🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 226 — Media Coverage of Rape In India

On today’s episode, Tasneem & Andrew discuss the media’s possibly racist coverage of sexual harassment and rape in India. Be sure to keep leaving us messages at (323) 389-RACE.

Seriously deep shit, this is pushing Andrew's podcast persona in new and interesting directions. That faux "hello" at the beginning is foreshadowing, maybe he'll have an existential crisis.

I think that the circumstances around how an issue is brought up will definitely frame the discussion around that issue. Because if you only bring up the idea of rape culture but only in the context of "those people", then you aren't helping anything at all because it will not lead to any sort of self-reflection on the rape culture operating here, right now. Hell, because in many ways, the legal system in this country sanctions sexual violence against women.

That link is one of the most depressing things I have seen in a long time. As terrible as I think rape culture and the legal system are, they still manage to sink to new lows.

That link is one of the most depressing things I have seen in a long time. As terrible as I think rape culture and the legal system are, they still manage to sink to new lows.

Oh man; never go to Jezebel or Gawker if you want to maintain a positive outlook on life. They link stories like that ALL. THE. TIME.

Sign in to follow this