🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
DoodyKnife

Radio (2003) - Cuba Gooding, Jr. and Ed Harris

There is seriously nothing subtle about this performance. It makes Justin Bartha in Gigli seem dignified. This film could really just be summed up as everything critics thought were bad in "The Blind Side" distilled into one movie. Vote for it NOW!

http://fyi.earwolf.com/

Cuba said at the

that "once I got the character locked, physically and mentally, it was just going to work and having fun everyday." Now, call me old fashioned, but WHEN IS PLAYING A MENTALLY ILL PERSON SUPPOSED TO BE FUN?

Look at this inspiration. Feel ashamed at yourselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zonx-_WSfYM

The number of times Radio is referred to as a distraction is ridiculous

• Like 1

Why is it when Hollywood thinks of a disabled person, they automatically go with buck teeth?

• Like 1

Apparently overbite = Downs. Also, I don't want to get into spoiler territory, but they really took a lot of factual liberty with the ending. I guess "based on a true story" means "90% of everything we say is outright lies".

The pictures of the real life Radio make it abundantly clear that he doesn't walk around with his mouth open ("But How will they know he's disabled?" asked Hollywood)

This movie feels like the sports version of Patch Adams, and my proof for this is in the trailer when Radio joyfully shouts "False" and the entire classroom just erupts in applause as if he has done something heroic. This movie will FORCE YOU to think Radio is perfect just for being misunderstood.

This movie feels like the sports version of Patch Adams, and my proof for this is in the trailer when Radio joyfully shouts "False" and the entire classroom just erupts in applause as if he has done something heroic. This movie will FORCE YOU to think Radio is perfect just for being misunderstood.

Was it just me or did people start liking Radio completely out of nowhere? I know he did some cheering, but that seems like the kind of thing that would just get you harassed even more. I guess people have to like him because his name is the title. This movie is just like Rudy, except nothing like Rudy and also awful.

Was it just me or did people start liking Radio completely out of nowhere? I know he did some cheering, but that seems like the kind of thing that would just get you harassed even more. I guess people have to like him because his name is the title. This movie is just like Rudy, except nothing like Rudy and also awful.

That reminds me of other films where an audience seems to be privy to stuff that they can't POSSIBLY know and cheer along or react like they've read the script and saw that personal moment between the two main characters towards the beginning of the film where the classically-trained dancer told her friend that her dead father loved breakdancing. Instead of treating her like a crazy a person when she dons a sideways baseball cap and starts doing The Worm during her ballet recital at the end, the audience knows what's going on immediately and reacts like they expected it to happen when they SHOULD be seriously concerned about what the fuck is going on.

• Like 2

That reminds me of other films where an audience seems to be privy to stuff that they can't POSSIBLY know and cheer along or react like they've read the script and saw that personal moment between the two main characters towards the beginning of the film where the classically-trained dancer told her friend that her dead father loved breakdancing. Instead of treating her like a crazy a person when she dons a sideways baseball cap and starts doing The Worm during her ballet recital at the end, the audience knows what's going on immediately and reacts like they expected it to happen when they SHOULD be seriously concerned about what the fuck is going on.

Well, remember, if you question our good ole' hero, then you must be part of the evil establishment who want their greedy paws in dancing school acceptances, medical license granting, and the success of a small town football team.

This movie needs to be done on principle alone.

• Like 1

No offense to the voters of it, but it's outrageous that Angels in the Outfield is beating this for top three. When the gang has to choose a terrible sports movie, it should either be Hulk Hogan, Cross Dressing, or Full Retard.

No offense to the voters of it, but it's outrageous that Angels in the Outfield is beating this for top three. When the gang has to choose a terrible sports movie, it should either be Hulk Hogan, Cross Dressing, or Full Retard.

Combine the three and you have "Mr. Nanny"!

• Like 6

JCVD's debut movie, Breakin'?

I remember this movie was suppose to be inspirational and uplifting and ended up feeling like Cuba was making fun of him.

Wasn't there video of the real Radio in the credits? I feel that was the studio trying to say "see, he's sort of like this in real life."

• Like 1

Holy Shit, I just rewatched this last night, and I can't believe how much insanity there is. The girls locker room scene, Chickenshit, that poor daughter who's used as a secondary conflict, the fucking police scene, it is bananas. Also, no one has brought it up, so I'll just be the first to say it.

Ed. Harris. Is. Fucking. Garbage. Here.

For me, his character was one of the most unlikable and unsympathetic things in this movie. There is a scene where he cannot take Radio on a school bus to an out of town tournament because of the Principal and he gives him a ride home LEAVES RADIO AT THE SCHOOL IN THE FUCKING RAIN WITH NO RIDE HOME.

I want his character to be torn a new one. Also, Alfre Woodard says, in this movie, the exact problem with this movie

I'm not so sure we're trying to help somebody here, or whether he's being used as nothing more than a glorified mascot

AN ACTUAL LINE FROM THE MOVIE THAT DEFINES GLORIFIED MASCOT.

• Like 2

Eh, both movie are just subtle remakes of Lucas. That was the first movie where miraculously the town (insert outcast,mentally disabled or developmentally challenged person) gets behind them in the last ten minutes of the movie after beating the shit out of them for the previous 90 mins. I'm sure there are bullshittingly inspirational movies before 1986; but this one came to mind first. I did love me some Lucas and Rudy (although Joe Montana once stated that the whole Rudy Rah Rah thing was WAAYY overblown). Havent seen radio, nor will I.

Eh, both movie are just subtle remakes of Lucas. That was the first movie where miraculously the town (insert outcast,mentally disabled or developmentally challenged person) gets behind them in the last ten minutes of the movie after beating the shit out of them for the previous 90 mins. I'm sure there are bullshittingly inspirational movies before 1986; but this one came to mind first. I did love me some Lucas and Rudy (although Joe Montana once stated that the whole Rudy Rah Rah thing was WAAYY overblown). Havent seen radio, nor will I.

I've said that had Rudy not succeeded in making it on the team he'd just have been creepy.

I'd like to see a movie that has the same plot as all of those scrappy underdog sports films that would play out more like it should. Undersized inexperienced kid gets bullied, wants to prove himself, no one believes in him, and by some miracle he gets on the team and in the game. He's in for a couple of plays and then BAM, it turns into the second half of "Million Dollar Baby". I never watched "Friday Night Lights", so maybe that kind of story has already been tackled (HA!) there, but I think my vision is more along the lines of if someone like David Cronenberg decided to do a very special episode of "Saved By The Bell".

Oh you mean the "Saved By the Bell" when Screech is paralyzed from the waist down because Zack guilt-tripped him into wrestling The Gooch? For some odd reason that scenario was the only way that Kelly would go to "the dance" with Zack. So, of course poor, weird, pervy little Screech does what his master commands...

Sorry, listening to a lot of Go Bayside lately...

• Like 3

I'd like to see a movie that has the same plot as all of those scrappy underdog sports films that would play out more like it should. Undersized inexperienced kid gets bullied, wants to prove himself, no one believes in him, and by some miracle he gets on the team and in the game. He's in for a couple of plays and then BAM, it turns into the second half of "Million Dollar Baby".

I watched Gilbert Grape a couple of months ago and had an interesting discussion with Missus C&B. She has a developmentally disabled family member and she was like yeah, many people are patient and kind with the developmentally disabled but a lot are assholes and try to take advantage of them (like in super gross ways, for real) and there's no way in hell an entire town would throw a party for them and guess what? There is no happy ending for them in real life. It just ain't that way.

So yeah, I'd like to see your movie.

Sign in to follow this