🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 169 — Too Young To Have Kids

Writer, actor, and internet person Marissa A. Ross (Tangents & The Times) joins Andrew Ti to offer some advice to a teacher who’s having trouble explaining to his class why he’s too young to have kids. Be sure to call us at (323) 389-RACE to ask if anything is racist.

This dude is acting like 27-years-old is the same as 17-years-old. Usually, people are settling down in their late 20s and 30s. He's actually not too young to have kids. He's the about the right fucking age.

This dude is acting like 27-years-old is the same as 17-years-old. Usually, people are settling down in their late 20s and 30s. He's actually not too young to have kids. He's the about the right fucking age.

Clearly you just think that way because you're black Shariq! I want to directly disagree with you but I am afraid of the white guilt I will feel in pointing out the inferiority of your way of thinking! So instead I will now go into a long, condescending, passive-aggressive rant about how there's something wrong with black culture, too many people having kids too young and out of wedlock, too many fathers who run out on their kids. I will also make sure to sandwich in a mini-rant about "rap" music somewhere. If you try to argue with me be warned! I am already prepared to get defensive and jump on you for using the "race card"!

(OK seriously, you're right. Even among hoighty-toighty upper class white people, 27 years isn't that young, and for most of the world that's kind of old. If you personally want to wait until your 30s that's fine, but thinking "having kids at 27? OMG that's too young! Who would have kids at that age?" is kinda weird in any race or socioeconomic group.)

• Like 1

I disagree, in my "group" or whatever it's kind of different to get married before you're 30, let alone have kids... Not that it's inherently bad but my friends who are married/engaged have gotten "you're too young" from their families and I know my family would think that too. It's not like anyone is thinking 27 is like a child as much as that your 20s are for personal and professional development and a marriage and especially kids at that age is more likely interrupt career progression and also to end in divorce (I'm not saying that's true, just the perception)- and most of all that in your 20s you do not have the same financial security/savings for raising the child as you will in your 30s. I'm 23 and when people ask me if I'm married/have kids I kind of have the same reaction as the teacher does but most of the people I work with are from more working class backgrounds and it's just different. But I agree that it is not a race thing I don't know why that guy would think that it is.

27 is only too young for kids if you're the yuppiest motherfucker in the galaxy.

Yo, is it racist if I lose my shit if someone has the temerity to raise a family on fewer than six figures?

Sign in to follow this