🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 85.5 — Bonus Cut: Yo, Is "Yo, Is This Racist?" Racist?

Hey Matt, I don't understand why you'd bring on some kid from Twitter to bully (as defined by "the Ethicist") but not actually have on Andrew Ti who's IN L.A. on the same podcasting network. This is the kind of thing that "Case Closed" is built for and he's a person who's actually at your level, which is what Randy Cohen suggested.

I was just doing what he does to help prove my point. This was not a Case Closed. This was a parody of his show and nobody on his show gets to defend themselves. No one dishes it out more than him (5 eps a week?) Surely he can take one ribbing so everyone stop shariqing* so much.

And come on Mississippi, did you really Miss a level on our bit?

*Shariqing - To give oneself a orgasm by calling others racist. An addiction to a delusional feeling of being more righteous than others.

• Like 7

I was just doing what he does to help prove my point. This was not a Case Closed. This was a parody of his show and nobody on his show gets to defend themselves. No one dishes it out more than him (5 eps a week?) Surely he can take one ribbing so everyone ustop shariqing* so much.

*Shariqing - To give oneself a orgasm by calling others racist. An addiction to a delusional feeling of being more righteous than others.

I'm pretty sure it's not a delusional feeling of righteousness when you're comparing yourself with people who see no problem saying the n word. In fact, I'm sure it's not. I guess good job defending all those defenseless racists?

No VVV didn't call in. But it is an open invitation to anyone currently living in Mississippi.

*Sigh* as someone from AL, I love hearing people make fun of Mississippi. Come on Vamps, throw us a bone!

I was just doing what he does to help prove my point. This was not a Case Closed. This was a parody of his show and nobody on his show gets to defend themselves. No one dishes it out more than him (5 eps a week?) Surely he can take one ribbing so everyone stop shariqing* so much.

Good to know people are keeping alive the spirit of Orval Faubus through sketch comedy.

1. Shariq calls everyone racist and makes weak comparisons to horrible racist acts in American history.
  2. DressedLikeaCow and pfchangs like his comment.
  3. Someone calls Shariq a stupid asshole.
  4. Shariq interprets this a racism, because there is never any other reason to disagree with a minority.
  5. Repeat steps 1-4

There, I saved everyone a lot of time. Let's just let this die.

• Like 5

1. Shariq calls everyone racist and makes weak comparisons to horrible racist acts in American history.
  4. Shariq interprets this a racism, because there is never any other reason to disagree with a minority.
  5. Repeat steps 1-4

Oh thank god you were here to explain this for us.

• Like 1

5. Repeat steps 1-4

Nope, missed again.

• Like 1

I know it wasn't a Case Closed. My point was that this is the perfect example of when it wouldn't be bullying to have a Case Closed but instead of facing off against someone you're pissed at, you dedicated an entire episode of your show to mocking him when he's on the same podcasting network as you and you're both anti-racism. Plus, you seemed to think it's racist to stereotype Southerners, as if "Southerner" were a race. Why scream about him and use the N-word to make some non-point when you're both overall on the same side? Why not do a Case Closed and argue it out instead of yelling about insults to Arkansas (especially when you shit on Mississippi)? Are you really angrier about Arkansas jokes than gay rights or racism or gun control or anything else? Because if so, that's disappointing.

As a white woman, the worst thing about racism for me is someone might think I'm being racist when I'm not. But I am at least somewhat racist at least some of the time because racism is a part of our ridiculous society that I have to work on getting de-ingrained from myself. People of color have to worry about getting killed, at the worst, and earning enough money, at the very least. So I just find it hard to feel that bad about people's fear of being called racist or insults to their regions as major problems when "1 Black Man Is Killed Every 28 Hours by Police or Vigilantes."

• Like 5

I know it wasn't a Case Closed. My point was that this is the perfect example of when it wouldn't be bullying to have a Case Closed but instead of facing off against someone you're pissed at, you dedicated an entire episode of your show to mocking him when he's on the same podcasting network as you and you're both anti-racism. Plus, you seemed to think it's racist to stereotype Southerners, as if "Southerner" were a race. Why scream about him and use the N-word to make some non-point when you're both overall on the same side? Why not do a Case Closed and argue it out instead of yelling about insults to Arkansas (especially when you shit on Mississippi)? Are you really angrier about Arkansas jokes than gay rights or racism or gun control or anything else? Because if so, that's disappointing.

