🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 46 — WAIT, WHUUUT?

Jon Wurster of Superchunk & The Best Show on WFMU joins Jake to talk Philly, Power pop, and rock docs on this week’s edition of THE FOGELNEST FILES! Jon tells us about his history with The Dead Milkmen, joining the band The Right Profile at the right time, and the origin of the Power pop Pop-Pop character. Jon & Jake also take a look at Robbie Rist covering “Billy Don’t Be A Hero,” Marky Ramone’s spaghetti sauce, and Frank Zappa on What’s My Line. Check out all the videos over at youtube.com/TheFogelnestFiles!

• Like 1

In the spirit of this episode I want to mention my mom grew up outside of Pottstown (just down the road from Harleyville) and she always maintained she went to Sunday school with one Daryl Hohl...

Superchunk--Lollapalooza second stage. Charles Town, West Virginia. I was there!

edit: RFTC is back together and playing shows. at least in Europe...

We have had the same Ghostbusters parody car commercials here in Austin for at least 10 years. But ours say "Call Champion!" instead of AutoNation.

I googled our Champion dealership for more research and found that their website is now affiliated with AutoNation. So am I to assume that a local dealership was acquired by a large corporation and the suits saw their commercials and were like, "That Ghostbusters parody is AMAZING. We are taking this thing national!!"

Crack open "The Guide to Making an Uncompelling Podcast" much? Cuz it don't sound loike you do!

This great episode inspired me to go back and listen to my favorite Best Show moment. Jon called in as a "relaxation expert" who used his techniques to help Tom relax. Everything goes well for about 10 minutes, until Jon starts introducing members of the Bush Administration into Tom's relaxation scenario. I don't think I have ever laughed as hard in my life as I did when I heard that segment for the first time.

• Like 1

edit: RFTC is back together and playing shows. at least in Europe...

RFTC has done a couple shows here in San Diego

Agh, he said he'd do it and he did it! Oh Zappa, when will you be understood for the genius you are?!

I have to admit though, I remember being a teenager and having my dad put on Weasels Ripped My Flesh and finding it to be both disturbing and uninteresting musically. There's something about this kind of stuff that grows on me the older I get.

All I ask is that you be kind to King Crimson. Robert Fripp is a gentle soul who's been making good music for decades.

When I saw who the guest was, I was really concerned that I would be reading on Dead Line Hollywood, "Podcast host Jake Fogelnest was attacked with a Laser-whip at the Earwolf Studios. Told Ya!"

• Like 1

What a hilarious and lovely guy Wurster is.

Funny how Jake just happened to find that GG Allin cover the same week I posted it in the submit clips thread ;)

how do you play .RAM or whatever? i just wanted to go listen to the thing you brought up, spent 15 minutes trying to figure out what would play it, and failed.

man, fuck any site that tried to make "real media" a thing, it's garbage, and by now you should have converted to mp3 or something normal and not shitty

The newer episodes have a pop-up player, but for the older episodes, like this one i just down-load it and play it with realplayer, I know that might seem like a hassle, but that episode is fantastic, I'll second a recommendation for it.

The newer episodes have a pop-up player, but for the older episodes, like this one i just down-load it and play it with realplayer, I know that might seem like a hassle, but that episode is fantastic, I'll second a recommendation for it.

Yeah, unfortunately that's how I have to do it as well. If you can get it to work, the "relaxation expert" segment happens towards the end of the episode IIRC.

Yeah, unfortunately that's how I have to do it as well. If you can get it to work, the "relaxation expert" segment happens towards the end of the episode IIRC.

How dare you tell him to skip over the Spike call, that was Spike at his finest/creepiest, before he became boring. Show Spike some respect.

How dare you tell him to skip over the Spike call, that was Spike at his finest/creepiest, before he became boring. Show Spike some respect.

R.I.P(ossible?) John Wesley Shipp.

• Like 1

man, fuck any site that tried to make "real media" a thing, it's garbage, and by now you should have converted to mp3 or something normal and not shitty

To be fair, the Best Show goes back a long, long way. Back in the olden days (fooling around with glasses, adjusting dentures) a lot of us thought .RM files were gonna be a thing. With the benefit of hindsight, we all now realize that "real" files suck eggs. But the task of archiving all that old stuff is a monumental one. So we might have to do like they did in "Fahrenheit 451" and re-enact all the classic bits for each other.

So just try and have some perspective on things. You're getting all worked up. You're getting all mad ... like a rattlesnake at a Thai wedding.

how do you play .RAM or whatever? i just wanted to go listen to the thing you brought up, spent 15 minutes trying to figure out what would play it, and failed.

Subscribe to best show gems on itunes for mp3's of some of the best of the Wurster calls.

I wanted to listen to this episode, but my mom put it on top of the fridge and I couldn't reach it.

• Like 3

Jake, the doo wop band that Zappa produced was The Persuasions!

• Like 1

Serrated Edge was one of my favorite Dead Milkmen songs. When I was in my teens, it was probably my favorite song of all time.

Agh, he said he'd do it and he did it! Oh Zappa, when will you be understood for the genius you are?!

I have to admit though, I remember being a teenager and having my dad put on Weasels Ripped My Flesh and finding it to be both disturbing and uninteresting musically. There's something about this kind of stuff that grows on me the older I get.

hahaha my dad is a huge Zappa/Mothers fan so i experienced a lot of that as a kid too. Weasels Ripped My Flesh has some great stuff on it though.. My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama is fucking awesome