🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
AdamMeier

Best of the Best (1989)

A team from the United States is going to compete against Korea in a Tae Kwon Do tournament. The team consists of fighters from all over the country--can they overcome their rivalry and work together to win?

This is a movie that I know is terrible but I would be one of those people giving it a 5 star review on Amazon. It is the pinnacle of Eric Roberts career and the beginning of a trilogy.

They actually made 4 films. I know, I own them all. I'm not sure why I bought them. Seemed like a good idea at the time...okay, no it didn't. I don't know why I own them...

I love this movie and agree that it is the pinnacle of Eric Roberts career. The only thing I can't understand is how is is Chris Penn in the middle weight class?

In the spirit of bad action movies. This one features the lesser known brothers of movie stars:

Eric (Julia) Roberts stars in one of his many bad late eighties/early nineties action vehicles.

Chris (Sean) Penn, may he rest in peace, is barely credible as a world class martial artist.

Philip Rhee, who created this franchise, cast his brother Simon as the "big bad" on the Korean team.

Plus..

James Earl Jones chewing, digesting, and regurgitating scenery!

Not one, but two training montages!

Anyways, this movie isn't as bonkers as a Segal or Van Damme flick, but it's got some choice cuts, including one of the cheesiest, most fantastic endings that I've ever seen.

In the spirit of bad action movies. This one features the lesser known brothers of movie stars:

Eric (Julia) Roberts stars in one of his many bad late eighties/early nineties action vehicles.

Chris (Sean) Penn, may he rest in peace, is barely credible as a world class martial artist.

Philip Rhee, who created this franchise, cast his brother Simon as the "big bad" on the Korean team.

Plus..

James Earl Jones chewing, digesting, and regurgitating scenery!

Not one, but two training montages!

Anyways, this movie isn't as bonkers as a Segal or Van Damme flick, but it's got some choice cuts, including one of the cheesiest, most fantastic endings that I've ever seen.

To be fair, there really wasn't a Julia Roberts yet in 1989, as she'd REALLY hit big the next year, but Penn definitely falls into the lesser known sibling category.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this