Episode 226 — Media Coverage of Rape In India

4 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

Earwolf Buddy

• Administrators
  • 1,711 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

On today’s episode, Tasneem & Andrew discuss the media’s possibly racist coverage of sexual harassment and rape in India. Be sure to keep leaving us messages at (323) 389-RACE.

#2 Cabbage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

Seriously deep shit, this is pushing Andrew's podcast persona in new and interesting directions. That faux "hello" at the beginning is foreshadowing, maybe he'll have an existential crisis.

#3 Shariq Torres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

I think that the circumstances around how an issue is brought up will definitely frame the discussion around that issue. Because if you only bring up the idea of rape culture but only in the context of "those people", then you aren't helping anything at all because it will not lead to any sort of self-reflection on the rape culture operating here, right now. Hell, because in many ways, the legal system in this country sanctions sexual violence against women.

#4 Kevin Irmiter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

That link is one of the most depressing things I have seen in a long time. As terrible as I think rape culture and the legal system are, they still manage to sink to new lows.

#5 Sly Sanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

View PostKevin Irmiter, on 30 August 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

That link is one of the most depressing things I have seen in a long time. As terrible as I think rape culture and the legal system are, they still manage to sink to new lows.

Oh man; never go to Jezebel or Gawker if you want to maintain a positive outlook on life. They link stories like that ALL. THE. TIME.
To embed clips, use "[xxmedia] [xx/media]" (remove the xx) tags, and chop off the 's' from "https://" at the beginning of Youtube URLs. Thanks @Vince_Frost. And thanks signature, so now I won't forget it!