🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 192 — Plantation Style Wedding

Andrew & Beau discuss a caller’s dilemma of having a friend who doesn’t think having a plantation style wedding is racist. Don’t forget to keep leaving us messages by calling (323) 389-RACE.

Beau is right. They have weddings at plantations where people were raped and killed and tortured all the time. You never hear about people getting married at a concentration camp in Europe.

• Like 1

plantations? very racist. absolutely absurd

• Like 1

Maybe this is being way nicer than they deserve, but I could even be fine with having a plantation wedding. I mean sure, the worst of them had slaves being routinely beaten, raped, and killed. But there were plenty of plantations that didn't have slavery--there were plantations in non-slave states, for one, and I wouldn't doubt there were plantations owners out there who didn't believe in slavery. I don't necessarily consider that inherent to plantations.

In fact, I think it would be pretty easy to have a "plantation-style" wedding, and not have it be horrifying and racist. All you have to do is NOT FUCKING HIRE BLACK PEOPLE TO ACT LIKE SLAVES AND SERVE YOU. That's what seems so fucked up to me personally. It would be so easy to just hire some goddamn white people to wait on you. But the fact that they would go out of their way to make sure that this is a bunch of 1800s style white people being served by black people dressed as slaves, just to give it that "authentic" feel, is where it crosses the line from "pretty weird, maybe racist" to "KKK-level racist."

Sign in to follow this