🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 198 — A Quality of Music Complaint

Andrew Ti and this week’s guest Ted Lange IV discuss important things regarding the code words that people who hate Hip-Hop use and offer a solution to caller’s recent music noise complaint. As always, leave us a message about anything you think is racist at (323) 389-RACE.

I do think it's possible for an older person to actually be offended by NWA's lyrics coming loud and clear through their apartment wall.

And I do think this is an issue that is somewhat unique to hip-hop. Obviously, there are heavy metal songs with equally explicit content, but when it's being sung/screamed in between trebly guitars, you're less likely to decode the lyrics when hearing it through a wall.

I bet that if "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails was being cranked, though, the neighbor would be just as upset by "I want to fuck you like an animal" as he would by "fuck the police."

My point being, although there's possibly a racial element (and I do agree with Andrew's assertion that much of "anything but hip-hop" has a racial overtone), let's allow for the possibility that some old people are cranky, easily offended, and don't want to hear ANY R-rated content.

Sign in to follow this