🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 153 — The Native American Costume

Find out what to wear and what not to wear as Andrew Ti & Jake Fogelnest discuss appropriate & inappropriate Halloween costumes. As always, leave us a message about anything you think is racist at (323) 389-RACE.

Is my joke racist:

Japanese people think the new iPhone voice controlled assistant is "Silly"

I appreciate it is a bad joke as you have to know the name of the virtual iphone assistant, and rhotics. But is it racist?

A lot of your podcasts come down to stereotypes being the core of a lot of issues, so I am pretty sure it would qualify with ease.

Is my joke racist:

Japanese people think the new iPhone voice controlled assistant is "Silly"

I appreciate it is a bad joke as you have to know the name of the virtual iphone assistant, and rhotics. But is it racist?

A lot of your podcasts come down to stereotypes being the core of a lot of issues, so I am pretty sure it would qualify with ease.

You're perpetuating the hateful fact that Japanese phonology doesn't make precise distinctions between "l" and "r" sounds.

Though I agree with your general response, members of Five Civilized Tribes (particularly Cherokee Nation) did own slaves and were often hired to catch runaway slaves. It's a complicated history (the Seminoles saw slavery very differently than others and often intermarried) and it's certainly different than the systematic oppression that white people have done to...everyone, but just FYI, I guess.

• Like 1

You're perpetuating the hateful fact that Japanese phonology doesn't make precise distinctions between "l" and "r" sounds.

That's right, Hyde! Remember, the real racists are the Japanese people who don't like that joke. Why do they hate artistic expression?

Don't worry, ST. I always consult Asian Americans for the Elimination of Frivolous Puns before I venture into linguistics humor.

Don't worry, ST. I always consult Asian Americans for the Elimination of Frivolous Puns before I venture into linguistics humor.

The only consultation you need is from your daily talks with Boston racists. Their wisdom is legendary.

Is there a reason why it can't be both?

But what if someone feels bad somewhere?

Hyde, that's not your problem; you're white, for God's sake. As long as you didn't piss off someone that matters (i.e., another white person), then you're ok. Oh, by "white" I don't mean those pussy ass, liberal latte-drinking assholes; I mean real white people.

Is there a reason why it can't be both?

Of course it can be, and is both. It is the only racist joke I have ever thought of, and I appreciate that it might technically be a joke, but I get that it is neither funny or non-insulting. I also am fully aware it is utterly off-topic.

Sign in to follow this