Episode 193 — Mash-Ups

9 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

Earwolf Buddy

• Administrators
  • 1,366 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

Andrew Ti and this week’s guest Beau Sia go out by discussing whether mash-ups such as “The Grey Album” are racist if it’s the only way people would listen to Jay-Z. As always, leave us a message about anything you think is racist at (323) 389-RACE.

#2 Hyde Parker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:35 PM

At this point aren't the only people who listen to Jay Z middle-aged white people and Samsung customers?

#3 Shariq Torres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:36 AM

View PostHyde Parker, on 11 July 2013 - 11:35 PM, said:

At this point aren't the only people who listen to Jay Z middle-aged white people and Samsung customers?

Hyde, I feel like you either hate all rap and love 'real' music like heavy metal and whatever the fuck Vampire Weekend does, or you love hip-hop but only the 'real' hip-hop made by Mac Miller, Macklemore, Eminem, Kreyashawn (you know where I'm going with this).

#4 LemonDropKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationNashville

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

Actually, at one point I was a die-hard Jay-Z fan but I find it so hard to get excited about his new output that I haven't even listened to MCHG yet (and I defended Blueprint 3 a LOT.) That doesn't mean I'm not still going back and bumping Reasonable Doubt. Killer Mike, Underachievers, Doppelgangaz, Captain Murphy and a lot of others are making hip-hop that is both "more interesting" and also catchier as music to me these days. And Just Blaze (the best producer Jay-Z ever had, including Kanye) is producing the next Slaughtahouse album, so no way am I going to miss Royce over Just Blaze beats.

That said, you shouldn't NEED a mash-up to listen to the Black Album, because that shit is still awesome, but some of the remix versions were really good (Danger Mouse's wasn't my favorite. DJ Kno had a great one.)

Oh and I expected to hate that Mac Miller album but I don't.

#5 pfchangs

Just some a-hole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationWisconsin :(

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

Rolling Stones record in the 90s comparison was on point

#6 Hyde Parker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

View PostShariq Torres, on 12 July 2013 - 04:36 AM, said:

Hyde, I feel like you either hate all rap and love 'real' music like heavy metal and whatever the fuck Vampire Weekend does, or you love hip-hop but only the 'real' hip-hop made by Mac Miller, Macklemore, Eminem, Kreyashawn (you know where I'm going with this).

Swing and a miss, although the new Vampire Weekend album is supposed to be good.

The Black Album has two stellar tracks ("99 Problems," "Dirt Off Your Shoulder") and a bunch of middling-to-good ones. I'll more likely sit through a themed remix like The Grey Album for the novelty of it than the original record.

#7 Kevin Irmiter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

View PostShariq Torres, on 12 July 2013 - 04:36 AM, said:

No love for Snow? ;_;

#8 mall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

'real' music is very racist imo

#9 wolfhaley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

I agree with everything but did he say Bright Eyes is sexist? I just don't know what that's referring to.

#10 pkm1000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

I love the show. Has anyone seen the movie WHITE DOG. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084899/. The movie is attempting to generate empathy towards racists themselves, and shed some light on their story. The movie uses a "german" shepherd as an allegory for the racist condition. You should have an episode where you all lose it and list everything that is insanely racist.