🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 66 — Demolition Man: LIVE!

I can grant this wish when I get home from work. Only because I think I owe that to y'all after being so slow to refresh the polls. And mostly because Fighting and Never Back Down are the same movie.

How did Oliver Stone's cartoonish take on professional football (replete with 'Pacino-on-eleven' yelling) stay off that list? Any Given Sunday is a great bad sports movie. Honorable mentions: MVP: Most Valuable Primate (chimpanzee learns to play hockey); Airborne (Seth Green dares the future not to make fun of rollerblading); and The Tooth Fairy (The Rock looks more at home in a tutu than on ice skates).

please do not impugn the movie that gave us steamin willie beamen, any given sunday ownssss

Hey, what you guys may have not known was that Sting ALSO did a song for "Lethal Weapon 3". Maybe THAT was how they got him to participate. Like, maybe they WERE going to put up a poster for a better film in the series, but Sting was all "Lethal Weapon 3, or I fookin' walk, guvna!" or something. Oh, and howzabout "Demolition Man" was written by Sting, but originally recorded by GRACE JONES, and then was covered by The Police shortly thereafter and Sting by himself over a decade later for this movie.

The idea that after only a few decades people forgot about violence is reminiscent of the Star Wars universe where, in the 20 years or so that it took for Luke and Leia to grow up, everybody forgot that the force was a thing. At one point, they can give you a blood test and tell you exactly how much force potential you have, and 20 years later they act likely it's the equivalent of believing is Santa Claus. Heck, Chewbacca was best buds with the jedi kindergarden teacher (I think he may have had a second job, too -- some council job) and then he's acting like Obi-Wan is an unrelatable, madman. Keep in mind, using the force is something that, with a five minute primer, Luke can pick up and use to better aim a torpedo than a computer designed for the job.

Remember when there was no web? That was only about 20 years ago. Remember when home computers weren't ubiquitous? That was only about 30 years ago. Rotary phones? These movies treat the passage of less than half a lifetime as if it was hundreds of years. Not just that you wouldn't have direct experience with something (or its lack) but that your parents and grandparents wouldn't have been around to constantly tell you how things used to be (which is, let's face it, what they live for).

It takes centuries, not decades, for the the past to get that mythologized.

• Like 3

I'm glad Paul was able to join the gang remotely from his nuclear fallout shelter in Nicaragua.

• Like 2

Oh man, can't wait to listen to this episode.

Also, glad to see the new poll. Out of all those sports movies, I'm crossing my fingers for a review of "No Holds Barred." It is amazing.

25.gif

• Like 1

The idea that after only a few decades people forgot about violence is reminiscent of the Star Wars universe where, in the 20 years or so that it took for Luke and Leia to grow up, everybody forgot that the force was a thing. At one point, they can give you a blood test and tell you exactly how much force potential you have, and 20 years later they act likely it's the equivalent of believing is Santa Claus. Heck, Chewbacca was best buds with the jedi kindergarden teacher (I think he may have had a second job, too -- some council job) and then he's acting like Obi-Wan is an unrelatable, madman. Keep in mind, using the force is something that, with a five minute primer, Luke can pick up and use to better aim a torpedo than a computer designed for the job.

Remember when there was no web? That was only about 20 years ago. Remember when home computers weren't ubiquitous? That was only about 30 years ago. Rotary phones? These movies treat the passage of less than half a lifetime as if it was hundreds of years. Not just that you wouldn't have direct experience with something (or its lack) but that your parents and grandparents wouldn't have been around to constantly tell you how things used to be (which is, let's face it, what they live for).

It takes centuries, not decades, for the the past to get that mythologized.

It reminds me of that early episode of "South Park" where they find the guy that had been frozen for a couple of years and they don't know how they're supposed to treat him or communicate with him, so they keep him in a room that's meant to replicate what it must have been like in 1995, which they guessed to contain a lot of flannel and Ace of Base.

• Like 1

Oh man, can't wait to listen to this episode.

Also, glad to see the new poll. Out of all those sports movies, I'm crossing my fingers for a review of "No Holds Barred." It is amazing.

25.gif

PlanBFromOuterSpace Shaka Brahs this

• Like 1

Your Table:

SylvesterStallone%2BDemolitionMan%2Bcryo%2Bdummy.jpg

Sylvester%2BStallone%2BDemolition%2Bman%2Bdummy%2B.jpg

Nice! I never got seated near anything cool. I'd always get stuck in a corner with Bruce Willis's hat and glasses from "Hudson Hawk" or something.

I have to point out two omissions. First, did nobody notice the C-4 drums before the building exploded? Second, Huxley makes a comment about Spartan's active duty arrest record that basically works out to Spartan made at least one arrest per day in the three years leading up to him finally catching Phoenix, which just doesn't sound mathematically feasible to me.

Also, on the subject of the seashells, who the hell uses seashells, paper, or any other tools to pull the shit out of their own ass?! I don't know about you guys, but mine just falls out into the toilet.

Also, when we watch Stallone get frozen, it is clearly via chemical reaction that takes whatever Zima or whatever is pumped into his tank and turns it solid with the addition of the little blue thing. So it's a chemical process, not a thermodynamic process. In other words, they're not putting him in a literal freezer, they're placing him in suspended animation. Nonetheless, 36 years later, the place is so cold, and apparently so poorly designed to deal with the stresses of it's own environment, that everything in the prison is covered in frost. Also, the liquid that covers Phoenix at the end is the same liquid that is used to put people in suspended animation. So, again, it is designed to KEEP PEOPLE ALIVE, but when it is activated this time it suddenly behaves like liquid nitrogen, and Phoenix shatters like the liquid metal Terminator.

