🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 66 — Demolition Man: LIVE!

I just realized the dumbest thing about this entire movie. The scene where Coctou and Phoenix first meet, and Phoenix can't pull the trigger because he's been programmed not to kill him. If in this world and this future they are capable of behavioral programming to that degree then:

WHY NOT DO THAT WITH EVER FROZEN PRISONER?

You could take this further. If Coctou really wanted to kill Freely, then he could just reprogram any prisoner--not the most violent psychopath in the entire prison. You could just take any guy and make it so that all he wants to do is kill Freely, and no one else.

I think my mind just blue itself.

I have a question about the movie, when they are playing the scene of hip hop music set to Snipes beating up the cops, at the end the last cop he beats up is moving very stiff and you can hear "zeet zeet" sounds when he moves. My question is, was that guy a robot and if he was where are the other ones?

Someone brought up why Phoenix is so comfortable in the future while Spartan struggles to grasp things. Its because Phoenix had all this info given to him through his cryo reprogramming. This is why he can speak Spanish, is gifted in martial arts, and knows all the bank codes/codes to activate anti-graffiti prongs.

Cocteau made his cryo-programming so that he would be an unstoppable killer and could take out Friendly. As it has been pointed out though, probably a bad choice.

Thanks a lot, Wyatt, for ruining the end to Old Boy. You easily could've proved your point about Demolition Man without doing that.

Thanks a lot, Wyatt, for ruining the end to Old Boy. You easily could've proved your point about Demolition Man without doing that.

I'm pretty sure the moratorium on spoilers is maybe a good five or six years, so if you haven't seen Old Boy in the last ten years (and why haven't you?) that's your fault.

By the way, Aerith dies; Snape kills Dumbledore; and Bruce Willis has actually been a ghost the entire time.

• Like 2

hmm it is a movie from south korea getting a spike lee remake later this year so i could understand both sides of the spoiler argument. happy to give any other forum controversies my personal brand of objective commentary if anyone is interested

it is a movie from south korea getting a spike lee remake later this year

Which is easily on the top five of all time unnecessary remakes. I'm not against remakes, they don't bother me -- it's not like the original film gets replaced or whatever. But it's just dumb. It's like... I don't know, Kathryn Bigelow remaking Amélie, or Joon-ho Bong making a Korean version of Blue Velvet.

Actually, it's a lot like this:

pvWGBSH.jpg

• Like 1

If it results in an equally funny Weekend Update segment, I'm OK with that.

• Like 1

Kathryn Bigelow remaking Amélie

misread this originally and thought this had actually happened. dang

DId anyone else wonder why there was still water pressure in the fire hydrant when Stallone and Snipes are fighting below the museum? Where is that water coming from???

I think I know what happened to the world outside San Angeles.

Remember the laser rifle in the museum? Now the world of 1996 was already in chaos with just normal guns and bullets, with contemporary weapon technology, imagine what that world would have become if people were running around with super high tech laser guns. There would have being more than just a burning Hollywood sign or a city on fire.

There was no earthquake. What actually happened was World War III, or a something similar. And the world outside San Angeles was basically a post-apocalyptic wasteland, ravaged by a war that took place many years ago.

Think about it: Denis Leary’s people actually had no need to hole up underneath the city. If they were so unhappy in San Angeles, all they have to do was to move to another state and they could have all the junk food they could eat. Or at least established a base somewhere outside San Angeles to build up an army of some sort that would one day take back the city. Even if the "Great Earthquake" was a national-scale disaster that ravaged the United States to the extent that the rest of the America was inhabitable, they could still move to another country and live the life Leary kept ranting about. It’s not like there was no beef in Britain or Canada. If they could make burgers in the sewers with rat meat, they could make burgers anywhere.

But they didn’t do any of that. Why? Because there was nothing outside San Angeles – no Texas, no New York, no Canada, no Mexico, no Europe, no Asia, no Africa. It’s just a massive wasteland outside the city. All the other states and countries were wiped out by laser guns and other similarly high-tech weapons.

This was why Cocteau’s government forbade any kind of violence, or any body contact. Because they wanted to eliminate any possibility of getting another world war. No body contact, no conflict. No conflict, no WW4. And they also suppressed anything pertaining to violence, in fear of inciting violent behaviours or thoughts. That include music, books, and of course the history of the last great war, which was all about war, destruction, and how to create war and destruction. Hence the “Great Earthquake.”

Why the weapon exhibition in the museum then? A reminder, a warning to those who survived the previous great war. As well as tools to educate the younger generation about the evil of weapons and any form of conflict.

So Cocteau was in fact a radical with good intention. He wanted to maintain peace. At any price. Because he wanted to preserve what left of mankind. Unfortunately he went too far. And John Spartan would eventually bring about WW4 and the extinction of humanity, thus truly becoming the “Demolition Man.”

• Like 1

Exploring Demolition Man

This guy did his homework.

10 min clip. goes by fast.

Lots of things we speculated semi to fully confirmed.

• Like 1

From Blake Harris' Slashfilm on Bloodsport (Sheldon Lidditch interview)

Still is. You know, Jean-Claude was totally overwhelmed when he got to work with Stallone on Expendables 2. Because for years he would turn down roles if his character had to be defeated at the end. If he had to be the bad guy and killed by the protagonist. Like, very famously, he turned down Demolition Man. It was offered to him and Seagal. And the two of them, they didn’t talk about it, but they’d basically bicker through their agents because neither one wanted to be the criminal who gets killed at the end. Both of them wanted to be the cop.

Can you imagine?

• Like 1