🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 62 — Joyful Noise

Queen Latifah & Dolly Parton were in a gospel filled musical with so many plots that it will make your head spin! Fred Stoller joins us to talk about the strange heart attacks that kill of two characters in the movie, the bum wiping vs turd in tissue issue that Queen’s son with Asperger’s syndrome faces with, and who is shooting the footage of Queen & her husband hugging at a park. We also cover the diner food fight scene, Dolly’s partial duet with her dead husband/ghost self, and the big medley at the end with Catholic-fied versions of pop songs. Make sure to keep voting and suggesting which movies for us to review at http://fyi.earwolf.com!!

It's on HBO & is far more fucked up than I could ever imagine. Death sex, speaking in tongues, asian inspired splits, forgery, Dolly's face, I could go on for days.

• Like 3

There was a lot to unpack with this one. You could do a scene by scene analysis of everything wrong with it. The point where I knew this movie had gone completely insane was when the pastor's response to the woman saying no one would have sex with her again was "I heard dat!"

Also, Randy sneaks into the house but doesn't bother to close the window or pick up the plant he knocked over? Dick.

And fuck you guitar guy who's already in the band. We got us a good guitar player!

Was anyone else really bummed out by this movie? Shit was depressing.

Good episode though.

• Like 1

Was anyone else really bummed out by this movie? Shit was depressing.

Good episode though.

I just wonder who they were marketing the movie to? Did they really think a comic subplot of a woman fucking a man to death out of wedlock was going to bring in the Christian audience?

• Like 4

Yeah, they touched on it in the episode but what the hell?

There were so many extra plot points that never paid off. The scene transitions made no sense. The characters relationships are never really explained. Do they ever even actually say that Dolly was married to the guy who died in the CREDIT sequence at the beginning? I wasn't sure for like thirty minutes into this turd. Multiple people die in this movie. Dolly cracks a joke at her husbands funeral, and Mr. Suh's (Soo?) lover is worried because she doesn't want people to think that shes the "hit it and die" lady. BUT then they get super heave and preachy when Queen's kid is upset that "God made him this way"

I could not understand how I was supposed to feel about any of this movie.

I agree 100% Junstinmho5. I have no idea who this movie is for, I found it "deeply upsetting." Also, Dolly looks like she is made of garbage.

Those song at the end reminded of that episode in South Park where Cartman wrote "Christian" songs by randomly placing the word "god" in all of these love songs.

Its hard to make a Christian song out of Usher's "Yeah!" The original song is about going into the club, getting fucked up, and feeling up on women. Explain how God is going to make you "blow", son? Are you talking about "blow" in the carnal sense or the biblical sense.

• Like 1

I was confused too, especially because the very next scene of Dolly in the pastor's office makes no sense. She's totally over her husband dying and is much, much more upset by Latifah being named choir director.

I just wonder who they were marketing the movie to? Did they really think a comic subplot of a woman fucking a man to death out of wedlock was going to bring in the Christian audience?

This movie was like a shittier version of "Sister Act." And this Queen Latifah and Dolly Parton feeling themselves too much. Queen Latifah and Dolly Parton are much better in an ensemble cast surrounded by better actors that are going to carry the movie.

• Like 1

I actually didn't think Queen Latifah was too bad in this. It's more that her character was so badly written IMO.

Dolly? Well, that's another story.

I was pretty surprised to hear everyone on the podcast recommend watching this. Normally I agree with them but I really think this movie is near un-watchable. Its not bad in a good way. Just confusing, trite, and sad.

I think Queen Latifah is a actually a decent actress. She seems to take terrible roles though. No one else in this "film" was good at acting. The extras in the choir were by far my favorite people.

All I could think the whole time was that this was a movie my pentecostal grandmother would rent and then lose her mind at all the sex and cursing.

I was having a great time with the movie until the kid from the kid choir started speaking in tongues and I had PTSD flashbacks and had to walk around my house for awhile, then the medley didn't help at all. Jesus parodies are also a trigger for me. Especially when combined with Chris Brown.

• Like 4

All I could think the whole time was that this was a movie my pentecostal grandmother would rent and then lose her mind at all the sex and cursing.

I was having a great time with the movie until the kid from the kid choir started speaking in tongues and I had PTSD flashbacks and had to walk around my house for awhile, then the medley didn't help at all. Jesus parodies are also a trigger for me. Especially when combined with Chris Brown.

"It's like I waited my whole life, for this one night, it's just me, you and the Good Lord!"

Holy shit, is that the most lazy lyric change ever, or what?

I love that Fred accidentally bought the soundtrack instead of the movie.

• Like 3

I was having a great time with the movie until the kid from the kid choir started speaking in tongues and I had PTSD flashbacks and had to walk around my house for awhile, then the medley didn't help at all. Jesus parodies are also a trigger for me.

Oh, man, speaking in tongues...that's a flashback to my childhood Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings.

The sunglasses for the kid with Aspergers makes sense but the movie didn't do ANYTHING to explain why. It might have been on accident like you guys suggested. My son has Apsergers and a key component for a lot of people on this end of the autism spectrum live with different sensory sensitivities Certain sounds, over stimulation, fabrics or lighting (especially flourescent) bothers them. We have a special plan in place with my son's school that includes allowing him to wear sunglasses in the building and during if he feels like he needs to.

I don't think there was anything in the movie that did a good job of explaining this kid's Aspergers or even that they got it right, but I just thought I'd share and educate a little!

• Like 6

I am loving this! Fred is an incredibly good guest. It's great when the guest gets it and really participates.

• Like 1

This episode was really really great, and it literally could have been 2 hours longer. Fred was an excellent guest.

And since June confessed, I will also say I also cried a little at the ghost dance scene. I think it's just because I'm borderline obsessed with Dolly and I think my brain was viewing the scene like a separate music video and I was touched.

I also had a real good laugh at the Kirk Franklin performance (or as Jason called him, the James Brown guy) he's basically the most famous gospel guy out there and I used to do routines to his music at Christian Cheerleading Camp. (this movie clearly brought up a lot of stuff for me guys)

And I want to know why they cast Jesse L Martin, excellent broadway performer, in the one non-singing role in the movie.

I have so many more things to talk about, but my lunch break is over.

Hey, its that guy from Everybody Loves Raymond! I like Fred Stoller, great guest :)

And since June confessed, I will also say I also cried a little at the ghost dance scene. I think it's just because I'm borderline obsessed with Dolly and I think my brain was viewing the scene like a separate music video and I was touched.

I cried as well. As trite and undeserved as it was for this movie in particular, it was a pretty song and I was able to disconnect from the story and just view it as a woman who has lost her life's companion and misses him dearly, taking comfort in the happy memories she has of him.

This movie is truly baffling, and I love that HDTGM took it on. But guys, the choir is clearly not Catholic. I think at least twice people called them Catholic (and someone--maybe June?--called a church service a "mass"). In movies, there are only two kinds of Christian church services: super-traditional Catholic (with priests in black cassocks and dark confessional booths) and black, probably Baptist, churches with gospel choirs. I'm pretty sure this movie was going for the latter, with a bit more racial diversity thrown in.