🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 67 — Sharknado

Things I noticed:

In the crawl on the news report the only things mentioned were things that happened to the main characters: 4 missing from Pier, Landslide in Beverly Hills, Bus full of children saved. This is just repeated over and over again on the crawl. You'd think with catastrophe this big there would be a few more things to report.

Finn must have superhuman strength to be able to hold a piece of sheet metal in the closet while winds strong enough to take every single plane off the ground was blowing in the hanger (luckily the sharknado was nice enough to leave them a helicopter)

When they were dropping the bombs into the sharknado why didn't Nova ever have them ready to go. Each time she had to reach back, spend time rummaging, and finally get the bomb before getting it ready to drop. Why not just have the bombs ready to go each time?

Every time they showed the city shots of the Sharknados, the entire city had nothing happend to it other than there were sharknados. There were no explosions, no damage to buildings, nothing. However, at the end, they showed the city and it was in post-apocalyptic ruin with smoke rising from various points.

• Like 1

Also -- do liquor stores in Los Angeles stock toiletries and stuff? Is that actually a thing or just this movie?

Last time we visited some family in LA, we drove through the "Little Japan"(?) part of the city and there was a Family Mart there. Typical conveni but they stock some Japanese snacks and such. I grabbed some Umeboshi candy. Not sure why it randomly appeared in this movie.

Yup, you can get basic toiletries at the liqour store in LA. The "liqour store" is really just a convenience store here.

It's called Little Tokyo.

Anyway, on to this crazy movie.

- Anybody else a little skeeved out when John Heard's character tries to cop a feel on Nova?

- When the shark crashes through the bar window there's a busty blonde in the white bikini who apparently falls down and forget how legs worth because she can't seem to figure out how to get up. Same for Nova, on the dock she falls down and there's a shark at her feet and she also can't seem to just get up and run away. Which leads me to one of my favorite parts...

- John Heard saves nova by smacking a shark with a bartstool! I can't believe they never mentioned that in the podcast.

- Why the fuck was that lady's dog stuck in the car in the first place? During a storm she got out of her cart, left the keys in, and locked the door?

- When John Heard is chomped on by a shark, from off screen he yells "OW!" To me, this was the most hilarious moment of the movie. Ow? A shark is tearing you apart and you yell "Ow!"? Priceless.

- A shark lands on their truck and for some reason doesn't just slip off how I'd imagine a wet shark normally would if it was on top of a speeding flat surface.

- Fin shows no emotion at all when he learns Nova has died. "Where's Nova?" "She didn't make it." "Go with your mom blah blah blah." He doesn't not give him pause AT ALL to learn that she's dead. Is that because he knew he'd just coincidentally find her in a shark's belly minutes later?

- Bus driver getting killed by one of the letters from the Hollywood sign, come on HDTGM, you're not going to mention that at all?

Sharknado was a lot of fun. Did not disappoint.

• Like 2

I forgot to mention the store owner being a conspiracy theorist who thought the government was responsible for the sharknados. I kinda just love the idea of corrupt government officials in a secret meeting and one of them goes "I think I know a way for us to all get what we want... we'll destroy LA with shark-filled tornados!"

In the scene where they are driving up to the Hollywood Hills to Tara Reid's house (on top of a hill is the most dangerous place to be during a flood) they are definitely simulating rain by using the cars windshield washer.

I forgot to mention the store owner being a conspiracy theorist who thought the government was responsible for the sharknados. I kinda just love the idea of corrupt government officials in a secret meeting and one of them goes "I think I know a way for us to all get what we want... we'll destroy LA with shark-filled tornados!"

That's actually the plot of like EVERY "genetically-engineered (insert type of animal here)" movie on SyFy. For some reason, the military thinks there's some value in experimenting on alligators, snakes, starfish, worms, goldfish, etc. to turn them into some sort of secret weapons, but (waaaaaait for it) something always goes wrong. I'm thinking that "Sharknado 2" will reveal this!

