🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 65 — Howard the Duck: LIVE!

I was watching this movie last night and something weird jumped out at me (from THIS movie? Impossible, I know). It was the scene where Tim Robbins brings the girls in the band pizza and says he's there to watch them undress. Howard looks at the box and asks "What's pizza?" So since the ducks on his home planet evidently don't have pizza, what DO they eat? From our glimpses of Howard's home planet, it looks like they have everything we have on our planet (like movies, TV, music, etc.) So wouldn't they have restaurants too, especially "fast food" type restaurants the equivalent of what we have on Earth? So what would the Duck Planet equivalent be.....bowls of lettuce or something? Do the ducks on Duck Planet eat what normal waterfowl ducks would eat (grass, plants, worms, etc.) or as they have adapted to "Modern Duck" do they now eat any kind of people food? Would Howard eat a burger, for example? Have the ducks on the duck planet mastered agriculture, and know how to harvest other kinds of animals for food, or would they consider that cannibalism? Is a cow considered lower on the food chain than a duck on Duck Planet? And if they DO eat hamburgers, wouldn't they then make the logical next step conclusion and milk the cows for milk, which they could then turn into cheese and create pizza with?

The only thing we really have to go on is that Howard won't eat eggs, which makes sense. As they pointed out on the podcast, I guess seeing a bunch of eggs on a plate would be the equivalent of seeing a bunch of fetuses (although not entirely, because chickens and ducks are different creatures, but close enough I guess). This still doesn't explain though whether Howard eats any other kind of meat like a person does, and how that could possibly make sense given that his society evolved from ducks.

I was watching this movie last night and something weird jumped out at me (from THIS movie? Impossible, I know). It was the scene where Tim Robbins brings the girls in the band pizza and says he's there to watch them undress. Howard looks at the box and asks "What's pizza?" So since the ducks on his home planet evidently don't have pizza, what DO they eat? From our glimpses of Howard's home planet, it looks like they have everything we have on our planet (like movies, TV, music, etc.) So wouldn't they have restaurants too, especially "fast food" type restaurants the equivalent of what we have on Earth? So what would the Duck Planet equivalent be.....bowls of lettuce or something? Do the ducks on Duck Planet eat what normal waterfowl ducks would eat (grass, plants, worms, etc.) or as they have adapted to "Modern Duck" do they now eat any kind of people food? Would Howard eat a burger, for example? Have the ducks on the duck planet mastered agriculture, and know how to harvest other kinds of animals for food, or would they consider that cannibalism? Is a cow considered lower on the food chain than a duck on Duck Planet? And if they DO eat hamburgers, wouldn't they then make the logical next step conclusion and milk the cows for milk, which they could then turn into cheese and create pizza with?

The only thing we really have to go on is that Howard won't eat eggs, which makes sense. As they pointed out on the podcast, I guess seeing a bunch of eggs on a plate would be the equivalent of seeing a bunch of fetuses (although not entirely, because chickens and ducks are different creatures, but close enough I guess). This still doesn't explain though whether Howard eats any other kind of meat like a person does, and how that could possibly make sense given that his society evolved from ducks.

I believe the reason is that the writers didn't have any good duck puns that went with pizza.

• Like 2

Howard has no teeth for what it's worth

Somebody please make a "You are wet/For fowl" Mantzoukas meme.

"No sex now, I'm working" actual film dialog. Schaal was great, I don't think I've ever made it through this movie in one sitting either.

• Like 1

Anime-level rape tentacle is a good way to describe it, but I took a screen grab because of the super fake looking head they used. Imagine the poor bastard crammed in under that seat pushing the tongue through.

howard-the-duck.png

No, I think that looks exactly like Jeffery Jones. Dead on. I'm just kidding. However, since the first time I've ever seen Jeffery Jones, I have always gotten a "this guy looks like he has a rape tentacle somewhere inside of him" vibe.

• Like 1

Anime-level rape tentacle is a good way to describe it, but I took a screen grab because of the super fake looking head they used. Imagine the poor bastard crammed in under that seat pushing the tongue through.

howard-the-duck.png

Actually, it looks like they stole the Arnold puppet head from "Terminator" and slapped some coloring in the hair.

