Episode 68 — Over The Top: LIVE!

69 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

Earwolf Buddy

• Administrators
  • 1,536 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

Put your hat backwards in preparation for your second dose of Stallone as Bobby Moynihan joins us to discuss the arm wrestling obsessed world of Over The Top! We discuss everything from the weird father/son relationship to the movie basically becoming a high stakes arm wrestling documentary. We also talk about the possibility of Stallone’s wife being insane, product placement in the form of Alka-Seltzer, and why being able to drive a truck makes you smart.

#2 Ryan Sz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

"I always wanted to be a milkshake!"

Posted Image

#3 KilgoreTrout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:26 PM

Second dose of Stalone?

#4 KilgoreTrout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:32 PM

Ohhh Because Sharknado popped up between these. Otherwise it woulda been a true double dose of Stalone

#5 ADoer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:57 AM

JDR lasers - They become 'Hawks' when the father and son get together.

- and yep, the mom has to be in a crazy hospital "I have to go now" with the crazy-lady haircut.

This was one of THE best episodes and one of the greatest all-time horrible movies! HDTGM is blowing up!

#6 Dan Engler

The Wolf Dan

• Moderators
  • 627 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:34 AM

What exactly is an "arm wrestler"?

#7 Sheldon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:46 AM

In case anyone is wondering it finished 4th behind Platoon, Outrageous Fortune, and Mannequin (!).

http://boxofficemojo...wknd=07a&p=.htm

#8 AlamoBasement

cap n' crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Locationnew jersey

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:40 AM

"I think I have a question about trucking..." fuck yes bobby is a fantastic guest! great movie choice for this..thanks HDTGM

#9 RobotsPajamas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

I wish this was fake, but it is not. (Note: Last name Hawks)

Posted Image
Super Happytime Fun Blog: The Robots Pajamas

Twitter: Robots PJs

Facebook: Robots Pajamas

#10 HeyTedBaxter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:27 AM

Was saying "stop the presses" then talking audio books intentional or.....?

#11 jeffdacock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:23 AM

Mike Hawk

#12 PlanBFromOuterSpace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationEvans City, PA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:34 AM

View PostHeyTedBaxter, on 30 July 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

Was saying "stop the presses" then talking audio books intentional or.....?

Also, it's not any sort of honor for Audible to be your sponsor, because they'll let ANYONE run a train on them. I mean, I thought Stamps.com was a slut, but Audible's been giving up that ass for years and years and years...
Leonard Part 6: A Film Without Equel

#13 PlanBFromOuterSpace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationEvans City, PA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

View PostSheldon, on 30 July 2013 - 03:46 AM, said:

In case anyone is wondering it finished 4th behind Platoon, Outrageous Fortune, and Mannequin (!).

http://boxofficemojo...wknd=07a&p=.htm

And that was "Outrageous Fortune" in it's third week! Aside from vaguely remembering that I saw every movie that was on Showtime from 1987-1991 or so, I wouldn't even know what "Outrageous Fortune" is!

#14 Jackson1326657838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

OMG Yes! I Love the gif!

#15 PlanBFromOuterSpace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationEvans City, PA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:44 AM

Hey, so how come in his action movies where he's a one-man army or a cop that (get this) plays by his own rules, Stallone is an unstoppable force of nature, but in his "serious" sports films, they always try to make him seem like the underdog, like he MAY not win, so they throw in some stupid rule to sway things in his favor in case he fucks up or finds himself nearly defeated, like the no TKO rule in "Rocky IV" (he LITERALLY gets knocked down like 128 times in one round) or the double elimination (double elimination, double elimination, double elimination...) rule in this?

Also, a sequel/reboot/re-imagining of this film would of course have to be called "THE Over the Top".

#16 PlanBFromOuterSpace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationEvans City, PA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

Does Stallone's hat have different settings when he switches it, like that cyborg hillbilly with the dial in "Judge Dredd"?

#17 MrWompler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationIn a shed in Castaic

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

Before listening to this episode I read the wiki article for the movie since I'd never seen it. Wikipedia list everyone in the Hawk/Hawks family as "Lincoln Hawk(s), Christina Hawk(s), Michael Hawk(s)" Which I thought was really weird. Finding out that this movie really does swing between two last names escalated it from Pretty Garbage to Next Level Shit
tumble over here || tweet over there

#18 WEdidITagain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

View PostMrWompler, on 30 July 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

Before listening to this episode I read the wiki article for the movie since I'd never seen it. Wikipedia list everyone in the Hawk/Hawks family as "Lincoln Hawk(s), Christina Hawk(s), Michael Hawk(s)" Which I thought was really weird. Finding out that this movie really does swing between two last names escalated it from Pretty Garbage to Next Level Shit

Posted Image
I literally couldn't believe this either.

#19 JustinL

Correction/Omission Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

I think the movie with the kid from the arcade grown up should be comparable to The Hustler or The Color of Money where Mike has become a legend on the arm wrestling circuit (both street and professional) and the kid wants revenge. Having no other recourse, he becomes a truck driver with the same company Hawks worked for. The legend of Hawks and his now legendary son are a constant slap in the face, so he spends years conditioning himself to be the best arm wrestler there is. After numerous wins, he seems unbeatable. Cocky, he shows up at Hawks & Son and challenges Mike. Never having learned how to go "over the top," he is beaten handily.

Deciding to drown his sorrows in maple syrup, he goes to a local Waffle House to calm down. He falls for a waitress who's stuck in a rut and decides to ride with him. The movie follows them as they bond and fall in love. He forgets his hatred for Mike Hawks. Now he wants to marry her. But on his paltry trucker's salary, he doesn't even have enough for a decent ring. The girl starts to feel foolish; that they rushed into things. What was she thinking, quitting her job and running away with a stranger?! But Arcade Guy is gonna prove he can be a good provider. The Vegas arm wrestling tournament is coming up and he's gonna win it for her! A hundred grand and a brand new firetruck (for some reason)!

Arcade Guy enters the tournament...but so does Mike. Obviously, it comes down to the two of them. It's a rigorous match, but Arcade Guy wins! But something doesn't sit right: Mike never went "over the top." He asks Mike why he didn't use his best move, one he had never beaten. Wouldn't he have won if he had? "Maybe," says Mike, "Maybe not. Now don't you have someone to propose to?" He immediately buys his girl a ring, she says yes, and they drive off into the sunset in their new firetruck.

And his two cronies? Gay lovers. Moved to Massachusetts, got married and bought a split-level in the suburbs.

#20 cat & beard

our fluoride is gluten free

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationShredstaurant

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

This episode knocked it out of the park. Everyone was totally on their game, and this was probably the best audience ever; they all had really great questions and comments.

"Mike, that's taken? Oh well how about Mike1? No, okay, Mike2. Really? Alright, Mike3? What?"

[2 hours later]

"MIKE264? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?"