🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
PhillipMedoc

Are foreign movies game?

Not super obscure stuff, obviously, but say something like the 2008 Korean film The Good, The Bad, The Weird? It's on Netflix instant. It's definitely not a bad movie by any means, but very crazy and over the top. Might make for a good "fun" episode in the vein of Crank or Fast & Furious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzNnCK5cd8Q

Or maybe a Tony Jaa movie? The first Ong Bak is pretty bonkers; so is The Protector.

Anyways, everyone should at least watch The Good, The Bad, The Weird. It's super entertaining and there's a couple of really handsome men in two of the leading roles.

• Like 1

I also second the recommendation of watching this film. Good stuff.

Foreign films that have crossed over to America I think should definitely be fair game.

In the vein of bonkers but great like 'Fast Five' and 'Furious 6', what about 'The Raid: Redemption'? An absolutely insane movie.

• Like 1

In the vein of bonkers but great like 'Fast Five' and 'Furious 6', what about 'The Raid: Redemption'? An absolutely insane movie.

I'd love an episode on The Raid, and I think it would have to be a movie like that which is fairly grounded in some reality in order to work for the show. I think for the most part the crazy Japanese movies are too crazy for the show. I know I recommended the Machine Girl a while back but I now realize it just wouldn't work cuz everything in Japanese cinema is like one big acid trip laced in meth.

p.s. If the first teaser is any indication, The Raid's sequel is going to be just as insane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=davnZOjqEM8

I absolutely loved Raid: Redemption but aside from how fast it hits the ground running, it's just a bunch of great fight choreography. Not much to really discuss, methinks. Except maybe, who gets redeemed?

It was really weird seeing the trailer for Dredd and getting serious deja vu. Both good movies but Raid was some of the best pure fighting us chop socky fans have seen in years (since the old guard is now the old guard (Jackie Chan is turning 60 next year!) and Tony Jaa is apparently not interesting in making great films anymore).

That was the funny thing too about Dredd/Raid comparisons. Dredd was actually written and filmed before the Raid had even started production, but they pushed The Raid out into theaters before Dredd which led to people making claims that ideas were stolen by either party.

If they are going to do foreign movies, they should start with anything that Isabelle Huppert has starred in her native France. I liked her in I Heart Huckabees and went on Netfilx to see what else she has done.

One movie was about a repressed piano teacher who is into S & M. The other movie is about a neglectful mother who almost (??) has sex with her son, but definitely watches him have sex at some point.

Actually, any French movie will do if you want see paraphillias on full display.

If they are going to do foreign movies, they should start with anything that Isabelle Huppert has starred in her native France. I liked her in I Heart Huckabees and went on Netfilx to see what else she has done.

One movie was about a repressed piano teacher who is into S & M. The other movie is about a neglectful mother who almost (??) has sex with her son, but definitely watches him have sex at some point.

Actually, any French movie will do if you want see paraphillias on full display.

Jesus, I can only imagine that an episode on The Piano Teacher would be next-level crazy.

The other movie you were referring to is Ma Mere.

Fuck it, take on Jodorowsky.

Holy Mountain, do it. Hands down, most insane movie ever that is actually a movie and not some full on experimental non-narrative art thing. It's pretty infamous, I think most film buffs have seen it, attempted it, or at least know of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_k8oaeHsnc

And if you haven't seen Everything Is Terrible's INFUCKINGCREDIBLE remake of Holy Mountain using only clips from family films about dogs(think Air Bud, Beethoven, etc), go buy it or whatever. It's mind-melting and one of the best films I saw in 2012.

• Like 1

Salo is just gross. I like a lot of Passolini, but Salo is just an endurance test. Holy Mountain is totally watchable.

Salo is like Irreversible - there are some movies I just don't want to put June through.

Oh gosh, yeah, I forgot about June. There's no way she'd sit through Salo - nor should she.

One movie was about a repressed piano teacher who is into S & M.

I would much rather not give Michael Haneke any more attention than he already gets. (He comes off to me like a schoolmarm who is offended by the idea that anybody should go to a movie for entertainment instead of being lectured.)

As for foreign film suggestions, there was a thread on here a while back suggesting "Hausu," which I wholeheartedly endorse. How can you resist a movie where one of the characters is eaten by a piano?

• Like 2

As for foreign film suggestions, there was a thread on here a while back suggesting "Hausu," which I wholeheartedly endorse. How can you resist a movie where one of the characters is eaten by a piano?

