🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 146 — Phoenix's "Entertainment"

Andrew Ti & this week’s guest Joselyn Hughes take a listen to Phoenix’s “Entertainment,” talk about the overly racist “ching chong” synth, and discuss the always racist caricature. Be sure to keep leaving us messages at (323) 389-RACE.

hmm yes phoenix - "entertainment" is very racist

• Like 1

Ho-leey shit, have you guys seen the video? They use footage of the North Korea Mass games in between stock footage of asians being asian.

DAMN IT! Just as I was coming to spit venom on the silliness of this whole discussion I watched that damn video. That being said Phoenix is a band I'd be very reluctant to label as racist. They are French though, and subtle "racism" seems to fly under the radar more often than not .

Just look at those beautiful cultured French men. From a strictly audio perspective I likened it more to a holiday esque sound, unfortunately the video pretty much forces your hand by opening with constact cuts of Asian people. That being said couldn't it be considered an homage?

For the sake of Honesty I've been a big Phoenix fan for about 8 years so I am certainly biased.

you dont have to put "racism" in quotes with talking about france you can straight up type it as Racism

I felt like they were kind of questioning the idea of a series of notes being deemed "racist" with this song. And the video is so non-sensical that it sort of mirrors this arbitrarity.

Thar's what I think, anyways.

DAMN IT! Just as I was coming to spit venom on the silliness of this whole discussion I watched that damn video. That being said Phoenix is a band I'd be very reluctant to label as racist. They are French though, and subtle "racism" seems to fly under the radar more often than not .

Just look at those beautiful cultured French men. From a strictly audio perspective I likened it more to a holiday esque sound, unfortunately the video pretty much forces your hand by opening with constact cuts of Asian people. That being said couldn't it be considered an homage?

For the sake of Honesty I've been a big Phoenix fan for about 8 years so I am certainly biased.

You were going to say that the discussion was silly before watching what was being discussed? I'm glad you rethought that excellent plan.

Sign in to follow this