JDL was absolutely EPIC .. just EPIC greatness this episode.

(and Schaal greatness too!)

A quick primer on Howard for those too young to remember:

Howard first appeared in an issue of Man Thing comics. The fans demanded that he get his own comic and Marvel listened. It was a smash hit. It was HUGE! Howard was on Underoos and Slurpee cups. In any Marvel house ad from the time, Howard was right there next to Spider-Man and the Hulk. Marvel's top artists worked on the book.

It was such a huge hit that Disney felt compelled to sue, even though there had been dozens, if not hundreds of other duck characters over the decades that never ruffled their feathers.

Then the movie came out and destroyed the property. Nobody could take it seriously anymore. It was so bad that even the back issues which had been listed at fifty bucks or more in the Comics Buyers Guide were now in the quarter bin.

• Like 1

After taking a break it's awesome to come back to this show and have multiple episodes in a row to listen to! Now that you guys are doing current movies like After Earth, I have to BEG that you do Now You See Me. For the first time ever I found myself just as perplexed and amazed as you guys are on the show while watching that movie. It's really incredible...

how has nobody else commented on Tim Robbins' line about being a lab assistant, only until he finishes school and GETS HIS OWN MUSEUM??

• Like 1

how has nobody else commented on Tim Robbins' line about being a lab assistant, only until he finishes school and GETS HIS OWN MUSEUM??

Yes that is what happens. Once you graduate from scientist school you get your own museum. If you're lucky it will be one with a lab in it. I'm just kidding. But damn, did he really say that? I would go back and check but I can bring myself to watch any part of Howard the Duck again.

You didn't get your own museum after college? I thought it was standard!

As an addendum to my post, at the beginning of the movie when Howard opens his refrigerator, it's filled with a lot of crap, most of which is unidentifiable. There's a jar of what looks like mayonnaise, another squeeze bottle that might be pickles or relish or something (?), a lot of beer, and some tree frogs on a plate. (which Kristen does actually point out in the episode). It remains unclear whether these are real frogs or "gummy" frogs as Kristen hypothesizes. Howard also had pretzel sticks in a bowl when he drinks his beer.

They kind of never show Howard eating much of anything throughout the rest of the movie, so i guess we have to assume he's been surviving on pretzel sticks and beer the whole time I guess. He's also feeding some fish in his apartment at the beginning of the movie, which is weird. So ducks are the dominant species on Duck World, but goldfish are pets? OK.

He's also feeding some fish in his apartment at the beginning of the movie, which is weird. So ducks are the dominant species on Duck World, but goldfish are pets? OK.

What's particularly weird about that? Should goldfish NOT be pets on a Duck World?

What they eat on Duckworld doesn't seem all that perplexing to me, I just assume that since they're like us that there's some overlap, but also since they're alien ducks on a far away planet they probably don't eat some of the stuff we do, and do eat some stuff that we don't.

OMISSION

Thank you for pointing out the parking lot attendant from Ferris Bueller's Day Off ("Relax! I'm a professional!") - it almost makes up for neglecting to mention him as one of the goons from your previous live Super Mario Bros. show.

Love the podcasts.

OMISSION: a huge high-five to JDR from the rest of the HDTGM crew.

She had the greatest duck pun of the entire episode, and NOBODY even acknowledged it.

"Do you think he just wants to settle down?"

Classic. June Diane, you are some kind of punderful.

Yes that is what happens. Once you graduate from scientist school you get your own museum. If you're lucky it will be one with a lab in it. I'm just kidding. But damn, did he really say that? I would go back and check but I can bring myself to watch any part of Howard the Duck again.

We have to ask Bruce Robinson Reid III about this. He is an actual scientist and may very well be in the planning stages of getting a museum, complete with lab and lasers, in Bisonopolis.

my boss saw that over my shoulder and high fived me and gave me a raise

• Like 1

HowardDolby.jpg

The bentinck bartender is Thomas Dolby and he gets a credit for doing all of the music in this movie. what a horrible sound track.

This was a great podcast, once again you guys delivered it home, thanks.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this