🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Lauren Tyree

Generation Gaps

I dug most of it, but the music needs to be downplayed, at times I could hardly hear people talking. Shit was so loud.

I get the guys want to show off their sweet tracks and how in the know they are with their catalog but take it down a notch.

But, pretty sweet overall.

• Like 1

I've heard good things about Cracked.com on the street but never got round to checking it out. I'm all aboard this bandwagon now though. Nice work y'all.

Didn't Radiolab do the "blue" story already?

Yes, that was acknowledged at the end of the show. (The end of the show was a quick summary of the music that was played, and the hosts also talked about some of the source material that was used for topics discussed).

I'm a daily reader of Cracked, and a podcast seems like a no brainer. This first episode was really good. My only issues were that most of the interesting facts were things I'd already seen on Cracked (a minor issue, as it's still interesting to hear it discussed), the music is a little intrusive at times, and not enough Seanbaby.

• Like 2

I thought it was really good for a first episode. They'll get the music down- seemed like kind of a This American Life feel, and I dig that. Also, I thought it kinda petered out before the credits for a show that seemed pretty well structured. I'll be listening again for sure.

This was a great first episode. It does seem like it quite hasn't been broken in yet (as in, it doesn't feel 100 per cent smooth yet), but it is off to a GREAT start and I love the inclusion of earwolf folks commenting at the beginning. I also love how they cite themselves, which is smart for a podcast that risks inaccuracies (there's so much misinformation out there, it is easy to get tripped up).

• Like 1

I'm a daily reader of Cracked, and a podcast seems like a no brainer. This first episode was really good. My only issues were that most of the interesting facts were things I'd already seen on Cracked (a minor issue, as it's still interesting to hear it discussed), the music is a little intrusive at times, and not enough Seanbaby.

Yeah, the music non-sequitors were a bit too random (or at the very least overused) for my taste. Otherwise it was a great first episode.

I love Cracked and was surprised when I saw they had a podcast. I immediately rushed to iTunes to subscribe before I even listened to it. It was a great first episode overall. Clearly they have put a lot of thought into it, because it seemed to go relatively smooth. The preplanned bits worked well, and I thought the overall theme of the show was clearly seen throughout the different segments. I also thought the footnotes section at the end in which the music and inspiration for the topics was credited was a smart idea. I loved that we got to hear from Dan and Seanbaby as well. I hope in future episodes other writers will drop by. All that said I have two critiques or complaints about the show.

1. I am glad to see I'm not alone on the whole music issue. First I should say this is probably because hip hop and rap and not really my thing. While I get the bump/transitional effect they are suppose to provide, I often found them to be overly aggressive coming on really loud or not really flowing naturally. Instead of the desired glide into the next bit effect, it was more like a slap and being told were moving on. Hopefully they'll sort out the levels and every time provide a wide variety of types of music.

2. This is more of a comment than a critique. I really don't see the Flynn effect in movie trailers and music like they were claiming. Movie trailers now tend to give out key scenes and reveals for the sake of getting people in the seats. Also I don't get how Kanye West's newest album is more complex than some works of classical music or the work of Charles Mingus. Both these comments were just kinda thrown out there without any real support of discussion. With the movie trailers you could argue that people are so exposed now to certain tropes we get them instead of having to be sold them or something along of those lines and the whole Kayne thing seems to be more of an example of a talented person than the whole genre his in being smarter than what has come before. These things should have had some supported examples rather than just saying "it's the Flynn effect because they are more complex now."

Those two things aside, I eagerly await the next episode. Keep up the good work.

I am so excited you guys have podcast on here now! This made my day so much better. Awesome first podcast, I am seriously looking forward to hearing more. Also, I really enjoyed the music you played. It was a little loud at points but the songs themselves were awesome. :)

How did Bowie and Jagger not come up in the "scientifically impossible amount of jizz" discussion? That had to be from around the time of the "Dancing in the Streets" video. It could be that it wasn't mentioned because THAT was the one that was true...right?

As far as the 80's movie stuff goes, does anyone else remember the early days of video stores, like how zero thought was put it into designing the packaging whatsoever? It was like "Fuck it! It's a movie, and there are only several dozen available right now, it doesn't matter what's on the box! They'll rent it!". Sometimes you'd be lucky to have ANYthing on the front of the box that gave you any clue what the movie was about or who was in it. There was one company in particular that I remember having a mostly blank cover with a tiny picture in the middle that would be a screen cap from the movie of like the 8th-billed female or an extra screaming, and then it would turn out that it was in fact a comedy. Also, the back of the box would have less of a synopsis on the back and more of a full-blown dissertation of the movie that would read like a Wikipedia entry. "And then the hero does this, and then the hero does that, and then he discovers that the killer was this guy, and he fights this guy and kills this guy, but he's not dead and comes back in the last five minutes for one final fight....". Something like that.

As far as the 80's movie stuff goes, does anyone else remember the early days of video stores, like how zero thought was put it into designing the packaging whatsoever? It was like "Fuck it! It's a movie, and there are only several dozen available right now, it doesn't matter what's on the box! They'll rent it!". Sometimes you'd be lucky to have ANYthing on the front of the box that gave you any clue what the movie was about or who was in it. There was one company in particular that I remember having a mostly blank cover with a tiny picture in the middle that would be a screen cap from the movie of like the 8th-billed female or an extra screaming, and then it would turn out that it was in fact a comedy. Also, the back of the box would have less of a synopsis on the back and more of a full-blown dissertation of the movie that would read like a Wikipedia entry. "And then the hero does this, and then the hero does that, and then he discovers that the killer was this guy, and he fights this guy and kills this guy, but he's not dead and comes back in the last five minutes for one final fight....". Something like that.

Those old VHS covers were hand drawn and many times would be way more interesting and more professional than the actual movie. I remembered being suckered by the cover of a video, thinking that it would be good, and then I get something akin to The Room and I'm like, "shit, five bucks down the drain."

Also, I loved the music transitions. Anyone time you get to hear Ghostface, it's a good time. :)

Those old VHS covers were hand drawn and many times would be way more interesting and more professional than the actual movie. I remembered being suckered by the cover of a video, thinking that it would be good, and then I get something akin to The Room and I'm like, "shit, five bucks down the drain."

I like that we've SORT OF had a return of this with Netflix. I mean, there's nothing at stake, like you're not out 5 bucks for picking a shitty movie, but it's fun to see some of those EXACT same early 80's barbarian or post-apocalyptic movies with that awesome cover art to pop up, because I'll still check them out, at least for a few minutes.

• Like 1

I like that we've SORT OF had a return of this with Netflix. I mean, there's nothing at stake, like you're not out 5 bucks for picking a shitty movie, but it's fun to see some of those EXACT same early 80's barbarian or post-apocalyptic movies with that awesome cover art to pop up, because I'll still check them out, at least for a few minutes.

They caught me like that with a well designed poster (Photoshop) for a movie. I click on it, thinking it is going to be a nice production that I just maybe had missed, and it was on the Birdemic scale of productions. It's like they spent a large part of their money on hiring a good graphic designer instead of getting boom mics.

2 cents...

• In my school in 1987, Jon Bon Jovi was the semen chuggler.
  • Both things in the Die Hard trailer that you say didn't happen in the movie, did.