Episode 7 — A Crazy Moment in Phishtory

82 replies to this topic

#1 Brett Arnold

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 86 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

After a rather lengthy hiatus, Scott and Harris are back with another classic episode of Analyze Phish! If you're new to Analyze Phish, let me get you up to speed: Harris Wittels and Scott Aukerman are friends, Harris likes Phish, and Scott does not. Harris does his best to change Scott's mind, although even a drug-fueled trip to a Phish show in New York proves futile. In this long awaited episode, Scott and Harris take calls from eager Phish fans in an attempt to better persuade Scott, and special guests Nathan Rabin and Nick Thorburn join in on the fun.

#2 Kevin Irmiter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:13 PM

OH MY GOD

A NEW ANALYZE PHISH EPISODE

I JUST HAD A PODGASM

#3 Memphish_Boognish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:16 PM

My call starts at like an hour and five minutes in

I am now on an Earwolf podcast!

#4 Gym Sockerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:11 AM

Listening to Phish fans recommend tracks is like listening to wine connoisseurs try to pick each other up at tastings.

#5 Sean G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:56 AM

I've only made it through the first break but this is hilarious. Loved Scott asking if that guy's parents were high. And "cool story if it ends there." Good stuff. And thank you so much for keeping the music in very small pieces as I agree it is generally awful.

#6 justinmh05

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:31 AM

First off - yesssssssss!!!!

I haven't listened yet, but please tell me they got into Nathan being an ICP juggalo as well as a Phish-head.

Analyze ICP - now THAT is a frightening prospect!

#7 Memphish_Boognish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:43 AM

justinmh05, on 10 July 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:

First off - yesssssssss!!!!

I haven't listened yet, but please tell me they got into Nathan being an ICP juggalo as well as a Phish-head.

Analyze ICP - now THAT is a frightening prospect!

He talks about his Juggalo stuff a bunch on his episode of Fogelnest Files last week

#8 HYD4LYF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:45 AM

Everyone is wrong. The only way to get anyone to like Phish who doesnt like Phish is through studio albums. Hoist, Rift or Junta even. Love this podcast so much haha.

#9 MattCameron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:09 AM

Yeahhhhhhhhh

#10 justinmh05

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:20 AM

Out of all the Phish music played in these podcasts, the only song I can actually say I've liked and bought on iTunes has been 'Bouncing Around the Room', which apparently makes me an asshole to Phish fans, right? :D

#11 sarah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:33 AM

Glorified cover band. Blech.

#12 Mattress Sale

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:41 AM

Up to the first break - I might like this more than the live episode.

I think an interesting take for a future episode could be Scott trying to get Harris into actual good music, based on the qualities that he seems to like about Phish. For example, Scott likes Yo La Tengo (or at least had them on CBB), and they tend to jam out sometimes and aren't complete garbage. It might be boring, I dunno, but the entertainment of these episodes is them disagreeing anyway.

#13 GoofusOmega

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:02 AM

Omg Marcusssssssss. Lotta laughs.
The girl in the floral two piece capri pant pajama set.

#14 MarmOfSmarm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:25 AM

The isolation Harris feels about his Phish Phandom:

"Well I can't talk to anyone, that is why I need to host a call-in show just to talk to somebody about Phish."

#15 Syme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:34 AM

Nick articulated some of their problems well. The only song I've really liked so far is Harry Hood and that's one that actually seemed to feel more cohesive because it's going for a big beautiful epic sound that keeps building and it mostly sticks to that. But Divided Sky for instance sounded like it was about to go in that direction, from the song title you'd think it would, but then it goes into some silly jaunty thing, which would be fine if they'd stick with that, but it sounded like each musician was playing a different style of music.

#16 Steve Henel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:35 AM

I really want to start a podcast called "Dying Alone," where it's just me by myself, talking about how Don't Stop or We'll Die is the greatest band ever.

#17 sarah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

This Evan phone call is killing me. In a good way.

#18 Steve Henel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:20 AM

"Theater is tough right now. Are you a singing actor?" Kid Showbizness strikes again!

#19 rod aug

RIP Wheelchair Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

Holy shit Nick Thorburn!? *clicks name, sees that he's done many Earwolf shows* FUCK I have a lot of podcast listening to do today.

#20 JonD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

The whole podcast is making my morning, but I'm losing it right now during the Marcus call.