Oh! And apparently there are different levels of fine for obscenity, because the first time we see it used is when Huxley mutters "sanctimonious asshole" under her breath, and is fined one half credit for "A sotto voce violation of the verbal morality act"

• Like 1

This is on AMC right now. Coincidence? Or does Paul secretly own AMC? YOU DECIDE.

• Like 2

I can grant this wish when I get home from work. Only because I think I owe that to y'all after being so slow to refresh the polls. And mostly because Fighting and Never Back Down are the same movie.

And can Rocky IV or V replace Above the Rim? Having neither of those as choices is a war crime.

I've seen Demolition Man dozens of time, and never once considered that Bullock would have been his daughter, that shit is insane but so possible when you think about it. And the similarities between this and Judge Dredd are uncanny to where I begin to think Stallone just mad libbed Dredd's script.

I think one of my favorite parts of this episode had to be when Jason learned Jack Black was in the movie.

Edit: JUST KIDDING THIS WAS RE: THE SEA SHELLS WHOOPS

Mtp1vYu.jpg

• Like 1

Alright my preciouses...

I gave you Radio and Any Given Sunday on this poll. I love all the other suggestions and they will all be seen eventually!

...though I have doubts about "M.V.P." because I tried desperately to get y'all to vote for "Ed" with no success. And at least that one has Joey Tribbani in it <_>

• Like 2

This is on AMC right now. Coincidence? Or does Paul secretly own AMC? YOU DECIDE.

I watched it on there last night, though I slept through large chunks of the first half. Despite all the bonkers stuff, it's kind of boring. They aired it with "story notes", basically little trivia bits throughout the show. A lot of this was stuff that Paul covered. My favorite might have been that Phoenix's hair inspired Dennis Rodman to dye his. This is kind of amazing because Phoenix said "Simon says" a lot and Rodman later starred in SIMON SEZ with JCVD.

Even without the behind the scenes info, I think the timeline settles the daughter issue as was mentioned early in this thread, but it is extremely weird that they brought that up and then just dropped it. They could have had a 30-second scene at the end with him deciding to call his daughter, and just ending the movie as she picks up. By the way, despite the semi-creepiness and the fact that I haven't liked her for 15 years, Sandra Bullock was kind of adorable in this.

In terms of the visual style and the tone of this script, did this remind anyone else of the Schumacher Batman movies?

...though I have doubts about "M.V.P." because I tried desperately to get y'all to vote for "Ed" with no success. And at least that one has Joey Tribbani in it

#MonkeyingAround, MVP vs Ed vs Dunston Checks In, it can happen!

Oh yeah, about the styrofoam airbag replacement - I don't know if this was the intent, or if it was just poorly executed, but it wasn't just the inside of the car filling with styrofoam. Spartan punched through the (former) door, and then Huxley pulled it away in pieces, meaning the actual body of the car apparently turned into styrofoam.

Okay, so I watched Demolition Man on AMC, then came to Earwolf to listen to this show, and I have a few minor notes for both.

The movie itself:

-I find it odd that the police, when going to arrest Phoenix, have no idea how to approach him (taking cues from an iPad/GPS-like device), yet within police headquarters, have no problem forcefully arguing with each other (admittedly, that's mostly the police chief and Stallone, but even Huxley yells at her superior at least once)

-Huxley mentions that Taco Bell being the only restaurant is the result of something referred to as "The Franchise Wars", yet never goes into detail about them. Which leads me to wonder if this was just a regular competition among fast food chains to put each other out of business, or if, say, Subway armed their "sandwich artists" and sent them out in physical combat with McDonald's employees?

Regarding the HDTGM episode:

-Wyatt was killing it. I cracked up at "Send him to Ice Jail" and continued to crack up throughout the episode.

-It's interesting that the International version changes lines about Taco Bell to lines about Pizza Hut, when they are in fact, owned by the same company (along with KFC). I actually live not far from a Taco Bell/Pizza Hut combined restaurant. You would think these restaurants would have banded together during the Franchise Wars, but perhaps this was like the Civil War, pitting franchise brother against brother?

-There was talk about making words longer and stupider in the future (replacing "time" with "tick-tocks"), but I do believe that sort of thing can happen. I've heard a number of people use the term "cray-cray" in place of crazy, which both sounds moronic and takes up the same amount of syllables. The first time you hear something that stupid, you look at the person who uttered it like they're a total douche, but you eventually just stop caring. So, y'know, the future!

My favorite might have been that Phoenix's hair inspired Dennis Rodman to dye his. This is kind of amazing because Phoenix said "Simon says" a lot and Rodman later starred in SIMON SEZ with JCVD.

Not like it matters, but Rodman worked with JCVD in "Double Team". "Simon Sez" was technically a starring vehicle for Rodman alone.

A few things I saw:

1. If future cars in a society with so many regulations have the capacity for auto-drive, why is turning it off an option?

2. Why is the dude from Beetlejuice carrying a watch the size of a large briefcase in the scene when Cocteau meets Phoenix?

3. Did anyone else think that the disk in the tiny metal box (that turns out to be security cam footage (complete with edited camera angles))was some sort of history lesson on the earthquake that killed Spartan's wife? It seemed like it was time for a scene like that, complete with teary close-ups.

4. Seriously, the theme for "The Love Boat" is playing during the sex scene.

5. If sex involves virtual headgear, why did she change clothes?

6. In the fight in the museum that goes into the "Earthquake L.A." WHY DID THE FIRE HYDRANT STILL WORK WHEN IT GOT SHOT?