Episode 39 — The Documentary Files

8 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

Earwolf Buddy

• Administrators
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:22 PM

Documentary filmmaker Jeffrey Schwarz stops by to discuss his impressive career on today’s episode of The Fogelnest Files! Jeffrey is the director of several documentary features including, “Spine Tingler: The William Castle Story,” the HBO documentary, “Vito” about legendary gay activist, Vito Russo and the upcoming “I Am Divine,” a definitive documentary about the John Waters icon. Plus, a bonus phone conversation with Jeremy Newberger, co-director of the documentary “Évocateur: The Morton Downey Jr. Story,” which is out June 7th in theaters and on VOD. Watch all the clips festured on today’s show at YouTube.com/thefogelnestfiles

#2 klem_johansen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

Great episode. My queue of amazing new docs to see is once again full. Back when Netflix slowed down its intake of new movies, I ended up using it as a documentary engine, and that's basically all I watch now. For The Bible Tells Me So is a good one with similar themes to today's show.

#3 Bruce Reid Robinson II

Over-educated and under-employed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • LocationChecking out the beavs in Corvallis

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

I love, love, LOVE this stuff. I used to watch black and white movies every weekend with my dad. Those old horror flicks and "who-dun-its" are amazing. I still watch TCM saturday mornings. Awesome episode Jake.

#4 Patrick LeJeune

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

Jeremy Newberger called into this weeks Best Show on WFMU to talk about Evocateur. They talk for about an hour and it is fascinating. I highly recommend listening to it.

#5 daveB from Oakland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostPatrick LeJeune, on 06 June 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

Jeremy Newberger called into this weeks Best Show on WFMU to talk about Evocateur. They talk for about an hour and it is fascinating. I highly recommend listening to it.

It was actually Seth Kramer, one of the other co-directors of the movie. But yes, highly reccomended by me as well. Scharpling blew Seth Kramer's mind by revealing the depths of his Morton Downey fandom -- Tom revealed that he has a "mint condition" Morton Downey board game (who knew there was such a thing?), amongst other paraphernalia. I believe Tom also said he still has a ticket for one of Downey's show tapings ... a ticket he never used because he "chickened out".

I'm gonna have to see that movie. The experience will probably scar me, but I'm gonna have to see it.

(Side note: I saw "Room 237" because of the Fogelnest Files, and I'm very glad that I did. It was a cool movie to see in a theater with a good sound system. Somehow, a movie with (unseen) speakers theorizing about The Shining was totally immersive and captivating).
Chop off the "En", Chop off the "In"

Stop in!!

Glish Muff!!

#6 Jake Fogelnest

Presented in 70mm

• Administrators
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

Yup, Tom's interview with Seth Kramer was awesome. Morton Downey Jr's influence Joe Pyne and Bob Grant are totally where Tom gets the "Get off my phone" stuff from!

#7 Kickpuncher

Sentient Meat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

I would put this in the clip submission thread, but I can't imagine it fitting in any other episode, so I'll put it here. Jake, I assume you've seen this, yes?

#8 Patrick LeJeune

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

View PostdaveB from Oakland, on 06 June 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

It was actually Seth Kramer, one of the other co-directors of the movie. But yes, highly reccomended by me as well. Scharpling blew Seth Kramer's mind by revealing the depths of his Morton Downey fandom -- Tom revealed that he has a "mint condition" Morton Downey board game (who knew there was such a thing?), amongst other paraphernalia. I believe Tom also said he still has a ticket for one of Downey's show tapings ... a ticket he never used because he "chickened out".

I'm gonna have to see that movie. The experience will probably scar me, but I'm gonna have to see it.

(Side note: I saw "Room 237" because of the Fogelnest Files, and I'm very glad that I did. It was a cool movie to see in a theater with a good sound system. Somehow, a movie with (unseen) speakers theorizing about The Shining was totally immersive and captivating).

I realized my mistake in saying it was Newberger when it was actually Kramer after I posted that, oops. Regardless great talk.

#9 Kickpuncher

Sentient Meat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

Evocateur is now available on Netflix instant.