🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 85.5 — Bonus Cut: Yo, Is "Yo, Is This Racist?" Racist?

I stopped listening to Yo is this Racist because it was Racist.

• Like 2

It was funny how Matt was talking about states with names that are funny to say, and said that people don't like "Illinois" because of the silent S, while seemingly ignoring that Arkansas also has it. [Granted, he did mention the "Comedy K" sound in Arkansas, which would still make it funnier, but still.]

I know this wasn't technically Case Closed, but it felt similar, and had the same sort of thing where regardless of how you feel about the topic and hand, the ensuing scene is almost always a home run.

• Like 2

Thank you for this episode Mat!!

Since I am from the south throughout my life I have had many people from cities like LA and New York just automatically assume that I am racist and close minded and that where I grew up was like that. Which in itself is being close minded.

And that guest on Yo Is This Racist is ridiculous for taking the blame off of the writers of the show and just throwing it onto the south and midwest. What a lazy cop out excuse

We all know there are no black people in Chicago and Detroit.

Holy shit, that podcast is garbage.

• Like 1

We all know there are no black people in Chicago and Detroit.

Holy shit, that podcast is garbage.

Well, we also learned from Besser that there is no racism in Chicago or Detroit either.

Nope, you don't know what you're talking about. Racism is not about generalizations. If it was then Auburn fans saying Alabama fans are hicks would be racism. It is not. If we went by your definition then the home team fans sitting on one side of the football field and the away teams fans sitting on another would be apartheid.

And yes, when the majority of people in a country vote two times for someone that means that generally approve. And no, the majority of Americans don't hate George Bush. In fact about half of them still support his ideas and philosophies. In fact, even though N.C. went for Obama in the 2008 election, they still have a Republican state assembly made up of people who think Dubya was an ok guy. I don't know where you get this idea where if you have a public election and the majority of people elect an asshole, that it doesn't say something about the people in that state, district, or nation.

Ooh, two paragraphs of misunderstandings!

No, I did not say all generalizations are racist. I said racism is based on generalizations, so condoning or encouraging these assumptions is encouraging what became the larger issue of racism. Your first example (Auburn vs Alabama) is what I'm talking about, albeit on a smaller scale. I would not call it racist, though, and I don't believe I said anything that would imply otherwise. Your second example (home team vs. away team = apartheid) is a more ridiculous argument that has nothing to do with what I said. For starters, they choose where to sit, and people usually don't see other people as inferior in everyday life because of which teams they like.

And thank you for explaining how votes work! But again, you totally missed my point. Yes, the majority was in favor of Bush. But in my experience (I live in Maine, if that matters), it seems everyone hates him. Which is why I don't assume every American I meet supported him.

So yeah, if I'd said those things, I'd be kinda dumb. But you actually just condescendingly responded to a bunch of shit I didn't say. You've been Picklefucked!

Well, we also learned from Besser that there is no racism in Chicago or Detroit either.

Nope. Missed again!

• Like 2

Nope. Missed again!

You're right, we just learned it was not in their top ten problems, and that anyone who pointed out that the other top ten problems were due to institutionalized racism was obfuscating the issue. Not really a shining moment.

• Like 3

Ooh, two paragraphs of misunderstandings!

No, I did not say all generalizations are racist. I said racism is based on generalizations, so condoning or encouraging these assumptions is encouraging what became the larger issue of racism. Your first example (Auburn vs Alabama) is what I'm talking about, albeit on a smaller scale. I would not call it racist, though, and I don't believe I said anything that would imply otherwise. Your second example (home team vs. away team = apartheid) is a more ridiculous argument that has nothing to do with what I said. For starters, they choose where to sit, and people usually don't see other people as inferior in everyday life because of which teams they like.

