🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
seanotron

Now You See Me (2013)

I am dumbfounded by the replies in this thread, absolutely dumbfounded. This movie was easily a 7 out of 10 and it was a lot of fun to watch, and I wasn't confused or upset by any explanation. And there's no way ever this movie will ever be done on the podcast, never, and I'm pretty sure damn near everyone would agree, including Paul, Jason and June. Enough said

a2zofajpg-1.gif

• Like 7

Not only is this film bad, but it's 'unfair' to the audience. A twist should allow the audience to follow it back and understand it's finer points and impact on plot relevant moments. You might as well cut out 90 percent of this film as it's irrelevant to the story and has no relevance to the nonsense twist. The 10 percent remaining is wholely uninteresting and borderline retarded.

Exactly how I felt. I mean, it's well made and all but that ending made me hate it and rendered the whole experience unnecessary to sit through.

• Like 1

I Saw "Non-Stop" (2014) Its unfair to the viewer but the first half is good IMHO

Holy crap. This movie is so terrible, and the ending essentially nullifies the ENTIRE MOVIE. Nothing in the film justifies this bullshit ending. Not to mention the weird acting choices, the horrible dialogue, and the premise that magicians are not only cool, but capable of being super heros. Oh ya, and magic is real.

I liked this movie but I figured out the "twist" ending as soon as they mentioned the card in the tree. The rest of the movie was just trying to figure out Mark Ruffalo's motivation.

The people who don't have a problem with this movie are people who don't understand what a twist is. It can't be random, which this was. The only way this twist would have worked is if the main character knew that he was being watched by a theater audience in every scene and was acting so as to fool us, because even when he is COMPLETELY ALONE he is confused and trying to solve the case. He acts shocked and suspicious when he takes that book from the interpol chick, and reads about a bunch of stuff that he ALREADY KNOWS. Infuriatingly horrible film.

• Like 4

If Ruffalo had turned to the camera, given us double middle fingers and then dropped his pants to piss all over the lens it would have been a much much much much better and coherent ending.

• Like 3

2013 heist flick...with magicians!

This movie is an interesting case study. Throughout it's run time, the film is pretty solidly mediocre until the twist at the end, which I'm convinced had to have been a last minute rewrite, retroactively makes the entire thing a giant, steaming turd.

Also, it was directed by Louis Letterier. I realize that movies are a team effort with creative input from many different people, but every single film that Letterier has directed I've absolutely hated. Yes, even that one you're about to cite that you're sure I've forgotten about.

2013 heist flick...with magicians!

This movie is an interesting case study. Throughout it's run time, the film is pretty solidly mediocre until the twist at the end, which I'm convinced had to have been a last minute rewrite, retroactively makes the entire thing a giant, steaming turd.

Also, it was directed by Louis Letterier. I realize that movies are a team effort with creative input from many different people, but every single film that Letterier has directed I've absolutely hated. Yes, even that one you're about to cite that you're sure I've forgotten about.

I think you're forgetting about 'The Empire Strikes Back'!

The people who don't have a problem with this movie are people who don't understand what a twist is. It can't be random, which this was. The only way this twist would have worked is if the main character knew that he was being watched by a theater audience in every scene and was acting so as to fool us, because even when he is COMPLETELY ALONE he is confused and trying to solve the case. He acts shocked and suspicious when he takes that book from the interpol chick, and reads about a bunch of stuff that he ALREADY KNOWS. Infuriatingly horrible film.

At one point, Mark Ruffalo shoots his gun at a fleeing Jesse Eisenberg, only to have it deflected by French Interpol agent at the last possible second. That means his plan relied on her deciding to do just that at the exact right time.

And didn't Dave Franco die while fleeing FROM Mark Ruffalo?

Given the twist that he was the mastermind behind the whole thing, the actions of Mark Ruffalo's character make absolutely no sense whatsoever. Why bother doggedly pursuing the four horseman and risk disrupting the plan when he could have just fucked off behind his desk the entire time? Did he go through graduate school and the academy at Quantico just for the sake of this plan?

This movie was garbage.

• Like 2

Not going to lie, as frustrating as NYSM was, I'd probably give the sequel a shot because I will want to see if they can top the inanity of the twist of the first one.

• Like 1

I think Michael Caine might be in the elite club of having both a 0% movie and a 100% movie on Rotten Tomatoes. 0% for Jaws 4, 100% for Alfie. It's almost not fair since both of those movies came out long before the internet, but I have yet to come across anyone else on RT who has been in a decent number of movies with that same distinction.

• Like 3

he just can't say no to directors, he doesn't want to hurt peoples feelings. he's just a super nice guy :D LOL

The story is, Michael Caine opened the script for Jaws: The Revenge, and it said "ext: Bahamas" and he said "I'll do it".

• Like 2

They have confirmed Daniel Radcliffe and Lizzy Caplan for the sequel, I'm just wondering how they are going to make a sequel to the first movie, unless it's a new team trying to get in the magician society or whatever.

This movie is about magicians that rob banks and rich guys, not for the money, but to join a secret magic guild that apparently has only one member. It feels like somebody watched the Ocean's movies and thought that they can make a movie just like them but with magicians instead. There is so much I can say about this movie but I would rather hear what you guys think.

No lie, I love this movie. Because I have two great loves: magicians and heist movies. I literally was watching this movie feeling as if someone made is specifically for me. It was like my id wrote a terrible movie script that made no sense and cast my favorite actor from the Avenger and Amy Adams (but not actually Amy Adams, my id just thought it was Amy Adams because it is easily confused by redheads). So no joke, one of my favorite movies and if they did it my Amazon review would probably be picked as raving about it.

I literally was watching this movie feeling as if someone made is specifically for me.

I had the same feeling watching 'Adventures Of Power'...

On-topic though, I'm with you, I think this movie is pretty good. I love a caper movie...

I think most of the problems people have with this movie is not with the magic or the heist but with the twist ending. It would have been a MUCH better ending had they not tried to do that, but I think that was part of the film makers trying to be magicians too.

• Like 1

Nope. Loved the ending. Did it make sense? Probably not. But I can explain away all of the plot holes with "it's all misdirection for the trick."

But I also apologetically love all David Mamet movies no matter how stupid the twists are at the end of them too.

For me the "twist" ending wasn't the worst part. I know it's stupid, but something I really struggled with was the amount of 10 dollar bills in this movie. First Dave Franco's character steals a man's wallet that has about $70 in 10 dollar bills only. That means that guy went inside his bank and requested tens. Then the fake money(with their faces printed on the bills?) for their final trick are also 10 dollar bills. Also, being able to pick locks apparently means you are a magician. Also, the running to a jump high five in the first trick.....also the "twist" ending.

I wonder if this will become the Fast & Furious of magic. Honestly, if they decided to forgo the nonsensical twist endings and each one they tried to just top the absurd magic acts of the previous, I might actually be able to get behind it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmWCUcdHJgQ

Also, what if this one is like Funny Games where one of the characters periodically breaks the 4th wall to implicate the audience in the making of shitty movies.

• Like 1