As a white woman, the worst thing about racism for me is someone might think I'm being racist when I'm not. But I am at least somewhat racist at least some of the time because racism is a part of our ridiculous society that I have to work on getting de-ingrained from myself. People of color have to worry about getting killed, at the worst, and earning enough money, at the very least. So I just find it hard to feel that bad about people's fear of being called racist or insults to their regions as major problems when "1 Black Man Is Killed Every 28 Hours by Police or Vigilantes."

Goddamn! Case Closed!!!

• Like 1

I think Besser might not want do a Case Closed where he might look like he's not the liberal one an issue.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone is equating the racism and oppression black people face with labeling people in the south as racist, but it doesn't stop it being hypocritical. That's really all that's being said.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone is equating the racism and oppression black people face with labeling people in the south as racist, but it doesn't stop it being hypocritical. That's really all that's being said.

"Alright. Uh, my segment here called 'Yo, is "Yo, is This Racist?" Racist?' I declare: yes."

"It's his [Andrew Ti the host's] responsibility to go, 'Hey, don't you think this generalization you're making about Arkansans and people from Chicago and Detroit is as racist as any other racist kinda statement,' isn't that the most obvious thing to say?"

• Like 1

While I totally agree that Andrew Ti/Joselyn Hughes were out of line in their generalizations about the midwest, the level of vitriol directed toward Andrew and his show is upsetting. The vast majority of what's said on "Yo, Is This Racist?" is both accurate and hilarious. I'm sure that Ti and Besser have a lot of mutual friends (eg Jon Daly) and it would be awesome if the two of them could get together for some kind of follow-up discussion. I know that Besser has nixed the idea of a "Case Closed," but maybe he'd be willing to go on YITR? at some point.

• Like 2

Besser, in regards to Paula Deen, which was more racist: the fact that she wanted a plantation-themed wedding and tossed around the n-word regularly, or that in her interview with Matt Lauer she said people shouldn't be surprised she says the n-word because she's an old white lady from the South?

While I totally agree that Andrew Ti/Joselyn Hughes were out of line in their generalizations about the midwest, the level of vitriol directed toward Andrew and his show is upsetting. The vast majority of what's said on "Yo, Is This Racist?" is both accurate and hilarious. I'm sure that Ti and Besser have a lot of mutual friends (eg Jon Daly) and it would be awesome if the two of them could get together for some kind of follow-up discussion. I know that Besser has nixed the idea of a "Case Closed," but maybe he'd be willing to go on YITR? at some point.

Yeah in general YITR is harmless fun. I've only listened a handful of times but it's always good for some chuckles. The clip Matt played was definitely awful, but...idk. It's a young show and it's going to have some missteps.

I am a bit of a cheerleader, but just let me say this..Andrew Ti hosts a podcast on a comedy network, he isn't the actual czar of racism so his opinions or those of his guests or Matt, or us...only have as much weight as we give them. I would ask we all consider that before we start calling for a show to be cancelled or for people to not use words, or to scream for our right to use a word.

I just wish we would all take a moment to just hear the other person and what they are saying. If someone feels something you said hurt them, be it because you put down their state, used a derogatory term for their race, put down their gender...whatever...just hear them out and try and understand where they are coming from. It's okay to be wrong and to admit it. Actually, it's beautiful and we almost never see it happen anymore and when we do see it, it's awe inspiring.

If they won't listen, walk away and work on someone who will.

I don't know, I just hate when we attack each other, even when we have reasons.

Yo, is this pacifist? Maybe.

This is the line of the thread so far. Which is why the recent crap on youtube with the Most Efficient Argument was so good. They were both like, yes. I'm wrong, so were you. We can all move on now.

But this is the internet and jimmies will be rustled.

• Like 1

Oh God, thank you for this episode. I don't know how I missed it until now. So glad someone at Earwolf called out this awful show and it's bullshit.

A resounding YES! Holy shit, what a bunch of ignorant ironic bigotry that show is. I wish i didn't know it wasn't satire.

Sign in to follow this