🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 14 — Henry Rollins

Ultimate punk rocker Henry Rollins joins Jeff to discuss the important things in life such as taking baths, tearing up at weddings, and switching bodies. Henry explains how curiosity & traveling by himself quite often opens people up and has lead to him to eat rat in Southern India, walk the streets of Pakistan the day after the assassination of Benazir Bhutto, and become buddies with an animated tour guide in Vietnam. After knowing all the incredible things Henry has done in his travels, Jeff makes a proposition to him that he wants no part of.

• Like 3

So damn excited for this episode. Thank you thank you thank you, Jeff, for getting the greatest guests for this podcast. Stellar job.

Not a Rollins stan but I really wish Jeff would let the man talk. In every episode:

"Something something Im Jewish"

"Something something Im fat"

and mentions Larry David and the microphone

• Like 3

I love this show and think Jeff is awesome, but in this case I have to agree that he wasn't on top form. On this episode, Jeff seemed more interested in getting across his next joke than actually listening to Rollins.

Again, I love By The Way and look forward to every episode. I just think this one was a rare miss.

Pretty much what I expected from Henry. He does seem to take himself pretty seriously, despite him saying otherwise. Knowing more about his background does explain a lot though and he has gotten way less aggressive over the years.

By far my favorite episode. Jeff, I think you should continue to mix in guests who aren't your "friends". I think it adds a lot to the interviewing process.

A better name for this podcast might be "The Garlin Interruption."

• Like 3

I agree that Jeff was stepping on his stories too much, and it was such a relief when Rollins busted out that lengthy, poignant soliloquy at the end, and Jeff finally let the man talk. Part of it might be Jeff's ADD, which he has mentioned, but I think that's why he calls these "conversations" rather than "interviews," because he is fully aware that he does more than just ask questions and listen. But in this interview, maybe because I like Rollins so much, the interruptions were more grating. Although, I have to give it to Jeff that he does ask good questions, and I like when he asks the person to go back and discuss a subject that they glossed over. All in all, I was happy to hear Rollins speak for so long. Great choice, Jeff!

• Like 1

I took forever to get to this one, but I loved it.

Pretty much what I expected from Henry. He does seem to take himself pretty seriously, despite him saying otherwise.

I expected that he would be a guy who takes himself very seriously, but if he did, he would have had to get infuriated by Jeff laughing at so many things, and I don't get the impression that he's willing and/or able to hide it if he gets infuriated by something.

Overall, I didn't think Jeff's interruptions were any worse than usual.

Sign in to follow this