• Like 1

What happened the kids that Fin wasted time repelling down to rescue?

There was a shot showing them all being loaded up into a single ambulance and being driven away.

John Heard saves nova by smacking a shark with a bartstool! I can't believe they never mentioned that in the podcast.

And he says something to the effect of, "Don't make fun of my stool ever again"

• Like 1

Did anyone watch this as a sequel to Home Alone? Mr. McCallister is a broken man. Mrs. McCallister left him for a younger man, none of his kids will talk to him except for Kevin, who lives in the guest house. Kevin has been unable to move on with his life, haunted by his demons of being hunted by two creepy burglars and having had to fend for himself, not once, but twice. One day while Mr. McCallister is drinking at his favorite bar, far away from his house a shark hurricane hits, leaving Kevin stranded at home to fend for himself.

• Like 2

Guys I'm still hung up on a very basic aspect of this movie.

Obviously the end of the movie sees 3 sharknadoes making their way through LA. But where did they come from? Before the sharknadoes was Hurrican David. Unlike June, I don't know much about tornadoes, are tornadoes EVER caused by hurricanes? Are we to understand that a hurricane hit the shores of Santa Monica then instantly morphed into 3 sharknadoes?

Ok, I clearly just watched the movie last night and listened to the podcast today because I definitely said things that they covered in the podcast.

2 notes on the episode:

1. A tornado that picks up water is called a waterspout.

2. Hurricanes are named male names. Hurricane Andrew hit Louisiana (where I live) when I was just a fetus in 1992.

Great episode. Even greater movie.

How about (a version taken from the outakes of talladega nights) : Packs of wild stray dogs that control most of the major cities. Like in a horribly awesome post apocalyptic storyline with cheesy monologues by the leads about the day everything changed. :P

At some point Hurricanes were only named female names. I want to say around 1980 they added male names and now they alternate by letter. Anyone who thinks there are only female names is probably just old...

Andrew, Hugo, Floyd, and Ivan are significant male named ones.

So is this week's episode going to be a mini-ep, or is it going to be that Tyler Perry movie Hot Soccermom had to watch? Three weeks of straight full HDTGM would probably cause a Mortal Kombat style fatality on my brain.

I figured we'd get the other live episode they recorded with Demolition Man.

I agree with the group that it seemed like Nova and Fin were supposed to get together. I also find it really weird that the first actor billed in the opening credits is Tara Reid, when the actual star gets an "And Ian Ziering" at the end of it, like he's a special guest.

That's supposed to be prestigious. You notice it on some TV shows. Like on American Horror Story. It's everyone else, AND Jessica Lange at the end.

Sharknado cosplay from Comic Con last weekend:

nI8DmaA.jpg

This reminds me, I'd love to see a gallery of ComiCon one-hit-wonders, like the year that a lot of people went as characters for a movie that was coming out that really shit the bed, or something that no one remembers! There HAS to be a guy that went as the Vincent Perez version of the Crow or something. Maybe the Phantom?

Would that be a mechanical tornado full or sharks, or a tornado full of mechanical sharks? OR A MECHANICAL TORNADO FULL OF MECHANICAL SHARKS?!

• Like 2

16 Min in. I literally have to stop listening becuase I'm crying with laughter over June decribing a tornado and how she thinks the sharks first priority would be to find water once they hit the ground.

So apparently you'll be able to see Sharknado on the big screen at your local Regal theater.

'Sharknado' in Theaters Aug. 2

“You know how audiences have had fun with Rocky Horror Picture Show over the years. If the internet reactions to this film are any indication, then our moviegoers are primed and ready to enjoy Sharknado larger than life in cinemas,” Chris Sylvia, director of digital marketing for Regal Entertainment Group, said in a statement. “Regal is proud to be giving our guests this chance to fuel the social media whirlwind by inviting friends to come to the show and tweeting reactions.”

They even managed a pun, I'm impressed.