🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Brett Arnold

Episode 7 — A Crazy Moment in Phishtory

After a rather lengthy hiatus, Scott and Harris are back with another classic episode of Analyze Phish! If you're new to Analyze Phish, let me get you up to speed: Harris Wittels and Scott Aukerman are friends, Harris likes Phish, and Scott does not. Harris does his best to change Scott's mind, although even a drug-fueled trip to a Phish show in New York proves futile. In this long awaited episode, Scott and Harris take calls from eager Phish fans in an attempt to better persuade Scott, and special guests Nathan Rabin and Nick Thorburn join in on the fun.

• Like 1

OH MY GOD

A NEW ANALYZE PHISH EPISODE

I JUST HAD A PODGASM

• Like 3

Listening to Phish fans recommend tracks is like listening to wine connoisseurs try to pick each other up at tastings.

• Like 4

I've only made it through the first break but this is hilarious. Loved Scott asking if that guy's parents were high. And "cool story if it ends there." Good stuff. And thank you so much for keeping the music in very small pieces as I agree it is generally awful.

• Like 2

First off - yesssssssss!!!!

I haven't listened yet, but please tell me they got into Nathan being an ICP juggalo as well as a Phish-head.

Analyze ICP - now THAT is a frightening prospect!

First off - yesssssssss!!!!

I haven't listened yet, but please tell me they got into Nathan being an ICP juggalo as well as a Phish-head.

Analyze ICP - now THAT is a frightening prospect!

He talks about his Juggalo stuff a bunch on his episode of Fogelnest Files last week

Everyone is wrong. The only way to get anyone to like Phish who doesnt like Phish is through studio albums. Hoist, Rift or Junta even. Love this podcast so much haha.

Out of all the Phish music played in these podcasts, the only song I can actually say I've liked and bought on iTunes has been 'Bouncing Around the Room', which apparently makes me an asshole to Phish fans, right? :D

• Like 1

Up to the first break - I might like this more than the live episode.

I think an interesting take for a future episode could be Scott trying to get Harris into actual good music, based on the qualities that he seems to like about Phish. For example, Scott likes Yo La Tengo (or at least had them on CBB), and they tend to jam out sometimes and aren't complete garbage. It might be boring, I dunno, but the entertainment of these episodes is them disagreeing anyway.

• Like 1

The isolation Harris feels about his Phish Phandom:

"Well I can't talk to anyone, that is why I need to host a call-in show just to talk to somebody about Phish."

• Like 1

Nick articulated some of their problems well. The only song I've really liked so far is Harry Hood and that's one that actually seemed to feel more cohesive because it's going for a big beautiful epic sound that keeps building and it mostly sticks to that. But Divided Sky for instance sounded like it was about to go in that direction, from the song title you'd think it would, but then it goes into some silly jaunty thing, which would be fine if they'd stick with that, but it sounded like each musician was playing a different style of music.

I really want to start a podcast called "Dying Alone," where it's just me by myself, talking about how Don't Stop or We'll Die is the greatest band ever.

• Like 5

"Theater is tough right now. Are you a singing actor?" Kid Showbizness strikes again!

Holy shit Nick Thorburn!? *clicks name, sees that he's done many Earwolf shows* FUCK I have a lot of podcast listening to do today.

The whole podcast is making my morning, but I'm losing it right now during the Marcus call.

Up to the first break - I might like this more than the live episode.

I think an interesting take for a future episode could be Scott trying to get Harris into actual good music, based on the qualities that he seems to like about Phish. For example, Scott likes Yo La Tengo (or at least had them on CBB), and they tend to jam out sometimes and aren't complete garbage. It might be boring, I dunno, but the entertainment of these episodes is them disagreeing anyway.

Harris already likes all that music. He just REALLY likes Phish.

Nick articulated some of their problems well. The only song I've really liked so far is Harry Hood and that's one that actually seemed to feel more cohesive because it's going for a big beautiful epic sound that keeps building and it mostly sticks to that. But Divided Sky for instance sounded like it was about to go in that direction, from the song title you'd think it would, but then it goes into some silly jaunty thing, which would be fine if they'd stick with that, but it sounded like each musician was playing a different style of music.

I would recommend going and listening to the entire song. It breaks into a really beautiful melody and airy jam followed by a big, epic ending.

The problem is that with the time constraints (and Scott's patience) is that the songs get cut off early.

Like Memphis, I'm pretty sure Scott will never like Phish, but as long as that results in more of these episodes I'm totally fine with that.

Aquaman couldn't understand this band. Not with all the concentric circles in the goddamn world.

• Like 1

Show format suggestion. Lose Scott and skeptics who just want to shit on the band. Bring in someone who has music they would like to share and share back and forth with Phish and their favorite underdog band. It'll even the playing field and will be more people just enjoying music. I can't listen to people just looking for openings to shit on phish anymore. The internet is already full of people just shitting on other people's likes.

You're the best Harris!