🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Brett Arnold

Episode 45 — Comments Disabled

Scott Aukerman, Christian Finnegan & Emily Heller join Jake live from UCB-LA on this week's Fogelnest Files! Ice Cube's guide to Los Angeles is highlighted, as are a couple of strange videos that include some (potential Australian) boys "being mental" and covering Devo. An amazing video uploaded by Dazed and Confused's Wiley Wiggins is also discussed. You can find all the clips featured on the show by visiting Jake's YouTube channel.

• Like 5

Those guys could be Australian, but not certain they're in Australia. The description for the video says "factory in Napa California". Anyway, wonderful episode.

I can't believe these guys couldn't figure out that the most Candian-sounding person ever (aside from maybe Jon Dore's mother) was Canadian.

OK, here's a pretty deep cut that I'm hoping someone can help me out with, because this show brought it into my head and I have no idea how I would go about finding it with Google or whatever - There was a song that sampled that Arthur Brown song, most prominently the "I BRING YOU". I'd guess it was from the early to mid '90s, but it could be older. I'd call the genre hard rock/industrial, like Ministry or KMFDM. Anybody?

EDIT - I figured it out, maybe not as obscure as I was thinking. "Lunchbox" by Marylin Manson, from 1995.

• Like 1

That clip of the Boy George snake piqued my interest, so I attempted to find out more information. But all I could find was a video of the opening credits, which only raised INFINITELY MORE QUESTIONS.

It's entirely improvised? By children? The opening titles lists everybodys ages? The children are playing adults? What?

You've thrown me down a rabbit hole, Fogelnest.

• Like 3

Arthur Brown is one of the pioneers of progressive rock. Don't lump him in with your shame videos Mr. Jake Fogelnest. That is very unprofessional; you know nothing about rock.

Arthur Brown is one of the pioneers of progressive rock. Don't lump him in with your shame videos Mr. Jake Fogelnest. That is very unprofessional; you know nothing about rock.

Buddy, if you don't think Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come isn't next on my list, you underestimate my commitment to discussing the silliness of prog rock.

P.S. There's Zappa talk coming too!

• Like 1

I'll keep my review simple Jake...

*ahem*

Another amazing episode, Jake

That is all.

*takes a bow.... leaves stage*

The menstration PSA was a little too graphic. I think I might stick to internet clip comedy on tv. just joking. but seriously, scott pushed that joke too far. wow, I am still thinking about it. I guess you just have to stop talking about it or think of something else and then it'll stop, right? You just change the topic because if you keep referring to it, then such a horribly inappropriate joke just gets worse and worse, and I am really starting to feel weird about this. Okay, here I go. New topic.....ICE CUBE. aaahhhhh, phew. that's better. Hey, isn't it weird how television is way more tolerant of bloody violence, then it is of ....shit, I am back. This joke never ends!

You wouldn't happen to be a puppet named Vance, would you?

• Like 1

I feel like Scott was unable to grasp the whole point of this episode, nay, The Fogelnest Files itself. He kept his derision to a maximum throughout the whole episode while our intrepid host kept insisting that this was more of a celebration of how much people were enjoying themselves, even if they look ridiculous and silly doing so. Sure, that kid with the katana is an awkward weirdo, but he is SO EXCITED at the prospect of getting the thing he likes, he got his family together to film him unwrapping it. And hell, I'm awkward and weird as hell, but am also way more cynical and full of misanthropy then that kid, so which one of us is a happier human?

Also, I may love Devo, but I've never been able to get together with another Devo fan and lip-sync to "Whip It" while shirtless inside a factory.

I heard a lot of "aws" from Scott during the clip with the Samurai sword. I think when he looks at that kid, he is wondering if there's a chance any future Scotty spawn will behave like that.

the Arthur Brown clip totally cemented my love for this show. when i was 14 years old my dad sat me down and told me all the punk music i loved was bullshit and that i should listen to the first punk and proceeded to play me his original copy of the crazy world of arthur brown in it's entirety. it was the same year he also played me the MC5 for the first time and screamed "kick out the jams motherfucker" in my face at thanksgiving

I was just re-listening to this one today and since it first aired I have become obsessed with Korean television and I can explain the "bad case of loving you" clip now!!

It's from a show that's (translated) called "Born Great" and it's was a general singing competition type show where they got split into teams and had celebrity mentors like x factor and whatever...

But everyone was wondering about the text on the screen, and all Korean variety/reality shows have excessive amounts of text on the screen. Sometimes it's expositional explanations, sometimes it's just a textual representation of something someone just said for emphasis, or if someone does something embarrassing for example they might put "embarrassed" in big text on both sides of their face. Sometimes it's annoying and sometimes it's delightful. Also, they do this thing where if anything exciting or funny happens they will replay it 5 or 6 times from every angle available and sometimes extra slow the way people sometimes edit youtube videos. It's bonkers. I love it so much.

Anyway... I just felt like retroactively answering questions just in case anyone wanted to know.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this