Episode 62 — Joyful Noise

66 replies to this topic

#1 Earwolf Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

Queen Latifah & Dolly Parton were in a gospel filled musical with so many plots that it will make your head spin! Fred Stoller joins us to talk about the strange heart attacks that kill of two characters in the movie, the bum wiping vs turd in tissue issue that Queen’s son with Asperger’s syndrome faces with, and who is shooting the footage of Queen & her husband hugging at a park. We also cover the diner food fight scene, Dolly’s partial duet with her dead husband/ghost self, and the big medley at the end with Catholic-fied versions of pop songs. Make sure to keep voting and suggesting which movies for us to review at http://fyi.earwolf.com!

#2 Bonce DeLeon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:18 PM

It's on HBO & is far more fucked up than I could ever imagine. Death sex, speaking in tongues, asian inspired splits, forgery, Dolly's face, I could go on for days.

#3 JustinL

Correction/Omission Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:19 AM

Dolly and Queen got nothin' on Whoopi and Lauryn.

#4 JustinL

Correction/Omission Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:39 AM

There was a lot to unpack with this one. You could do a scene by scene analysis of everything wrong with it. The point where I knew this movie had gone completely insane was when the pastor's response to the woman saying no one would have sex with her again was "I heard dat!"

Also, Randy sneaks into the house but doesn't bother to close the window or pick up the plant he knocked over? Dick.

And fuck you guitar guy who's already in the band. We got us a good guitar player!

#5 Inthehallwaynow

the captain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:29 AM

what the fuck hahah this movie..great ep as always guys, thanks!

#6 Luke HENDERSON!

AKA Luke Henderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:48 AM

View PostBonce DeLeon, on 13 May 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

.... Dolly's face, I could go on for days.

HAhahahaha!

#7 Bruce Reid Robinson II

No good, two-bit, hippy womanizer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • LocationAny farm in Oregon

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:49 AM

Was anyone else really bummed out by this movie? Shit was depressing.

Good episode though.
Me IRL

"My name is Bruce. I fuck with viruses. I pull potatahs from the earth with my bare man hands. My beanie and five o clock shadow make me look like a longshoreman. And I can chill harder than a motherfucker."

#8 justinmh05

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:22 AM

View PostBruce Reid Robinson II, on 14 May 2013 - 05:49 AM, said:

Was anyone else really bummed out by this movie? Shit was depressing.

Good episode though.

I just wonder who they were marketing the movie to? Did they really think a comic subplot of a woman fucking a man to death out of wedlock was going to bring in the Christian audience?

#9 Bruce Reid Robinson II

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:36 AM

Yeah, they touched on it in the episode but what the hell?

There were so many extra plot points that never paid off. The scene transitions made no sense. The characters relationships are never really explained. Do they ever even actually say that Dolly was married to the guy who died in the CREDIT sequence at the beginning? I wasn't sure for like thirty minutes into this turd. Multiple people die in this movie. Dolly cracks a joke at her husbands funeral, and Mr. Suh's (Soo?) lover is worried because she doesn't want people to think that shes the "hit it and die" lady. BUT then they get super heave and preachy when Queen's kid is upset that "God made him this way"

I could not understand how I was supposed to feel about any of this movie.

I agree 100% Junstinmho5. I have no idea who this movie is for, I found it "deeply upsetting." Also, Dolly looks like she is made of garbage.
Me IRL

"My name is Bruce. I fuck with viruses. I pull potatahs from the earth with my bare man hands. My beanie and five o clock shadow make me look like a longshoreman. And I can chill harder than a motherfucker."

#10 Shariq Torres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

Those song at the end reminded of that episode in South Park where Cartman wrote "Christian" songs by randomly placing the word "god" in all of these love songs.

Its hard to make a Christian song out of Usher's "Yeah!" The original song is about going into the club, getting fucked up, and feeling up on women. Explain how God is going to make you "blow", son? Are you talking about "blow" in the carnal sense or the biblical sense.

#11 justinmh05

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

I was confused too, especially because the very next scene of Dolly in the pastor's office makes no sense. She's totally over her husband dying and is much, much more upset by Latifah being named choir director.

#12 Shariq Torres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:12 AM

View Postjustinmh05, on 14 May 2013 - 06:22 AM, said:

I just wonder who they were marketing the movie to? Did they really think a comic subplot of a woman fucking a man to death out of wedlock was going to bring in the Christian audience?

This movie was like a shittier version of "Sister Act." And this Queen Latifah and Dolly Parton feeling themselves too much. Queen Latifah and Dolly Parton are much better in an ensemble cast surrounded by better actors that are going to carry the movie.

#13 justinmh05

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:25 AM

I actually didn't think Queen Latifah was too bad in this. It's more that her character was so badly written IMO.

Dolly? Well, that's another story.

#14 Bruce Reid Robinson II

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

I was pretty surprised to hear everyone on the podcast recommend watching this. Normally I agree with them but I really think this movie is near un-watchable. Its not bad in a good way. Just confusing, trite, and sad.

I think Queen Latifah is a actually a decent actress. She seems to take terrible roles though. No one else in this "film" was good at acting. The extras in the choir were by far my favorite people.
Me IRL

#15 Shannon

------- Moderator ------- Mother of Wolves

• Administrators
  • 980 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

View Postjustinmh05, on 14 May 2013 - 06:22 AM, said:

All I could think the whole time was that this was a movie my pentecostal grandmother would rent and then lose her mind at all the sex and cursing.

I was having a great time with the movie until the kid from the kid choir started speaking in tongues and I had PTSD flashbacks and had to walk around my house for awhile, then the medley didn't help at all. Jesus parodies are also a trigger for me. Especially when combined with Chris Brown.

#16 justinmh05

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

View PostShannon, on 14 May 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

All I could think the whole time was that this was a movie my pentecostal grandmother would rent and then lose her mind at all the sex and cursing.

I was having a great time with the movie until the kid from the kid choir started speaking in tongues and I had PTSD flashbacks and had to walk around my house for awhile, then the medley didn't help at all. Jesus parodies are also a trigger for me. Especially when combined with Chris Brown.

"It's like I waited my whole life, for this one night, it's just me, you and the Good Lord!"

Holy shit, is that the most lazy lyric change ever, or what?

#17 seanotron

The Gifmaster General

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

I love that Fred accidentally bought the soundtrack instead of the movie.

#18 Shariq Torres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

View PostShannon, on 14 May 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

I was having a great time with the movie until the kid from the kid choir started speaking in tongues and I had PTSD flashbacks and had to walk around my house for awhile, then the medley didn't help at all. Jesus parodies are also a trigger for me.

Oh, man, speaking in tongues...that's a flashback to my childhood Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings.

#19 imhatch

im on the forum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:53 AM

randy???...went to the...query

#20 Chase Roper

what am I even supposed to put here?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Locationtwitter.com/chaseroper

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

The sunglasses for the kid with Aspergers makes sense but the movie didn't do ANYTHING to explain why. It might have been on accident like you guys suggested. My son has Apsergers and a key component for a lot of people on this end of the autism spectrum live with different sensory sensitivities Certain sounds, over stimulation, fabrics or lighting (especially flourescent) bothers them. We have a special plan in place with my son's school that includes allowing him to wear sunglasses in the building and during if he feels like he needs to.

I don't think there was anything in the movie that did a good job of explaining this kid's Aspergers or even that they got it right, but I just thought I'd share and educate a little!
I am a work at home dad who, according to his wife, half-asses everything I do at home. I'm also a real estate agent in WA. - agentroper.com