🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
paultab

Drive (2011)

I was amazed at what people were expecting this movie to be reading negative comments about it. They instantly assumed that the two must be similar if there are car chases involved.

• Like 1

I think the Drive that was made in 1998 was a crappy action film, but the one made in 2011 starring Ryan Gosling,was absolutely amazing.

I was very disappointed with Drive. The dialog felt really awkward ("Hey kid want a toothpick?" for example) and people seemed to behave in ways that I felt made no sense what-so-ever (he's a psychopath, but he's the good guy kind of psychopath). I really wanted to like Drive, prior to it I really really liked the Pusher trilogy that Refn had done, and since I have enjoyed Bronson, but it just didn't sit well with me.

That said I would not suggest this movie for the podcast, it just doesn't have the right pacing, it's too well received and there aren't enough weird moments to make for an interesting episode.

Really great looking movie with some nice moments, but I felt like there wasn't a whole lot of substance once you got past the gloss. I thought it was funny how over-the-top "cool" Ryan Gosling's character was -- driving gloves, toothpick, satin scorpion jacket, etc. And I'll admit that I did expect some better car action; it didn't have to top The French Connection but it could've tried, y'know?

It was fun seeing this in a theater because everybody gasped when Joan was, quite suddenly, exploding.

Also! Check out the wonderful Lisa Hanawalt's amazing breakdown of this movie:

WqAMHnd.jpg

I decided the Goose was a cyborg with a lady voiced onboard computer and she'd say things like "I've got a baaad feeling about this max". Max short for Maxamillion ran on pizza sauce and longed to get to his home planet.

Sign in to follow this