🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 65.5 — Minisode 65.5

Next week director Marco Brambilla takes us into the future where we see a new city called San Angeles emerge in the Stallone/Snipes sci-fi film Demolition Man. Paul then makes a very tough decision in choosing the winner of this week’s Corrections & Omissions for Howard the Duck, dares anybody to name someone hotter than Brad Pitt, and explains why he must redeem himself in front of Joss Whedon.

I need to hear Jason talking about the "sex" scene for like an hour

I need to hear Jason talking about the "sex" scene for like an hour

I assume you'll be jerking off the entire time.

• Like 1

I assume you'll be jerking off the entire time.

I have the perfect VR helmet picked out for it and everything

• Like 1

You could spend a good portion of the show just talking about the fashion of the future - especially Simon Phoenix' overalls.

I had a huge list of WTFHDTGM after watching Demolition Man recently; pretty excited to have it fresh in my memory. This should be a good one.

I really hope they address my biggest beef with the movie:

Also, this whole movie takes place in the Los Angeles area; I'm pretty sure we're never told about anything else going on in the rest of the state, country, or the entire world. They explain that the Mayor of new L.A. was the one who developed this whole new system, so is all of America like this now? Did L.A. secede?

Seriously, the movie never mentions any other part of the world except for San Angeles -- or did I miss it?

You could spend a good portion of the show just talking about the fashion of the future - especially Simon Phoenix' overalls.

I have on several occasions discussed Sandy's dress made out of the glass rocks you put in fishtanks at great length.

2zfn8gl.jpg

• Like 4

I had a huge list of WTFHDTGM after watching Demolition Man recently; pretty excited to have it fresh in my memory. This should be a good one.

I really hope they address my biggest beef with the movie:

Seriously, the movie never mentions any other part of the world except for San Angeles -- or did I miss it?

Having not seen this in 10-15 years, it's pretty likely that I'm mis-remembering this, but I do have a vague memory of the backstory including the west coast physically breaking off from the rest of America at the San Andreas fault.

I have on several occasions discussed Sandy's dress made out of the glass rocks you put in fishtanks at great length.

2zfn8gl.jpg

It's surprising it didn't catch on...

Can't wait for Denis Leary's speech about how awesome it is to not be a surface dweller adhering to a bunch of bullshit rules while he munches on a ratburger.

• Like 1

2zfn8gl.jpg

Well now, what would you propose wearing to the restaurant of the future, Taco Bell?

Can't wait for Denis Leary's speech about how awesome it is to not be a surface dweller adhering to a bunch of bullshit rules while he munches on a ratburger.

Or his speech about how he wants to run around naked covered in green Jell-O, and saying it as if that's what we all did back in 1997.

From interview with Sly Stallone, regarding three sea shells:

OK, this may be bordering on the grotesque, but the way it was explained to me by the writer is you hold two seashells like chopsticks, pull gently and scrape what’s left with the third. You asked for it…. Be careful what you ask for, sorry.

Illustration: http://www.i-mockery...hree-seashells/

Intesting notes and trivia about Demolition Man: http://blogs.amctv.c...olition-man.php

John Spartan quotes:

- You're gonna regret that decision for the rest of your life...both seconds of it!

- I'm gonna go down there, I'm gonna find Phoenix, and I'm gonna put him in a hurt locker.

- Huxley, enough! This isn't the Wild West. The Wild West wasn't even the Wild West. Hurting people's not a good thing! Well, sometimes it is, but not when it's a bunch of people looking for something to eat!

Simon Phoenix quotes:

- How much do you weigh?

- Simon says, "Die."

- Simon says, "Bleed."

- Simon says, "Everybody's dead."

- I love that smell, reminds me of biscuits and gravy.

Lenina Huxley quotes:

- Not bad for a seventy-four year old. Simon Phoenix knows he has some competition. He's finally matched his meet. You really licked his ass!

- Chief, you can take this job and shovel it.

- Let's go blow this guy.

Edgar Friendly quotes:

You see, according to Cocteau's plan... I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice. I'm the kind of guy who likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder - "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay? I want to smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green Jell-O all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener." You live up top, you live Cocteau's way: what he wants, when he wants, how he wants. Your other choice: come down here... and maybe starve to death.

-- Set up during the initial confrontation in 1996:

Spartan: Where are they, Phoenix?

Phoenix: Now where did I put them? I swear, I'd lose my head if it wasn't attached.

Spartan: I'll keep that in mind.

-- Double Take: Spartan does this a few times. First outside the museum when he spots a periscope, and again after getting the wrong number.

-- There's nothing funny about the prologue of the movie, taking place in 1996 in Los Angeles. It gets funnier than hell in 2032 in San Angeles, though.

-- The rehabilitation programs that all frozen convicts go through. Spartan learns elite knitting skills, much to his annoyance. Phoenix got hacking skills, terrorist training, and tripled strength (!?) as part of the villain's plan.

-- A-Team Firing: Used abundantly by both Phoenix and Spartan, but most notably when Phoenix fires an automatic weapon at Spartan while he's confined in a vise, and still doesn't hit him. Also when Phoenix is standing directly above Spartan in the sewer.

-- I'm confused. Why are we freezing prisoners?

-- Is her dress bedazzled or is it made out of bedazzle? Pure bedazzle.

AVAILABILITY STATUS ALERT

NOT on Netflix Instant

NOT on HBO Go

AIRING on AMC, Monday 7/8 at 9pm and Thuesday 7/9 at 6:30 pm

• Like 2

You can also get it on Amazon Instant (it's worth the $2.99, trust me) to watch on your computer, Roku, Xbox, or whatever.

You can rent it on Youtube (this is new to me, didn't know that was a thing) for $1.99.

Fun movie, seriously. Looking forward to this episode.

You can rent it on Youtube (this is new to me, didn't know that was a thing) for $1.99.

Yeah, I had never heard of it before either until I noticed that they had Howard the Duck when I was searching for that. Not a bad option, but I'd bet they're more likely to shut down copyright-violating regular uploads for movies that they officially offer.

As far as paid avenues go, my cable system (Time Warner, so this may or may not apply to all TW systems) actually has it on demand for $3 HD or $2 SD.

post-22877-0-33473600-1372907266_thumb.jpg

You could just buy this DVD for 7 bucks at amazon, and be set for the next 2 episodes of HDTGM

You need to point out at some point in the episode how Sly would go on to remake the exact same movie 2 years later with Judge Dredd.

Seriously it's the exact same movie. Loose cannon cop in the future gets framed by villain for crime he didn't commit. Hero must team up with chick cop and comic relief lesser criminal to take on the villain who turns out to be working for the society's leader but ends up killing the leader to rule the city for himself.

You need to point out at some point in the episode how Sly would go on to remake the exact same movie 2 years later with Judge Dredd.

Seriously it's the exact same movie. Loose cannon cop in the future gets framed by villain for crime he didn't commit. Hero must team up with chick cop and comic relief lesser criminal to take on the villain who turns out to be working for the society's leader but ends up killing the leader to rule the city for himself.

Don't forget about Rob Schneider... ;)

And that loose cannon cop started his no-nonsense approach to law as Zombie Squad member Marion Cobretti in Cobra

Seriously though, Cobra could serve as an origin story for either one.

Demolition Man is one of my favorite good/bad movies ever. It probably would have been legitimately good if they had just kept the script by the guy who wrote Heathers. Still, some of his transgressive sensibility remains in the finished film. Great score too.