🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 146 — Get the Tarantino Guy

The Daily Show’s own, Al Madrigal, visits the calming shores on today’s Sklabro Country! Randy and Jason talk about Brett Michaels’ resistance against time, an inebriated man making a run for it in a Zamboni, and Terrell Owens’ continued descent into sadness. Then Al comes on and talks about growing up near notorious asshole Barry Bonds, being a legacy in the family that invented the soup bread bowl, and crushing Denver in sports. They also talk about watching sports with the proper amount of intensity, getting more intense during your kid’s games, and Al’s work on the Daily Show. Plus quick hits including; a dad standing up for his professional boxer son, Kenny Anderson losing his mojo, and Kobe fighting his mom over his stuff from high school. And then Jesse Thorn does a fantastic fantasy report!

Not to sell the rest of Sklarbro Country short, but the fantasy report is the best segment of this show right? Never fails to crack me up.

Im going to cast my vote for "wharves." As in "Freak Wharves."

Gonna try to get to Chicago to see the Bros (come by and say wussup if anyone in Earwolf nation is planning on going). Just moved out here to the Midwest for a job, and having some serious comedy withdrawal (hard to find weed, too, but that's a different forum...) It's enough to make a guy fly private...

Guys...I hate to toot my own horn, but I think this TO thing might have been my doing.

Please check the following forum message from June 2012...

http://forum.earwolf...__fromsearch__1

Nice.

I was surprised that they didn't mention that Chris Hardwick is also an "owner" of one of the PBA league teams. An yes, he's a much better bowler than TO.

• Like 1

Nice.

I was surprised that they didn't mention that Chris Hardwick is also an "owner" of one of the PBA league teams. An yes, he's a much better bowler than TO.

Good God, does Hardwick have his fingers in EVERYTHING? Nice to see him keeping up the family tradition of bowling.

"WOMAN BEATER!"

If you listen/watch closely, he only goes off when someone in Mayweather's entourage (possibly Mayweather himself) starts giggling at him when he starts saying he and his son are blessed. Not sure if he planned to say that, but when he hears the laughing/giggling, he lets loose with both barrels...HYSTERICAL!

The answer to your question, gentlemen, is Wharves

http://dictionary.re...wse/wharves?s=t

Also, I believe the minor league baseball team in Sklarbro Country is named the Sklarbro Wharves. We need some artistically inclined people to design the caps and uniforms.

r8hw5y.jpg

Oh, wait. Did you say "artistically inclined?" Nevermind...

• Like 1

BTW, since you asked about the Toronto Maple Leafs. Their official story is that they were named after the Maple Leaf Regiment which fought in World War I. Since Maple Leaf is a proper noun, you pluralize it by adding s at the end. Like Mr. and Mrs. Child are the Childs, not the Children. But there doesn't seem to be any evidence that there ever was a Maple Leaf Regiment. The truth is that the hockey club most certainly got their name from a minor league baseball team of the same name (like the New York Giants in the NFL copied the name of the baseball team that now resides in San Francisco).

According to baseball reference the team that became the baseball Toronto Maple Leafs started in 1895 in the Eastern League. The Eastern League at the time was a class-A league, which was one level below the majors (the other classifications being class-B, class-C, and class-D). They first took the name the Maple Leafs in 1899, probably because they were the team with a maple leaf on their jersey. Team names weren't very creative then. It was the color of your socks, the color of your jerseys, or something equally mundane. They had a maple leaf on their jersey, so they were the Maple Leafs (c.f. with the Cincinnati Reds, the Boston Red Sox (originally the Red Stockings) and the Chicago White Sox (ditto) today). In 1912, the AA-class was created (once again at the time the highest level below the majors), and the Eastern League changed its name to the International League and moved up to AA.

In 1927, when the Toronto St. Patricks hockey club were sold to Conn Smythe and looking for a new name, the baseball Maple Leafs were riding high, having won the lL pennant the year before. The baseball team was owned by Lawrence "Lol" Solman, Solman was also managing director of the Mutual Street Arena, the premier hockey rink in Toronto at that time. What better way for Smythe to ingratiate himself with arena management (and ride the coattails of another successful sports team) than to change his hockey team to the Maple Leafs? The hockey club won 11 Stanley Cup championships over the next 40 years, and nowadays probably don't want to admit that at one time they were less popular than a minor league baseball team. Hence the "Maple Leaf Regiment" story.

The International League moved up to AAA when that was created in 1946. Those Maple Leafs saw a decline in attendance in the mid 50s, and while they won 3 IL pennants in the 60s, the writing was on the wall when they were sold to a businessman in 1967 who moved the team to Louisville and made them the Colonels. The team only lasted there a couple of years before being moved to Pawtucket and becoming the Pawtucket Red Sox. Toronto got a major league team only a few years later when the Blue Jays were founded in 1977.

Good God, does Hardwick have his fingers in EVERYTHING? Nice to see him keeping up the family tradition of bowling.

In case you didn't already know, he'll be hosting ANOTHER TV show and carrying on the bowling legacy more visibly in the near future as AMC is bringing his All-Star Celebrity Bowling YouTube show to TV.

Also, props for your wording there (intentional or not) in reference to a sport where you put your fingers in the ball.

• Like 1

In case you didn't already know, he'll be hosting ANOTHER TV show and carrying on the bowling legacy more visibly in the near future as AMC is bringing his All-Star Celebrity Bowling YouTube show to TV.

Also, props for your wording there (intentional or not) in reference to a sport where you put your fingers in the ball.

You have no idea how much I've prayed that someone would get that. I find myself staring at forum posts, at times, wondering why no one has liked or replied to them. Remember the end of THE SOCIAL NETWORK? It's like that. Except I have a gun in my mouth.

• Like 1

Is that a reference to how Bugs Bunny would put his finger in Elmer Fudd's gun and cause it to backfire?

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this