I just bought that on blu-ray, it was forever one of my favorite bootlegged ebay dvds I'd put on to freak my friends out. I was so stoked that movie got picked up for Criterion. This also means it's available on Hulu, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ_Yo06kIIA

Anyways, that is a KUH-RAZY awesome movie. I highly recommend it. PSST: Criterion blu-rays are $20 at Amazon right now. I also got Tokyo Drifter (which is not actually the prequel to Tokyo Drift!) and In The Mood For Love before I sobered up.

• Like 1

Yeah Mike Haneke can be really pretentious when it come to movie. I still kind of liked Funny games because he put a random fantasy thing the the movie(the rewind time thing). And the part when the classical music change into rock music. What about Dead sushi. I think doing Foreign movies opening up a couple cans of worms:).

Holy Mountain, do it. Hands down, most insane movie ever that is actually a movie and not some full on experimental non-narrative art thing. It's pretty infamous, I think most film buffs have seen it, attempted it, or at least know of it.

And if you haven't seen Everything Is Terrible's INFUCKINGCREDIBLE remake of Holy Mountain using only clips from family films about dogs(think Air Bud, Beethoven, etc), go buy it or whatever. It's mind-melting and one of the best films I saw in 2012.

WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST WATCH!!!! WHO GAVE THIS MAN MONEY TO MAKE THIS??? HOW DID HE EVEN GET PEOPLE TO PARTICIPATE IN IT???

If they did this movie it would have in an five episode series. That is too much pack into one hour.

Jesus, I can only imagine that an episode on The Piano Teacher would be next-level crazy.

The other movie you were referring to is Ma Mere.

Yes! It seems difficult to gauge but is she a big star in France? Both of those movies belong on Le Skinamax than a regular theatre. But I do think that is a thing with French films. There was another movie with Gérard Depardieu where his sixteen-year-old daughter, played by Kathreen Hiegel, convinces everyone at a resort that he is actually her lover. What the fuck?! Get your old ass outta here! NO ONE believes that you, Crusty Gerard, is going out with her. First, she's a minor and second, you're crusty and old. Actually...if somone hasn't already nominated that on the forums, I'm gonna add it. Just thinking about it makes me shake my head; the very premise of the movie is beyond stupid.

Yes! It seems difficult to gauge but is she a big star in France? Both of those movies belong on Le Skinamax than a regular theatre. But I do think that is a thing with French films. There was another movie with Gérard Depardieu where his sixteen-year-old daughter, played by Kathreen Hiegel, convinces everyone at a resort that he is actually her lover. What the fuck?! Get your old ass outta here! NO ONE believes that you, Crusty Gerard, is going out with her. First, she's a minor and second, you're crusty and old. Actually...if somone hasn't already nominated that on the forums, I'm gonna add it. Just thinking about it makes me shake my head; the very premise of the movie is beyond stupid.

Yeah, Huppert is definitely a respected actress in France. Like a Dianne Wies level - an esteemed character actress, rather than "a star" like Catherine Deneuve.

There IS definitely more incest or hints of it in mainstream French films, than there is over here. But then again, the French loved their sex in their movies like we love our car chases.

Yeah, Huppert is definitely a respected actress in France. Like a Dianne Wies level - an esteemed character actress, rather than "a star" like Catherine Deneuve.

There IS definitely more incest or hints of it in mainstream French films, than there is over here. But then again, the French loved their sex in their movies like we love our car chases.

Every time I see a French film, I think of the my lovers sketch from SNL:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/hot--tub-lovers/n11607/

Unfortunately HDTGM can't do Holy Mountain, because it's "outside the tradition of criticism and review". Oh well.

• Like 2

I think we have a winner, cat & beard Holy Mountain. wow how the hell do you find this shit.

Jarry, if you think that's crazy, you should know that Jodorowsky was verrry close to making a movie out of Dune in the 1970s. It actually went into preproduction, several million dollars spent before it was shut down.

With H.R. Giger doing set design, Jean "Moebius" Giraud doing character/costume design, and Pink Floyd doing the soundtrack. Yeah, holy shitsnacks. To think what could have been...

Probably the most comprehensive source of info is here:

http://www.duneinfo.com/unseen/jodorowsky/

Apparently there's a documentary about the whole thing coming out later this year.

wow how the hell do you find this shit.

I was under the impression Holy Mountain was fairly well known, or at least Jodorowsky has a certain degree of notoriety -- although I suppose it's waned in the last couple of decades.

Sign in to follow this