🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
zacksross

Mars Attacks!

This movie is completely insane. It has an all-star cast for no reason (Jack Nicholson, Pierce Brosnan, Sarah Jessica Parker, Michael J. Fox, Natalie Portman, Glenn Close, Annette Benning, Danny Devito, Jim Brown, Pam Grier, Jack Black, Christina Applegate, Martin Short).

How did they all agree to be in this lunacy?

Why Jack Nicholson plays two roles?

Why is Tom Jones one of the heroes?

Why is there obvious stock footage?

So many questions.

Characters are introduced solely so they can be killed (but not in fun, funny, new, or interesting ways).

It's just untethered jokes and gags (most of which are funny at-max once) OVER AND OVER again. I just re-watched it thinking I may have been too young to understand the subtlety...NOPE.

It's the only Tim Burton movie Johnny Depp has ever turned down...that's all you need to know about this mess of a movie.

If you were to take Tim Burton's entire catalog of movies and split it in half with half of his movies going in a "good" pile and the other half going into a "bad" pile this one would end up in the "good" pile. He has made so many worse movies in the 2000s which by comparison makes Mars Attacks a "good for Tim Burton" movie.

And even with that said, I enjoy this movie as a comedy. It's not one of Burton's best, but there are some funny parts in it.

• Like 1

I loved this movie as spoof of 50s B movies. I was amazed at how many name actors that they were able to get for this movie only for them to die in horrible ways.

Why Jack Nicholson plays two roles?

From what I've heard from a source less reliable than Wikipedia, the studio told Tim Burton that he couldn't cast Jack Nicholson and kill him off. So he cast him twice, then killed him off twice. No, it doesn't make any sense to me, either.

• Like 1

Some bits don't work, but I have to agree that this movie is actually more on the good side than the bad side. Nicholson is straight-up Shatnering all over the place.

The burning cows was a great scene!

This movie is insane and I love it. Damn near every time I see it on TV I'll stop and watch it. There are plenty of other Tim Burton duds far more deserving for the show *cough* Planet of the Apes *cough*...

I think the biggest thing for me was that this got billed as a comedy but I don't think I laughed even once. I spent the whole movie waiting for the jokes.

This movie is insane and I love it. Damn near every time I see it on TV I'll stop and watch it. There are plenty of other Tim Burton duds far more deserving for the show *cough* Planet of the Apes *cough*...

"Apes" definitely falls into the "How Did THIS Get Made?" category, like "The idea for a new Planet of the Apes movie was kicking around for years, and there had to be so many ideas out there, how was THIS the one that got made?". And to think, Burton's "Superman" could have very well ended up there too if that had been allowed to happen.

• Like 1

Ya this is a good film. It's on cable all the time and when I find it on tv I find myself watching it before i know it.

Sign in to follow this