🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 181 — Waiters & Chopsticks

Andrew Ti & film composer Jay Israelson finally make a compromise concerning white people and chopsticks. Be sure to keep leaving us messages at (323) 389-RACE.

It's always best when the restaurant has the chopsticks tucked into the folded napkin along with the knife and fork.

um, you have to love Andrew's myopia. There are a few instances of prejudice against white people that are a bit worse than not being trusted with chopsticks or spicy food. Like, for instance, getting sucker punched because you happen to be the only white person in a movie theatre.

um, you have to love Andrew's myopia. There are a few instances of prejudice against white people that are a bit worse than not being trusted with chopsticks or spicy food. Like, for instance, getting sucker punched because you happen to be the only white person in a movie theatre.

Call in with your question, then. Or better yet, if you were jumped in a movie theater, call the cops or at least the theater management.

You're right, if you were the victim of an act of violence, the only way to erase that is to have it addressed by the host of a comedy podcast.

• Like 3

You're right, if you were the victim of an act of violence, the only way to erase that is to have it addressed by the host of a comedy podcast.

There's no comedy in this podcast

• Like 1

Everyone knows that white men have been systematically sucker punched in all-black movie theaters for centuries. Who will stand up for these voiceless victims?

Everyone knows that white men have been systematically sucker punched in all-black movie theaters for centuries. Who will stand up for these voiceless victims?

I knew no actual experience could ever cause you to step off the dogma bus for a minute

i dont want to speak for anyone but i bet everyone thinks it is A Coole Story because you framed it as being a big part of the larger white experience

• Like 2

look son. here's what happens when a man and a woman love each other *smashes dolls together forcefully* now let me tell you about going to a movie theater where you are the only white person: don't

I'm curious, Cracky, why do you think your race was the reason you got sucker punched? Did the guy who punched you say "I'm punching you because you're white and I'm racist against white people" or are you just assuming that was his motivation?

And did you alert the authorities? Did they take your claim seriously? Did the guy who punched you face consequences? Think any other black guys in the area got stopped and harassed because they "matched the description"? What did the other people in the theater do?

• Like 1

First of all pfchang it's interesting that you assumed the theater was "all black" when I didn't say that in my original post. you're right, but anyway...

Basically I was on vacation in Memphis and at the theater with my friend. When the movie was over and we were leaving I heard someone behind me yell, "Hit the white boy! do it!" Then a fist hit me in the back of the head and three guys ran away.

I didn't call the cops because I wasn't hurt that bad and didn't want to waste my vacation talking to cops.

OBVIOUSLY if I had called the cops it would have been taken more seriously than if I had hit the guy who hit me, but that's another issue entirely.

And I never said that my experience was something common, just that the relentless theme on this show and these forums is that there could not possibly ever be any racially tinged experience that could ever cause more than passing inconvienience to a white person, which at the very least shows a lack of imagination.

You were the victim of a violent prank/dare, but I don't think you were the victim of a racist attack.

As a weird kid, I can't tell you how many times I was punched, tripped, been in the middle of a keep-away game with my cap or backpack. It wasn't because of my race; it was because I was different and therefore an easy target.

So I can empathize with your situation, but I certainly can't sympathize with your belief that your situation is equatable to centuries of racial oppression. Also, your situation isn't as forehead-slappingly laughable as a "Give the Asian patrons chopsticks and the white patrons forks" restaurant policy.

"So I can empathize with your situation, but I certainly can't sympathize with your belief that your situation is equatable to centuries of racial oppression."

My belief? What the fuck are you talking about?

So they referenced your race = they're racist against you because you're white? Maybe that was just the easiest way to identify you, particularly if you were the only one there. Geez, white people always think everyone's being racist against them.

And "wasn't hurt that bad and didn't want to waste my vacation talking to cops" kinda makes it sound like a passing inconvenience just sayin ;)

Haha, Crackitivity, maybe you'll think about this next time someone says something that makes someone else angry *spins dialectic wheel like an eighteenth century boat captain in a hurricane*

"So I can empathize with your situation, but I certainly can't sympathize with your belief that your situation is equatable to centuries of racial oppression."

My belief? What the fuck are you talking about?

Oh, go back and read your initial post, cracker.

The tens of times my Indian food has not been spicy enough have been Big Tragedies tho.

Feel Very Oppressed.

• Like 1

Forgive me for bringing this back on topic, but couldn't it also be considered racist against Asians to assume that just because someone is Asian, they will prefer to use chopsticks? Just putting it out there.

damn pfchangs, you torture logic so much, Dick Cheney wants to hire you

Whoa chill out now Cracky no need to go around throwing accusations! Why can't white people ever just have a calm, respectful, civilized discussion about race? You'll never get anywhere in life if you complain about how racist everyone is against you all the time, boy.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this