I understood your stupid point. Saying that Alabama is racist is just as bad as actually being racist. It is a stupid point. It will always be stupid, no matter what you say. The reason it is stupid is because you don't know what the hell racism is. You think it is about generalizing someone and that is not even the tip of the iceberg. That's why you prop up the inane example I gave as 'racism on a small scale'. Or excuse me, you wouldn't call it 'racism', but it is just as bad as actual racism. Just as bad. Because, hey, it works on a generalization, and to idiots, generalizations are foundation of racism.

Man, you did ever read about that time in history when EVERYONE from Arkansas was a slave. They actually branded the shape of the state on their foreheads so they couldn't hide. I actually think it happened before they started bring Africans to this country to be slaves.

And thank you for explaining how votes work! But again, you totally missed my point. Yes, the majority was in favor of Bush. But in my experience (I live in Maine, if that matters), it seems everyone hates him.

And no it doesn't matter what everyone you know says or does. You are not important. The opinions of you and your cronies don't mean shit when compared to 150 million other people who feel differently. You do know that there are states outside of Maine, correct?

Holy shit, you're getting really angry and insulting about things I'm not saying.

Also, cronies? Really? You've decided I'm a guy with cronies? That's fucked up.

As someone who moved from Minnesota to NC last year, I wouldn't say that NC is "more" racist. This is from the perspective of a high school student, so take that as you will.. I do know this though: I never saw people picketing about how gay people totally suck outside of fast food restaurants in Minnesota... But that's something different I suppose.

If you readily admit that the close-minded racists and homophobes outnumber the progressives in the state, then why are you upset when someone calls the state racist? They are having Moral Monday protests right now in Raleigh for a reason. if you are working against racism and sexism then you recognize that the state government is a roadblock, a roadblock setup by your fellow citizens who think blacks and wimmen should know their place and fags don't need to be gettin' married.

At what point did I "admit that the close-minded racists" outnumber the progressives? In fact, I believe I said the opposite. Homophobia is present in every race and religion. I agree things need to change and that there are ignorant people in the South (as there is EVERYWHERE else), but to put a blanket racist label on an entire state or region is just not reasonable.

Also, it's "women" and "getting."

• Like 1

I can't listen to yo is this racist for the reasons already presented. Sadly I live in Mississippi, and I would say most people i know here are racist. To the point that you'd almost be able to make the sweeping generalizations matt says without being far off.

Thank you. What a great bonus episode. Y,ITR is definitely the worst show on Earwolf.

Matt's well on the way to having the best podcast in the universe.

• Like 3

I think it'd be useful for both sides of the debate to recognize the necessity of generalizations to learning and understanding almost anything about the world. Generalizations by definition have exceptions, sometimes lots of them, so the argument "but not everyone is like that!" isn't very persuasive. That's why generalizations are usually not true or false, they're strong or weak. It's stereotypes we should look out for, there's a difference. All stereotypes are generalizations but not all generalizations are stereotypes. I think it'd be a much more interesting debate if everyone agreed on these terms first.

• Like 6

My argument is that, no matter how few exceptions there are, it sucks to call someone a racist asshole without knowing they deserve it.

My argument is that, no matter how few exceptions there are, it sucks to call someone a racist asshole without knowing they deserve it.

Which is the stereotype that all southerners apparently have.

No, your argument is calling some a racist asshole is just as bad a participating in actual racism.

Which is the stereotype that all southerners apparently have.

And they have oppressed for centuries because of it.

The point is that you should first make sure that that's what is being said, because making a generalization about a region or a group is not necessarily the same as judging each individual. I see people talking past each other a lot, conflating the two.

• Like 1

No, your argument is calling some a racist asshole is just as bad a participating in actual racism.

No, my argument is that, no matter how few exceptions there are, it sucks to call someone a racist asshole without knowing they deserve it. You just keep making up stupid shit, and pretending that's what everyone else is saying.

I'm not sure when the last time that woman (not sure who it is otherwise I'd use her name) has been to a comedy club in the Midwest, but a general rule of thumb is that if they city is big enough to have a comedy club, they are generally an open-minded bunch. Racist shit would neeeeeeeever fly in any of the clubs I've been to.

Sign in to follow this