🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 69 — Crocodile Dundee In Los Angeles

That’s not a podcast, THIS is a podcast! The Bitter Buddha himself, Eddie Pepitone joins us this week to talk about Crocodile Dundee’s misadventures in Los Angeles! We discuss the confusion over the spider in the hat scene, the Beverly Hills Cop-esque plot that appears later in the movie, and the insanity of the skunk in the freeway. Then, ESPN fantasy sports analyst Matthew Berry explains how he become involved in writing the movie, how he & his writing partner got into a public dispute with Paul Hogan over writing credit, and the one thing he’s proud of & is embarrassed by in the movie. Crikey!

OK, so maybe there are no skunks in Australia, but didn't he live in New York for awhile? It just seems like, at some point, skunks are gonna come up. I haven't seen this particular movie, so maybe the son had never seen a skunk, and that's why he thought it was a dog, and Mick was just holding the skunk while looking for the dog? No idea.

In Australia, we don't have skunks guys.

We also don't have books, wildlife documentaries, the internet, zoos, Looney Toons cartoons with Pepe Le Pew or the movie Bambi or really just general knowledge about animals. Truth.

But yeah, this movie sucked. Paul Hogan has basically made a career of being the Australian version of when Taco from the League appeared in the Sands of Passion as the American rapper-slash-cowboy-slash-cautionary tale.

• Like 3

Eddie was a great guest for the first half of the show. The only thing I don't particularly like about HDTGM is that Paul, June and Jason often talk over their guests to the point where the guests don't get to talk much at all in many episodes. Eddie made sure that didn't happen. Gotta love Eddie P. as a podcast guest in general. Really good episode!

• Like 2

Radio, Lightning Jack, Daddy Day Camp, and Snow Dogs, too. You could do a month of Cuba Gooding, Jr. movies. For a while there, Cuba just could not say no. It seemed like Cuba Gooding, Jr. was this generation's Michael Caine.

He may have turned it around, though. He's in The Butler, which looks like it could be really good.

• Like 1

Crocodile Dundee 2 is one of my favorite movies of all time. I like the first film too, but part 2 seemed to always be on tv and I'd watch it every time so it's kinda embedded in my brain and I just really love that film, I never get sick of it.

Crocodile Dundee 3 bummed me out, I was excited for it, but it was so disappointing that they turned it into a family film with a really dull story. Had they made a good film this would be my favorite trilogy of all time. The first 2 films manage to have a somewhat light tone to them while still feeling like there's real danger and stakes. In this movie, who cares about some bad guys smuggling paintings, if they get away with it there's nothing personally at stake for any of the characters so it seems kinda trivial, and Dundee deals with these bad guys so easily there's no drama to it at all. The bad guys NEVER get the upperhand. The easiest thing to do to raise the stakes and create some tension would be to put the son in danger. The kid really has no significance in the film, you could take him out and it would not change the gist of the story at all.

I haven't listened to the podcast yet, looking forward to hearing Eddie on it though. Never heard of the other guy, but from the looks of the minisode thread apparently he's a pretty controversial guy amongst people who know stuff about sports.

Did I hear Paul give a shout-out to some dude with a nightmare twitter handle of "snap the jap"?? Yet another reason why I'm glad to have taken the Mantzoukas approach to twitter.

I was a little surprised that Paul didn't bring up any possible connections between Matt Berry's love of fantasy football and Paul's FX show.

• Like 1

I was a little surprised that Paul didn't bring up any possible connections between Matt Berry's love of fantasy football and Paul's FX show.

Yeah, I thought that it was a missed opportunity but I'm already a fan so...

I didn't mind the format switch since that story was so effin' great. Thinking about what an egomaniac "Croc" is, I realized the movie was a total pitch for a TV show - Paul Rodriguez first mentions it and then Croc's last line!

Can someone please do a graphic for June Diane's "No! NO! Noooo!" when hearing about Croc's wife??

I feel that George Hamilton's spiel about colonics should have been discussed...Feel free to chime in here folks.

Did I hear Paul give a shout-out to some dude with a nightmare twitter handle of "snap the jap"?? Yet another reason why I'm glad to have taken the Mantzoukas approach to twitter.

Meh, twhatever, "Snap the Jap" not only gave HC cash to THIS show but I know he's quite a supporter of the whole LA podcast scene...I have been meaning to watch that 2:30 show or whatever that Zouks twittered on.

Can someone please do a graphic for June Diane's "No! NO! Noooo!" when hearing about Croc's wife??

gv5.gif

kxrp.jpg

• Like 12

Eddie was a delight, and Matthew Berry's insight was a lot of fun to listen to. Jason and Paul at the end were epic.

Pepitone speaks way too slowly and takes way too long to set up a joke for this setting. He's shooting a breach load musket in the matrix gun fight of HDTGM. Seems like a nice dude but he brought down the energy of this one.

Pepitone speaks way too slowly and takes way too long to set up a joke for this setting. He's shooting a breach load musket in the matrix gun fight of HDTGM. Seems like a nice dude but he brought down the energy of this one.

I'm pretty sure this is the first time Eddie Pepitone has been accused of bringing the energy down on anything.

• Like 3

Radio, Lightning Jack, Daddy Day Camp, and Snow Dogs, too. You could do a month of Cuba Gooding, Jr. movies. For a while there, Cuba just could not say no. It seemed like Cuba Gooding, Jr. was this generation's Michael Caine.

He may have turned it around, though. He's in The Butler, which looks like it could be really good.

And from what I've seen in the trailers for Machete Kills, Cuba doesn't even have a full role he's just a a disguise for Lady Gaga. I think he was just happy to be in a movie that was being released in theaters again.

Meh, twhatever, "Snap the Jap" not only gave HC cash to THIS show but I know he's quite a supporter of the whole LA podcast scene...

I thought the name sounded familiar, but I couldn't remember where I heard it. I think he was on an episode of Harmontown or something.

Second Opinion Theme by Jason Mantzoukas feat. MicusFicus (aka Michael Craft)

https://soundcloud.c...tgm-2nd-opinion

Download Link: http://bit.ly/147WLpF

It's official. Putting this on my iPod!

• Like 1

That Tunes theme is great too. It should totally be used if it hasn't already.

Thanks! To my knowledge they never used it, but I sort of fell off listening to WC on the reg so I might have missed it. It seemed like there was a 5 minute window where Howard was cool with covers, but then I never really heard any after those few times.

I liked this episode a lot, and while the regular format is great, this was a cool change of pace.

Jason being on Twitter, even for a half hour? Mind blown.

The fact that that scene with Mike Tyson was actually in a movie, for real? Mind double blown.

I'm surprised you guys didn't make any comments on Mike Tysons deep breaths that sounded like he was doing mass amounts of cocaine. Missed opportunities I tell you!