đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
TonyPSU7

The Golden Child (1986)

I think The Golden Child needs to be seriously considered. It's the first movie staring Eddie Murphy that is a total flop (besides that one with Dudley Moore), and it had huge expectations. It was a flop, and is a terrible movie, yet it's highly watchable. It's borderline racist. Seems perfect for HDTGM!

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure it crosses the border into full on racist. But it would definitely be great for the show.

By flop, do you mean success? It made 80 million off a budget of 25.

• Like 1

Um, this is a good movie by Eddie Murphy. I swear, its like people are just adding movies just for the hell of it. If I see a thread on here about Coming to America then, I know this place is full of shit.

• Like 1

Um, this is a good movie by Eddie Murphy. I swear, its like people are just adding movies just for the hell of it. If I see a thread on here about Coming to America then, I know this place is full of shit.

Yeah, I've kind of given up with the suggestions and just enjoy shooting the shit about movies. Someone got crazy butthurt when I said something similar to what you said, when they suggested Warm Bodies.

Golden Child is a fine product of its time, an era when Eddie Murphy made fun movies.

Was this a fun movie. I haven't seen it in years but I remember it being fairly serious. Especially compared to the other films Eddie Murphy was doing around this time.

It's a serious story with a fun main character. This is honestly one of my favorite movies.

The Golden Child was one of Eddie Murphy's more watchable movies. before the dark time before Nutty Professor and The Adventures of Pluto Nash.

My landlord has a skullet (mullet but you're totally bald on top) and always wears tracksuits, so that one henchman totally reminds me of him

This movie was hugely entertaining and popular, and I totally enjoyed watching it multiple times in the 80's. But anyone who thinks this is a ”good” movie is letting nostalgia impair their judgment. Would love to hear Paul, June and Jason discuss it!

Oh man, this was a favorite growing up, but it did not age well at all. It has moments of humor, but overall very meh. 

My GF and I watched it 2 nights ago after listening to the Drop Dead Fred episode. I thought, “There’s no way this won’t be great!” My memory serves me wrong. Add this to the list of movies I shouldn’t have revisited. 

1. Drop Dead Fred

2. Batman Returns

3. The Golden Child

18 hours ago, ManScene ManVoice said:

Oh man, this was a favorite growing up, but it did not age well at all. It has moments of humor, but overall very meh. 

My GF and I watched it 2 nights ago after listening to the Drop Dead Fred episode. I thought, “There’s no way this won’t be great!” My memory serves me wrong. Add this to the list of movies I shouldn’t have revisited. 

1. Drop Dead Fred

2. Batman Returns

3. The Golden Child

Of those three you listed, I will defend Batman Returns because it’s way better than the original Batman (no terrible Prince score, for starters, and I think Prince was great). The movie is still a mess, but it's a weird hybrid of gothic camp that’s pretty funny and has some great performances (especially Michelle Pfeiffer and Christopher Walken). Other than Christopher Nolan’s trilogy, it is—for better or worse—the best Batman film. It certainly reflects the movie that Burton wanted to make. Whether or not you connect to the movie depends on how much you liked Burton in his prime.

• Like 1

I’m ok with Batman 89, it didn’t age well for me, but without it Nolan’s  Batman wouldn’t exist, and it was awesome when it came out. Same feels for Batman Returns, it was great when it came out, but overall meh today as far as a Batman movie goes. 

Main issues I have have with both is Batman kills, not just kills but murders. In Batman Returns, he doesn’t really give a crap when the Model falls off the roof from Penguins attack. No attempt to save her or anything. If memory serves correctly he makes out with Catwoman one minute later. In general, it’s just a weird portrayal of Bruce Wayne and Batman. Maybe it’s a version of Batman I don’t like, even though I enjoy each and every actor in both movies? Maybe I should rewatch again, will my hate grow? 

But I get the love for Burton during that period. I’m more of a Beetlejuice fan, as that movie holds up so damn good! 

• Like 1

Counterpoint, this movie is awesome. Despite its many flaws it does feature an in his prime Eddie Murphy and a very solid performance from the always delightful Charles Dance. I will say that the scenes where they filmed Eddie Murphy running into the gangs house to rescue the warrior lady were filmed extremely poorly. 

Has this film even been discussed as an option to review? This one is very bizarre story wise plus was a legit theater movie. I loved it as a kid, seriously doubt the story is much of anything so would love to revisit with the gang. 

• Like 1

They should absolutely do this movie, it's fun and terrible at the same time. I also owned this movie on VHS as a kid so i've probably seen this movie over 30 times at least. I can pretty much play the entire movie in my mind scene for scene.