forgot a bunch, too. Not a bad lineup.

Sign in to follow this