Episode 203 — NPR

4 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

Earwolf Buddy

• Administrators
  • 1,366 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

Andrew Ti and this week’s special guest Kurt Braunohler finish off the week by discussing a story on NPR that could have came across as patronizing to the black youth of South Side, Chicago. As always, leave us a message about anything you think is racist at (323) 389-RACE.

#2 Michael Wo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:35 AM

Any way you guys could loop that outro music?

#3 rowsdower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

This is one of those calls where I think the caller is trying too hard to be down and is failing. Listeners of NPR aren't all white and upperclass. I would venture that all of the people of color I know listen to This American Life. Am I less black because I listen to NPR and found that Harper High School piece informative, poignant, and heartbreaking?

I should ask Andrew if people assuming that people of of color don't like NPR, craft beer, and independent films is racist. Oh wait, I don't even have to ask.

#4 Sol Goldman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

View Postrowsdower, on 26 July 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

This is one of those calls where I think the caller is trying too hard to be down and is failing. Listeners of NPR aren't all white and upperclass. I would venture that all of the people of color I know listen to This American Life. Am I less black because I listen to NPR and found that Harper High School piece informative, poignant, and heartbreaking?

I should ask Andrew if people assuming that people of of color don't like NPR, craft beer, and independent films is racist. Oh wait, I don't even have to ask.

I agree; when Andrew stereotypes "white people" he also alienates everyone else. Not very constructive.

#5 rowsdower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

View PostSol Goldman, on 26 July 2013 - 06:33 PM, said:

I agree; when Andrew stereotypes "white people" he also alienates everyone else. Not very constructive.

I wasn't referring to Andrew rather Chelsea from California - the caller.