🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 66 — Demolition Man: LIVE!

Recorded LIVE at SubCulture in New York, Wyatt Cenac joins us as we dive into the futuristic world of Demolition Man! We discuss the frozen Sylvester Stallone cube, the slang of the future, the possibility that Wesley Snipes improvised every one of his lines, Denis Leary’s rant, and seashell wiping. Get ready for some spot on Stallone/Snipes impressions!

So in this movie we have the LA cops believing a black convicted criminal's word over a white police officer's. I thought this was supposed to be science fiction, not fantasy!

• Like 2

While according to tvtropes.org the original script DID have Huxley turn out to be his daughter, Sandra Bullock was 29 when this movie was made. Spartan is frozen in 1996. I don't remember how old they say she was at the time, but even assuming his wife was merely pregnant with his daughter, in the year 2032 she would be at the very least 36 years old. Not a huge leap, but considering it seems Spartan has memories of his daughter, she's probably closer to 40.

Also this (jump to 3:20):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNhs99lO9dE

• Like 3

It's San Angeles, there must be anti-aging tech! And the fact that it went from daughter to love interest is disturbing.

EDIT: ALSO, if Sandra Bullock is 29, then Stallone is fucking someone who is undoubtedly YEARS YOUNGER than his daughter (Who I'm gonna say was 8 when he froze, coming out to 44), which somehow seems more creepy

Lol, fantastic as always, though, Paul, why do you sound like you are skypeing into a vacuum that is broadcasted over wideband to the theater everyone else is in? Also, nobody likes Whodunnit? ya jerk. No...not even in a 'so bad, it's good' way. Kinda bad taste to accept a cut of the advertising revenue while mocking the provider's premium services...

I do believe that wyatt should be on more episodes haha he was perfect for this! i loved it soo many things to talk about.. soo many good quotes.. thanks a lot!

I just wanted to say that HDTGM is killing it with the guests! PFT? Kristen Schaal? Wyatt Cenac? Hats off folks.

• Like 2

While according to tvtropes.org the original script DID have Huxley turn out to be his daughter, Sandra Bullock was 29 when this movie was made. Spartan is frozen in 1996. I don't remember how old they say she was at the time, but even assuming his wife was merely pregnant with his daughter, in the year 2032 she would be at the very least 36 years old. Not a huge leap, but considering it seems Spartan has memories of his daughter, she's probably closer to 40.

Hearing them talk about the movie, I knew it would turn out that the original script had her being his daughter, and they had changed it so that she was his love interest instead. And in true Hollywood fashion, they were super lazy about it so they just left in all the clues and foreshadowing telling you she was his daughter.

• Like 1

I haven't listened yet so I scrolled past all the comments so fast...

But I wanted to invite you to vote in the new poll now up on For Your Inconsideration!

This round: "Fun" flops about athletics from the #soresports tag! Vote away!

Hearing them talk about the movie, I knew it would turn out that the original script had her being his daughter, and they had changed it so that she was his love interest instead. And in true Hollywood fashion, they were super lazy about it so they just left in all the clues and foreshadowing telling you she was his daughter.

This movie would have been 1000% better if they had left in the part about Bullock being his daughter and still have Stallone get with her. The French love a good incest sci-fi flick, so it would have done gangbusters over there.

aw man havent listened yet but so dope that wyatt cenac is on this episode

This movie would have been 1000% better if they had left in the part about Bullock being his daughter and still have Stallone get with her. The French love a good incest sci-fi flick, so it would have done gangbusters over there.

Les Cousins Dangereux in Spaaaaace

• Like 5

I haven't listened yet so I scrolled past all the comments so fast...

But I wanted to invite you to vote in the new poll now up on For Your Inconsideration!

This round: "Fun" flops about athletics from the #soresports tag! Vote away!

I guess I've never been one for sports movies (at least bad ones), because I have literally seen none of those.

I guess I've never been one for sports movies (at least bad ones), because I have literally seen none of those.

Same, although my curiosity is giving me a strange desire to check out 'Juwanna Mann'

Also, HOW IS RADIO NOT ON THAT LIST. Best worst sports movie of all time. Can we amend?

EDIT: So Radio wasn't recommended in time, which is outrageous, so may I start the campaign to replace current last place/0 votes Fighting with totally deserves it Radio? I IMPLORE YOU!

The biggest flaw of this movie is the concept. The whole point of prison is to take years away from you not prolong your life. The worse the criminal you are the more years you get. In reality people would be paying a fortune for this service.

• Like 5

Great episode! I love the live shows!

But seriously, was Paul even in the same room? It was like he was yelling from the hall outside!

EDIT: So Radio wasn't recommended in time, which is outrageous, so may I start the campaign to replace current last place/0 votes Fighting with totally deserves it Radio? I IMPLORE YOU!

I can grant this wish when I get home from work. Only because I think I owe that to y'all after being so slow to refresh the polls. And mostly because Fighting and Never Back Down are the same movie.

• Like 2

June is spot on with her macro point about this movie...so if the choice is between a society with no violence and no access to green Jello and Playboys and a society with lots of violence and green Jello and Playboys, I would choose the former. And it seems like if they just relaxed the dietary restrictions, Leary would be cool with everything.

But I did love this movie when I was a kid and still love it now, it is a perfect summer time movie. Also, it is best movie to wash your clothes to, take that as you will.

I can grant this wish when I get home from work. Only because I think I owe that to y'all after being so slow to refresh the polls. And mostly because Fighting and Never Back Down are the same movie.

Gracias Shannon!

tumblr_ljvvxcQGj71qf86qm.gif

• Like 1

I love that Paul's computer keeps getting messages from random people.

• Like 1

shout out to paul hope he gets out of his deep sea vessel before they record the next episode

• Like 4

I know someone mentioned it briefly, but that car really bugged me. Not the future care, the 1970 Oldsmobile 442. It wasn't only how they get it underground, and then to street level, my problem is that there is no way that car would be running. You are talking about a world where I'm pretty sure all of the cars are electric, so where do they get enough gas to fuel a car that gets maybe 8 miles a gallon? They can't store it, because gasoline isn't viable after it sits for 30 years. Also, who is maintaining that car? Where are they getting replacement parts? Who is changing fluids and finding tires that fucking fit the rims? You obviously can't be driving it around, so how is it possibly in good enough condition to just start er up and get to driving?

On another note, if there was a massive earthquake in 2010 that killed a ton of people and I am assuming caused massive damage to buildings, wouldn't the cryo jail have been damaged, possibly resulting in the premature unfreezing, and subsequent death, of all of the prisoners? Are we to believe that the cryo prison came through completely unscathed?

• Like 1