🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 37 — Bread and Butter

Live from UCB-LA it's Jake with Kumail Nanjiani, Rob Corddry, and Noah Garfinkel on today's The Fogelnest Files. They come on and get aquatinted with waterbed technology, realize the magic music of a man named Taco, and get too much Bruce Vilanch. It's perfect comedy alchemy. Enjoy! Jake will be at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre again this Thursday with special guests- Julie Klausner and Jon Hendren for a special live episode of THE FOGELNEST FILES. Get tickets here.

I didn't realize Bill Clinton was the in the Newbeats!

and

.38 Special was good, but they were no Molly Hatchet...

• Like 1

Am I the only person who is terrified of Kumail?

92imTwL.jpg

For the kids (or history buffs in general) more must-see 80s TV: 'That's Incredible!' was appointment television that stopped the planet with astonishing feats, skydivers, stunts and.. wait for it.. wait for it.. stovetop cats! 1:07 on YT clip

I guess this was our 'youtube' back then. It was a monster TV show.

Larry Henley of the Newbeats co-wrote Wind Beneath My Wings, which was eventually recorded by Bette Midler, friend of Bruce Vilanch.

Edit: Shit, I should have listened ahead 30 seconds.

Larry Henley of the Newbeats co-wrote Wind Beneath My Wings, which was eventually recorded by Bette Midler, friend of Bruce Vilanch.

Did you just invent, SIX DEGREES OF BRUCE VILANCH????

• Like 1

I didn't realize Bill Clinton was the in the Newbeats!

Damn, I was just doing some image-searching in order to prove that very same point ... nice to know someone agrees. Might as well share some evidence:

i%27m+blue.jpgBill+Clinton+1993+Presidential+portrait.jpg

Wait, the guy on the left of the "I'm Blue" single cover looks a little like ... Jake???

From the soundtrack to "9 1/2" the Kim Basinger & Mickey Rourke softcore trash classic from 1986. Devo possibly chose this song as a tribute to the infamous refrigerator scene?

• Like 1

^ Holy crap.

Fantastic episode. "Bread and Butter" and Life Alert were both classics. The Wikipedia entry (everything starting from the fact that it exists) was mind-boggling.

This episode was hilarious and great! When I heard the Life Alert ad it brought back memories of imitating those voices with my friends.

Also, my brother used to work as a paramedic and then as an ER doctor, and he told me that people would choose their words carefully to avoid the exact phrase "I've fallen and I can't get up!" Like, "I'm on the floor and I'm unable to....stand."

• Like 2

I completely forgot how much I used to love that .38 Special record. At the time, I was really into Flock of Seaguls, Devo, German Bowie cover artist Peter Schilling and .38 Special, which I think the DSM5 specifically notes as a strong indication of Multiple Personality Disorder.

Am I the only person who is terrified of Kumail?

i agree with you his on stage persona is a lil more intense than it used to be but i fully enjoy it haha

I just kind of want to emphasize my Rage/White Liberal Guilt at viewing that crazy Afro Sheen commercial. I've read Frederick Douglass' autobiography, Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave, and it's basically this narrative of how Douglass freed himself by punching injustice in the fucking face. He rebels, teaches himself how to read, has these epic fistfights with slave overseers, swims his way to freedom, and does these action hero antics, all narrated in this incredibly erudite voice that lends this sense of insanity the slave system, showing how ridiculous it was. Like, if somebody so simultaneously EPIC enough to physically dominate his "owners" with his fists and narrate that account with such poetry, why would any sane person keep that person in bondage?* Sure, some of it may be exaggerated, but it's still an incredible story. For THAT guy, with that tough-as-nails visage, to be usurped in order to sell hair products (especially considering his equally iconic hairstyle), seems really fucking gross.

*I realize that seems kind of.... obvious now, but the book was written in 1845, a time when millions of Americans thought slavery was pretty ok.

The Netflix category “Movies Starring Actors Who Look Like Zach Galifianakis” was an April Fools Joke. They had quite a few weird, hyper-specific categories that day.

Bread and Butter is probably my favorite clip this podcast has alerted me to. I've watched it about 30 times in the past three days.

Sign in to follow this